Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello Tipperary - I've a question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So essentially you're saying you all voted him in out of spite. That really doesn't make Tipp look any better

Do you think that we here in the Premier county give 2 fuks how outsiders view us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Lets get something clear. Dublin has the lowest unemployment rate in the country. Tip doesn’t, so don’t think for a minute a cent of Tip money is going towards Dublin. The Subsidies are heading one way, and that’s from the cities to other areas, in some cases Dubliners are subsidising their country counterparts in the funding of local services by up to 50 times.

Before abolition town/borough councils only received general purpose grants from the local government fund of between €250k-€2m in funding.

Clonmel (borough) got over €2m in 2013 the other big towns in the county Thurles/Nenagh got €700-800k

Tipperary, Templemore, Cashel etc got under 600k.

Roscrea and Cahir never met the definition of towns defined in the Interpretation Act 1937 due to no local government got NOTHING ever from this fund.

The towns in Tipperary are contributors and were always run on the money they raised themselves through parking, rates, rents etc and never depended on subsidies. Money for pools, parks, paths, arts etc were all raised locally

County Tipperary (rural) on the other hand is and will always be heavily subsidised. Even more now with the cash grab on town council money.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭alcea

Given that 2 independent TD's topped the polls in Tipperary, does it not send a message to the TD's/candidates belonging to the different parties that they need to get up off their behinds more than just once every 5 years and keep in touch with the people they are elected to represent.

I heard a candidate being interviewed after he had scrapped in (I think he was from Cork). He was asked what were the issues he met on the doorstep, he seemed quite shocked that the issues for most people were medical card and potholes, not the national issues (surely he would have known this before he went canvassing). As far is I can remember, Willie O'Dea was the only candidate who said that his parties policies were discussed on the doorstep. He is another TD that is easy to contact and willing to use his influence to help someone who is in need.

The attitude of so many people is that it does not matter who gets into government, it will be the same sh1t just a different day, and they may as well vote for someone who will work to help them and improve their communities.

The fact is that the candidates/TDs that are most involved with their communities are getting the top votes, this happened all over the country not just in Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

So essentially you're saying you all voted him in out of spite. That really doesn't make Tipp look any better

I feel so awful that you have such a low opinion of us.
    Tell me, how can we improve in order to deserve your approval?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

Yeah but you had to pay for it right?
    We cut through all that kind of stuff here in Tipp.

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

There is a lot worse than Lowry out there.

Anyone who voted for Sinn Fein has a lot more to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Anyone who voted for Sinn Fein Fianna Fail has a lot more to answer for.
    Corrected it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

dirtyden wrote: »
    There is a lot worse than Lowry out there.

Anyone who voted for Sinn Fein has a lot more to answer for.

Really? Lowry has the worst attendance in the Dail,parish pump politics at it's finest you are electing someone to represent Tipperary in this case he's came through 8? Elections last 5 as poll topper topper.

Sinn Fein have no one elected in Tipperary so I don't know what people have to answer for it seems by rejecting this government we brought through coffin chaser Mattie McGrath. A tax evader and homophobe came 1 & 2 in Tipperary that is the situation.

Really? Lowry has the worst attendance in the Dail,parish pump politics at it's finest you are electing someone to represent Tipperary in this case he's came through 8? Elections last 5 as poll topper topper.

Sinn Fein have no one elected in Tipperary so I don't know what people have to answer for it seems by rejecting this government we brought through coffin chaser Mattie McGrath. A tax evader and homophobe came 1 & 2 in Tipperary that is the situation.

You don't tell us who you and your neighbors elected
    I probably could go down through them and label them too
    Crook
    Terrorist
    ISIS recruiter
    The begrudgery and small town bitterness in this thread is hilarious if it wasn't so sad
    Lowry and McGrath aren't to blame for all your woes at all , as you well know.

You don't tell us who you and your neighbors elected
    I probably could go down through them and label them too
    Crook
    Terrorist
    ISIS recruiter
    The begrudgery and small town bitterness in this thread is hilarious if it wasn't so sad
    Lowry and McGrath aren't to blame for all your woes at all , as you well know.

Well the thread is asking about Michael Lowry so Not Michael Lowry should be enough but since you want to know names to perhaps belittle my selection Healy is who I voted for. I cant speak for my neighbours but judging by the tallies they voted differently. Lowry only got 2% of the vote in Clonmel.

When you describe candidates only showing up around election time it's like you are describing Lowry to me he brought 2 well known hurling representatives with him on the lead up to election to the town.

While Lowry or McGrath aren't necessarily to blame for my woes they aren't a solution both from the gene pool of parties which failed this country.
    Some bitterly disappointed posters here representative of some of those who voted AAA/PBP or right2change and mistakenly and naively presumed that the rest of the country felt the same
    Well, they don't
    Fact is Tipperay people don't give a toss what anyone thinks about them and are actually highly entertained by the shrill indignance of, for example, some of the posts in this thread
    Michael Lowry is a familiar face around the town and is accessible to everyone
    Just because some posters here won't see the TDs they elected last Friday until 3 weeks before the next election doesn't mean that those TDs are spotless clean
    Far from it
    So don't worry so much about us come down and visit Tipp in the summer
    We're doing just fine!

I'm sorry but I can't agree as someone from Tipp I care I'd rather see our TDs represent in the Dail chamber ya know what they were elected to do than swan around the local towns being a familiar face.

To imply Tipperary people don't give a toss bout national issues is a joke if that's the case there is no point in us having a constituency.

