Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow broadband in graigcullen

Options
  • 28-02-2016 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Was doing a speed test on my broadband other night ...and I find it's only 25 MPs here in graigcullen laois ...while all around me ..Carlow .killishin ..maganey ..tullow all have 100mps ...soon to be 1000mps.....why have we been byepassed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Depends entirely on the provider, the package you're subscribed to, distance to exchange, quality of cable between your house and exchange and even the quality of connections in your house.

By the way those other areas may be in a area advertised as 100Mbs but you can be guaranteed very few people are getting anywhere near that for the reasons above. Remember it's always "up to" 100Mbs.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Select Carlow on the map and use Calculate Distances and you'll see how quickly the speed drops off the further you go from an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

All spending on roads and other infrastructure should be stopped immediately until broadband speeds are brought up to world class . They are building bypasses and roundabouts which have a very low economic return in comparison to the return from a reliable and fast broadband . Its great to see the diggers working but they are implementing road plans that were drawn up forty years ago . To operate my business I need better service because we are competing in a world market .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    To operate my business I need better service because we are competing in a world market .

What kind of speeds to you currently get?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Blacknight wrote: »
    What kind of speeds to you currently get?

2.85 Mbps Download 0.96Mbps Upload Service is via Digiweb . But it varies and loses contact . I can tell what the weather is like outside by the speed it works at .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    2.85 Mbps Download 0.96Mbps Upload Service is via Digiweb . But it varies and loses contact . I can tell what the weather is like outside by the speed it works at .

That's pretty dire - where exactly are you based? And is this business or residential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

All of the above and be sure to clarify it it is megaBYTES with a big B or megaBITS with a small one which all the internet service providers use as it sounds like more. In more general internet use bytes are uses and thus your speed is divided by 8.

Graiguecullen with a good part is on Virgin Media is 360Mbps capable.

As Eircom aren't offering FTTH (fibre to the home) any time soon there won't be 1000Mbps available in the near future.

Some places within 150 metres of fibre enabled cabs could get 100+Mbps down and greater upload speeds than VM but that's the tiny minority provided cable between/connections are all working in good order and you have a gigabit networking card.

Bog Man:

If you want to get the broadband service you desire you'll have to move to somewhere it is economically sensible to sell it to you even where people in more urban areas are paying a subsidy for your service or set up a line of sight wireless signal from a point that does to where you are. Up to 15 km range is available if you're really that pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stonebob

Thanks lads ..am with digiweb at 30mega...and i got the readings about other areas getting 100 mega from da vodaphone site ..how are virgin giving 350mega if fibre is not around graig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Virgin (previously known as UPC) have their own privately owned cable network for cable TV and broadband whereas everyone else are using Eir's telephone/broadband network. Virgin's network is designed to carry a lot more data than Eir's but you can't get service in areas that can't get cable TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

stonebob wrote: »
    Was doing a speed test on my broadband other night ...and I find it's only 25 MPs here in graigcullen laois ...while all around me ..Carlow .killishin ..maganey ..tullow all have 100mps ...soon to be 1000mps.....why have we been byepassed

Graiguecullen is in Carlow I think you'll find ;) And hopefully soon they'll decide officially about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Niemoj wrote: »
    Graiguecullen is in Carlow I think you'll find ;) And hopefully soon they'll decide officially about it.

haha, you wouldn't want to be saying that round parts of graigue

• Advertisement

The village has always been in Carlow.

It's the recent development from GAA club north, Oakley Park west and Loughlin Road south that has Laois areas.

it is indeed going by the county border - though years ago when I was getting rent allowance you had to argue the point as they'd send you to portlaoise. same time theres plenty of estates where some houses are in carlow and some in laois - they could do with redefining the border well outside graigue. go out the old leghlin road and you'll go through carlow then laois, then a bit of carlow again.

maccored wrote: »
    haha, you wouldn't want to be saying that round parts of graigue

I have done! Any people I encounter who think they're in Laois tend to be linked to the GAA club and the only reason they play for Laois in the first place is because they were kicked out of Carlow in the 20s I believe!

it is indeed going by the county border - though years ago when I was getting rent allowance you had to argue the point as they'd send you to portlaoise. same time theres plenty of estates where some houses are in carlow and some in laois - they could do with redefining the border well outside graigue. go out the old leghlin road and you'll go through carlow then laois, then a bit of carlow again.

They're due to announce the findings of their review before 31st of this month.

