Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 Count

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Hope all the sharp viewers will have seen PBJ and his camera on TV over the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »

could Simon Harris look any more shifty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

loyatemu wrote: »
    could Simon Harris look any more shifty?

No love lost with Andrew Doyle either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Being overtaken by a whippersnapper is never a pleasant experience for a mature gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

He was never going to see eye to eye with those lefties anyway.
    I presume he will already have some arrangement in mind with a more centrist party.
    FG politicians are already overpopulated around here, so that only leaves FF unless he moves to some other part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

moving to FF would be very risky for him - he personally outpolled the combined vote of the 2 FF candidates by over 50% in the last election. Quite a lot of his supporters would not vote for him as an FF candidate, and FF voters might resent seeing him parachuted into the party.

I suspect he would have preffered to have gone into government after the last election but was overruled by the other 2 SDs; especially as his erstwhile mentor Shane Ross is now a minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think joining any of the mainstream parties would destroy him. He would be muted and sidelined before he could establish himself.
    I see the poll on the journal.ie shows 49% favour him staying independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whitmore staying in Soc Dems is an interesting one. In a general election she would surely be a general election candidate then and could damage Donnellys vote.

The electorate is volatile. Just cause he topped the poll this time doesnt he cant be kicked out next time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The number of poll toppers out on their arse next time around is quite high. Mary Hanifin, Aine Brady and a number of other FFers 2007->2011 for instance; Padraigh MacLochlainn for SF 2011->2016 is one where against any general party tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Whitmore staying in Soc Dems is an interesting one. In a general election she would surely be a general election candidate then and could damage Donnellys vote.

The electorate is volatile. Just cause he topped the poll this time doesnt he cant be kicked out next time.
    What's rare is beautiful and for once we agree on something!

A lot of people voted for Donnelly on the basis that he wanted to reform politics and made a principled stand in staying out of government to avoid being seen as in it for a ministry. Joining forces with any of the big parties now would really affect his popularity in the constituency and would almost certainly see Whitmore's star rising.

If he ploughs the furrow he was on, there's no reason they couldn't both be returned in the next GE, him as an Independent, her as a SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Eponymous wrote: »
    What's rare is beautiful and for once we agree on something!

A lot of people voted for Donnelly on the basis that he wanted to reform politics and made a principled stand in staying out of government to avoid being seen as in it for a ministry. Joining forces with any of the big parties now would really affect his popularity in the constituency and would almost certainly see Whitmore's star rising.

If he ploughs the furrow he was on, there's no reason they couldn't both be returned in the next GE, him as an Independent, her as a SD.

Perhaps but for that to happen Whitmore needs to extensively grow a profile outside Greystones. I dont think Greystones is strong to elect 3 TDs out of 5 in the county. People do vote local.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement