Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got my first dripping atty, tips?

• 27-02-2016 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I just got into DIY juicing, so wanted an atty for flavour testing on the go. It's awkward and sluggish using tanks, no matter how many you got.

I wanted a Velocity, after looking about at reviews on various ones. But I wanted it now! :D My local iVape didn't have them in stock, so bought a Dark horse [clone]

It's a little tighter than I wanted and I'm not a fan of 3 posts [though it does have huge holes which is nice] I'm not the best with intricate crafting of any kind. I got some clapton wire 26/32, and also some standard 26g kanthal.

The clapton I found just frustrating, it was a LOT springier than I imagined. So I failed my first 3 attempts on that. Moved to the kanthal, and found it much easier, but still messed up a few coils before getting a usable one. I managed to get a dual coil set up reading 0.49 ohms, around about where i want to be. As I mostly use 0.4 - 0.6 ohm coils in tanks.

Any tips or tricks for building, especially using 3 posts?

The coil is running ... ok ... I'm getting a slight burning taset, even when it's well juiced. I am using Japanese cotton. Again, found this atty very tight, not much room for cotton, let alone a good amount of juice. So 3-4 good hits and it's top up time. But that's ok for testing flavours.

I have watched a few vids, but you know youtube, you get lost searching. If you got any easy to follow, simple builds for clapton, or just regular 26g, on anything like the dark horse, please post up. And any other tips you might have for a noob :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Hmmm, guess not many are into their attys? :/

took out the cruddy cotton and re-jiggled the coils, they're working much better now

Still want to make a decent stab at that Clapton though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

I only have the one dripper and it's a 3 post job. Nice vape off it but it's a pain in the butt to build on. I've only done dual kanthal coils and only rebuilt the coils twice so not much advice I could add.

I suppose the only issue is lots of rewicking like every 2 days for me but I do use it a lot. Great for popping around lots of different diy mixes.

Might pick up a few more from Fasttech. Something with a deeper well and better posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

This RDA is not for tasting juices,too much air & those post holes are massive,would suit Bull Wire Coils :D:D:D
    This is a competition cloud chasing atty,more air less taste & this only has a 2mm depth on the deck,I presume you know how to set your coils up by having the glow of the coil from the inside to out & setting the coil level with the airflow,more cotton on this rda & less on others.
    I would just use the clapton with a single build,but all honesty,the Dark Horse is not for you or me,you would need to drip every 3 vapes,use more drops & leaks will appear.
    Just follow these 3 videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXDSWHxUDyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5Jk-tjku0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOAafKLqSt4

Yeah I discovered this quickly, it just drinks juice. It is very airy, but the flavour is still good. I have it set to the minimum air flow, which is still like an airy tank say. I tried dual clapton again, and failed. It's taking an age for them to light up. So I might try a single build.

When you use the huge wide bore drip tip you can drip straight in, but on mine, with that attached the top won't screw down fully tight. Meaning the air flow control is free spinning. I will have to take it back, see if they have another top for it. I'll get another one soon, just wanted something to work on for now. I should have done more research :/

But if I can get it to fire up nicely, it'll do for now. I don't mind an airy draw once there's flavour, and there is thankfully. It's a really nice looking atty, mine came with 4 different air flow rings so you can change the colour, and 2 of the wide bore tips, one black, one white. Unfortunately they won't fit snug. The threads get too tight just before it closes proper. One thing I do love about it, and one of the reasons I opted for this one in the shop, was the big holes in the posts. For someone fiddly-fingered like me, that's a big plus. I had no trouble getting dual clapton into the center post.

Will watch the vids now, cheers

[edit] seen the Grimm Green one yesterday, he over exaggerates a bit in that one. He makes out like it's a LOT airier than it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I've an Advkn Mad hatter mini on the way from FT, supposed to be good.

Clapton coils can be easier to buy prewrapped. Pack of 10 for 6e from efag.

• Advertisement

Yeah I discovered this quickly, it just drinks juice. It is very airy, but the flavour is still good. I have it set to the minimum air flow, which is still like an airy tank say. I tried dual clapton again, and failed. It's taking an age for them to light up. So I might try a single build.

When you use the huge wide bore drip tip you can drip straight in, but on mine, with that attached the top won't screw down fully tight. Meaning the air flow control is free spinning. I will have to take it back, see if they have another top for it. I'll get another one soon, just wanted something to work on for now. I should have done more research :/

But if I can get it to fire up nicely, it'll do for now. I don't mind an airy draw once there's flavour, and there is thankfully. It's a really nice looking atty, mine came with 4 different air flow rings so you can change the colour, and 2 of the wide bore tips, one black, one white. Unfortunately they won't fit snug. The threads get too tight just before it closes proper. One thing I do love about it, and one of the reasons I opted for this one in the shop, was the big holes in the posts. For someone fiddly-fingered like me, that's a big plus. I had no trouble getting dual clapton into the center post.

Will watch the vids now, cheers

[edit] seen the Grimm Green one yesterday, he over exaggerates a bit in that one. He makes out like it's a LOT airier than it actually is.

In the for sale,there is a Velocity for sale...tenner

Always the way :D spend on something else and what you really wanted pops up right after

Always the way :D spend on something else and what you really wanted pops up right after

That is very true,there's always something closer to home :):)

That is very true,there's always something closer to home :):)

I actually got the darkhorse just down the road in iVape :D just bad timing. If I'd waited a few days. I claimed the velocity anyway, hard not to.

Update; brought the darkhorse back, and exchanged it for the Bellus RBA. Thought I'd give one a go. I got a Velocity this morning from a sale on here, and it is sweet! So easy build on! o why not try something different?

The Bellus was a bit of a nightmare for me at first, the 2 coils that came with, once installed, were hopping all over the place. Jumping from 0.15 up to 0.6 and anywhere in between. I tried everything, tightening posts, checking connections, usual lighting up and fixing in place ... no go. SO I tried building my own - the deck is tiny!! And the screw driver I use for wrapping is about 3mm, so the coils were just hanging a tad over the deck. Couldn't get them into the tank section. Searched the house for something slimmer. Then I saw it .... the wee blue screwdriver :D I made 2 coils using that to wrap, with Clapton wire, thinking no way I'd get wicking through it but since I've not many options gave it a go. Have to say, I impressed myself. 2 not too shabby little 5 wrap claptons around the blue screw driver and they just about fit snug. Giving me 0.3 ohms. Vaping like a champ. Getting through the frustration fails was the hardest part.

• Advertisement

Update; brought the darkhorse back, and exchanged it for the Bellus RBA. Thought I'd give one a go. I got a Velocity this morning from a sale on here, and it is sweet! So easy build on! o why not try something different?

The Bellus was a bit of a nightmare for me at first, the 2 coils that came with, once installed, were hopping all over the place. Jumping from 0.15 up to 0.6 and anywhere in between. I tried everything, tightening posts, checking connections, usual lighting up and fixing in place ... no go. SO I tried building my own - the deck is tiny!! And the screw driver I use for wrapping is about 3mm, so the coils were just hanging a tad over the deck. Couldn't get them into the tank section. Searched the house for something slimmer. Then I saw it .... the wee blue screwdriver :D I made 2 coils using that to wrap, with Clapton wire, thinking no way I'd get wicking through it but since I've not many options gave it a go. Have to say, I impressed myself. 2 not too shabby little 5 wrap claptons around the blue screw driver and they just about fit snug. Giving me 0.3 ohms. Vaping like a champ. Getting through the frustration fails was the hardest part.

I never tried the stock coils,I built a SS coil setup,I put the deck into the tank & checked to see if the coils didn't give a short before I wicked it.Everytime I fill up,it weeps through the airholes for about half an hour & then stops til the next fill up,maybe more cotton will stop it weeping,I fill from the bottom now & no weeping,I'll try another build when my cotton is finished.
    The Velocity is a great RDA with those 2 posts,I seem to buy any RTA now with a velocity deck,easier to see,even with my poor eyesight,it's holding the allen key that is hard for me as I have arthritis in the hands,I am always looking for a screwdriver type allen key,they must be out there somewhere,I have seen them with big sized allen keys but not the sizes we want for these atty's.

You want something like this right here: [5mins 15secs or so in, shows a tool you get with the twisted messes V2, it can be attached to a screwdriver

My Bellus started leaking like a bitch last night. Nothing like having hot liquid splurt all over your fingers! :/ I fiddled about with it, cleaned it up, and it went away after a bit of a vape.

I looked it up and discovered that what most of the reviewers tell us is wrong, regarding it's leak issues. You don't want to close the airflow at all when filling, and turning it upside fown does nothing. Instead line up the 2 circles, so the airflow is wide open, fill away, and you're good! It actually works. I think we're so accustomed to turning airflow off for fills it was what I automatically did. I have a Herakles that loves to piss juice when filled with the air holes open.

It has some serious flavour though, better than most sub tanks I would say for sure. The velocity beats it on that front though IMO, but that might be because you have a lot more freedom for your build.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I found the bulli dripper to be the best back when I was vaping. i miss it quite a bit, I often think about picking one up with a bottle of el toro cigarillos naturales and picking the habit back up again

strelok wrote: »
    I found the bulli dripper to be the best back when I was vaping. i miss it quite a bit, I often think about picking one up with a bottle of el toro cigarillos naturales and picking the habit back up again

Ah! One of my old fav's, Cigarillos!! :) Haven't heard that juice mentioned in a long time. That, and Virginia prime were 2 of my favourite tobacco liquids. I haven't touched a tobacco flavour in about 2 years though. All about the desserts and fruits nowadays

Yes Cagey,that is what I need,I see it is showing a 1.5mm that fits on that RDA,I'll be looking for a couple of sizes around the 1.5mm,lower & above sizes as well as the 1.5mm,time for more searching...

I just ordered these from Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351565764165?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I took the free shipping & using PM.

They should fit all my RDA's & RTA's that have hex screws...

Nice, just had a look about and there's tonnes of options, might grab something like that myself.