Also if you haven't noticed news bulletins over half the TDs elected did so campaigning under right2change so you cannot say people were naive, its looking like a government can't be formed without the backing of them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Lights On wrote: »
    He does a lot for the area, as simple as that really. He looks out for the people who vote for him and that's why they keep voting for him again and again.

But he's a national politician. Local politicians are supposed to look after 'Stuff in the area' National politicians are not the ones supposed to be fixing roads or building GAA Club houses.

Its a viscous circle being created there. Because we elect poor national politicians we end up with under resourced local authorities who end up playing second fiddle to the national politician playing local hero. You've actually victimised yourself and everyone else by putting such a crook into a position of power. Far from benefiting you he's actually hinderd you by being voted in

The trouble with Lowry, Healy and McGrath is that they are County Councillors. They put their own constituents of Tipperary first instead of concentrating on running the country, which is what they are supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I feel so awful that you have such a low opinion of us.
    Tell me, how can we improve in order to deserve your approval?

Wow, I really touched a nerve with the Tipp folks. Tell me, why are you all so sensitive and defensive? For a county that is so adamant about the righteousness of your decisions, you'd think you would be able to take criticism on the chin.

Wow, I really touched a nerve with the Tipp folks. Tell me, why are you all so sensitive and defensive? For a county that is so adamant about the righteousness of your decisions, you'd think you would be able to take criticism on the chin.

Wow! really is your favourite way to open a post isn't it!
    It's not so much your having touched a nerve as the almost theatrically patronising, condescending tone of your posts
    BTW you still haven't told us which paragons of virtue you voted for? I'd imagine you'd be proud to name the game-changers that got your number 1, 2 and 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Gerry Adams, a known and urepentant supporter of killing Gardaí single mothers and protector of paedophiles or Michael Lowry? I know which choice I would be more comfortable with.That is the only point I was making. I did not and would vote for Lowry but I understand why people do. Lowry has built his power base on representing the interests of constituents. I don't believe he has done it for any more than selfish reasons but nonetheless people know where they stand with him on a political level.

The thread was not started by a Tipperary person so I have not limited my response to Tipperary elected representatives.

Q - Why was Bin Laden buried at sea?
    A - His family were afraid Mattie McGrath would turn up at his funeral.

If Mattie McGrath is a homophobe then the over 40% ( nearly 2 million) who agreed with him in the SSM referendum are homophobes too
    Gosh that's nearly 1 in 2 of everyone you'll meet on the street today!
    Has anyone told the Gay community of the amount of danger they're in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Lets get something clear. Dublin has the lowest unemployment rate in the country. Tip doesn’t, so don’t think for a minute a cent of Tip money is going towards Dublin. The Subsidies are heading one way, and that’s from the cities to other areas, in some cases Dubliners are subsidising their country counterparts in the funding of local services by up to 50 times.

You should contact your local TD and see if they can get you some spelling lessons before you come on here pontificating about anything.

If Mattie McGrath is a homophobe then the over 40% ( nearly 2 million) who agreed with him in the SSM referendum are homophobes too
    Gosh that's nearly 1 in 2 of everyone you'll meet on the street today!
    Has anyone told the Gay community of the amount of danger they're in???

I wouldn't say Mattie is homophobic. He's just an old fashioned Catholic, who lives by his beliefs. He has a deep faith, which many may scoff at, but he really is a devout Catholic and his views are formed by this. I would imagine that he is also anti abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I wonder has anyone here actually met both Mattie & Mick?

Mick Lowry has done more for the county AS A WHOLE than any since Michael Smith Snr. Put it to you this way, my old man is no fool, and were it not for the fact that we got shunted off to Offaly then Lowry would have got his number 1. And mine, and my in-laws.

Mattie is an absolute gent, and works extremely hard for everyone, and i wish him the best of luck in his tenure.

Everyone can be as critical as they like about both, Lowry especially, and i will never deny that he has done some dodgy s**t, but the good far outweighs the bad, and i can assure you that if you dig around a bit Mick ain't the only one who pulled strokes throughout the years, he just got caught.

EDIT- Also, all those up in the Pale, especially Dublin West, criticizing anyone in Tipp for voting Lowry, and then voted in the moan, come off it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say Mattie is homophobic. He's just an old fashioned Catholic, who lives by his beliefs. He has a deep faith, which many may scoff at, but he really is a devout Catholic and his views are formed by this. I would imagine that he is also anti abortion.

Oh I know that maryanne, but wrongway1985 has decided he's a homophobe and we've no right to vote for him
    It's utterly astonishing the amount of posters who think they can tell others who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You should contact your local TD and see if they can get you some spelling lessons before you come on here pontificating about anything.

I'll "come on here" and I'll say what I want as long as it's not against the charter. You're not a moderator. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

I'll "come on here" and I'll say what I want as long as it's not against the charter. You're not a moderator. ;)
    well said:)

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why? It's got nothing to do with the thread
    true and i do not have to

well said:)

Yes it's like reading James Joyce or John Waters

Yes it's like reading James Joyce or John Waters
    And you write better than James Joyce?

And you write better than James Joyce?

I'd say I do actually!

I'd say I do actually!
    if that is the level of your contributions I will not be responding again

Oh I know that maryanne, but wrongway1985 has decided he's a homophobe and we've no right to vote for him
    It's utterly astonishing the amount of posters who think they can tell others who to vote for.

Hang on a minute me personally I have not told other posters who they should vote for nor have I even asked other posters who they have voted for something which you seem to badger people with when they post something that's struck a nerve with you.

It's a post mortem scenario anyway the election has been and gone but even still people can vote who they like I'm not even disputing that.

• Advertisement

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone here actually met both Mattie & Mick?

I have never met Lowry but have met Mattie on multiple occasions.

Advertisement