Has anyone tried some vertical coil builds? Just wondering if they find them better/worse than horizontal? for flavour and wicking

EjTrOaT.jpg

Just thought I'd throw this in. I was having trouble getting coils small enough for the Bellus, so for the craic tried clapton wrapped on the wee little blue screwdriver :D It worked fine, but wicking it was a nightmare.

I finally found my 2mm screwdriver though, so it's a lot easier now, and just doing normal kanthal coils for that one. But, it can be done :D

Nice, just had a look about and there's tonnes of options, might grab something like that myself.

Has anyone tried some vertical coil builds? Just wondering if they find them better/worse than horizontal? for flavour and wicking

The last time I built vertical coils was on a Genny using SS mesh & SS Rope about 3 years ago,they do say that the flavouring is alot better with vertical coils.I just lied :D:D:D I have a Marquis dripper which I built vertical coils on,I forgot all about that,it was a year ago...
    I think with all that airflow we get now,I don't think it will make much difference in flavour,you never know until you try it.The vertical stock coils seem to impress alot people but I find no difference at all.

I might give one a go later, on the Velocity. It's that easy build on, I can't see it being any trickier than standard. One benefit it less chance of spit back, as any popping juice will jut hit the walls :D Also if you like to just drip through your wide bore tips like me, it's going straight on wick

• Advertisement

Give me time and I'll have a stab at it. I'm only building about a week now :D

He's not wrong about the atty though. I don't have much to compare it to in that line, but the flavour is better than any of my sub ohm tanks [Atlantis, Herakles, sub tank nano, Herakles plus] - I also now have the Bellus RTA, and that's a tough match, as the flavour on that thing rocks! But the Velocity is a great little atty. I too, love that robot face :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

OK, first off you need to heat the wire so it turns red a few times, that should stop the wire from being so springy.
    If you are getting a burnt taste then the cotton probably isnt wicking properly, I've just started doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-hy9hmugk and its brilliant, wicks like a dream. Its important not to have the cotton too tight.

The freakshow is an excellent dripper, flavour and airflow, big clouds. Currently vaping on the mini version, Its three post but its an easy build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

macker33 wrote: »
    OK, I've just started doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2-hy9hmugk and its brilliant, wicks like a dream. Its important not to have the cotton too tight.

I use a variant of this method also,altho i dont roll it up, and its all i use all of the time. lemo2 and drippers. I use some wire cutoffs to fluff the tails and make sure not to compress them too much when tucking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Yup fluffiness is very important - good for wicking true but really the big effect is on flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭chipfox

I got a Trident from efag and the thing fell apart. They basically told me to be more careful, not impressed with them.

Have been looking on fasttech and and overwhelmed. Can anybody help me out? Ideally a big juice well, easiest deck to build with (velocity style? is that a make or type of deck) and massive air flow.

The Trident RDA is seriously a piece of sh1t, do not go near the thing. Flimsy as hell and it's like try to suck the last bit of juice out of an empty Capri Sun.

Is this sort of RDA any good? https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10012406/2106600-derringer-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

Really not sure what I'm after.

Afaik, the Velocity was the first to have the dual posts with 2 vertical holes. So any that have copied the idea refer to it as having a 'velocity style deck'. I'm new to building, and I can tell you that the Velocity is piss easy to build on. I mean, even if I was half-assed about it and half shot or not really paying attention, I'd manage to get a workable build on there. The juice well is also very deep towards many other attys. You can get clones for under $9 on fasttech

On the wicking, I have been fluffing up the ends on wicks for the Bellus, and it is working a treat. I'm also cutting them slightly shorter, so the wick isn't touching the bottom deck, more like half way between. It's working well for now at least. I must try this Scottish roll. That would be great for the Velocity, coupled with an already deep well. Would hold as much as a small tank :D

First time I tried the Scottish roll I was instantly converted. Chain vaping 6 second drags non stop and couldn't burn the cotton if I tried.

Is this what I would be looking for? https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10014538/2482500-velocity-styled-rda-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer

Also can anyone comment on fasttech's shipping? I need some new batteries and want to throw them in but not really sure. My 2 18650s can't deal that well with 60W. At about 30% full they can't draw enough power and my eVic drops the wattage automatically. Nice feature but I need the wattage for these low ohm builds

Yeah that looks identical to the one I got. Just mine is a tobeco clone, don't see any difference. I see they give some silica wick with it on FT .... why?? :D

I got some silica wick with my Trident. Don't see the point really, seems harder to work with and doesn't really offer anything extra as far as I can tell. I'm sure others will say otherwise but cotton works and I prefer when things just work.

What's the airflow like on that RDA? This Smoke TVF4 has me spoilt. The airflow is so big it's basically like breathing normally

• Advertisement

I like big airflow, and I find myself closing down the 'robot's mouth about half-way, and closing the 'eyes' over about half too. With everything wide open it's extremely airy I would say. better flavour closed down a bit. Sometimes I close the indirect air [the eyes] off completely. But there's tonnes of options in between. The bottom section locks into place, and the top moves independently up and down as you turn it. That's how you control the airflow.

Advertisement