I'm hoping they chose to move it into Carlow for electoral purposes too as it really does not make sense to be in the Laois-Offaly one, if there was a Laois-Carlow constiency then fair enough but the current situation is totally ridiculous, imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

They're due to announce the findings of their review before 31st of this month.

I'm hoping they chose to move it into Carlow for electoral purposes too as it really does not make sense to be in the Laois-Offaly one, if there was a Laois-Carlow constiency then fair enough but the current situation is totally ridiculous, imo of course.

Change the county boundary, sure that will get ya better broadband speed.... your points of view reference Graiguecullen not graigue are your own and not of many people from carlow or graiguecullen people. You are who you are, born and bred, no one should have the right to change your identity and tell your no longer an Irish man, Carlow man or Laois man. No county boundary has ever been changed in the history of the state so lets be real about it the boundary change is not going to happen.

I have done! Any people I encounter who think they're in Laois tend to be linked to the GAA club and the only reason they play for Laois in the first place is because they were kicked out of Carlow in the 20s I believe!

I'm sure you have met people from graigue who actually do live in laois mind you. theres plenty.

lotdpd wrote: »
    Change the county boundary, sure that will get ya better broadband speed.... your points of view reference Graiguecullen not graigue are your own and not of many people from carlow or graiguecullen people. You are who you are, born and bred, no one should have the right to change your identity and tell your no longer an Irish man, Carlow man or Laois man. No county boundary has ever been changed in the history of the state so lets be real about it the boundary change is not going to happen.

It's not about changing someone's identity at all, it's about logical governing.

For example up until recently if you lived in Graiguecullen and had to get something done via the HSE instead of being sent to St Dympnas which is minutes from Graiguecullen you'd be sent from Portlaoise as Laois is in the Midlands Health Board and not the South Easts'.

Another example is the voting, posters from Carlow/Kilkenny politicians all around in Graiguecullen when no one there can vote for them.

That's hardly logical is it?

I'm sure you have met people from graigue who actually do live in laois mind you. theres plenty.

Of course, and I'm one of them!

But a huge portion of people in Graiguecullen identify as being from Carlow, myself included and look at local businesses, I can think of only the GAA in Graiguecullen which says it's Laois, most of the others are Carlow. The Dome Carlow, Dunnes Stores Carlow, BlackKnight, even the An Post sorting centre which technically is in Laois is the Carlow Sorting Office.

There are many many examples.

I made a thread here about the border review which ya can feel free to post in and apologies to the OP for taking this thread off the rails a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

It's not about changing someone's identity at all, it's about logical governing.

For example up until recently if you lived in Graiguecullen and had to get something done via the HSE instead of being sent to St Dympnas which is minutes from Graiguecullen you'd be sent from Portlaoise as Laois is in the Midlands Health Board and not the South Easts'.

Another example is the voting, posters from Carlow/Kilkenny politicians all around in Graiguecullen when no one there can vote for them.

That's hardly logical is it?

Sure go to hospital in Kilkenny and for how many years did ya have to go onto waterford???

Sure its only got to do with votes, CW/KK posters were only put up in the areas of graiguecullen that they have votes in, the laois canditates put posters up where they have voters. It was well organised. Candidates didn't waste posters by putting them up in the wrong areas.

Yes the sorting office and dome etc are in Laois. Do you hear anyone complaining about why they build there or having a problem with where they are. No. Its not a GAA thing its based on identity. Your a CW person living in Graigue by choice. Your identity is not been threatened or told to be changed. So if you were living in CW and told that your now becoming a Kildare person as the country boundary is been moved. How would you feel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

There is no Laois / Offaly constituency. They're separate constituencies now.
    lotdpd wrote: »
    No county boundary has ever been changed in the history of the state so lets be real about it the boundary change is not going to happen.
    Morf wrote: »
    The village has always been in Carlow.

It's the recent development from GAA club north, Oakley Park west and Loughlin Road south that has Laois areas.
    Graiguecullen was originally in county Laois. It's a long long time in Carlow now. Not sure how long but a couple hundred years i think.
    Correct. Just from memory, the 2011 census had 2/3 of the population of Graiguecullen in county Laois, and the village in Carlow.

fwiw, I can't see Graiguecullen, Ferrybank or Athlone being changed.

Graiguecullen was originally in county Laois. It's a long long time in Carlow now. Not sure how long but a couple hundred years i think.

True. Early 1800s possibly. Before foundation of state.

Part of Drogheda was moved from Meath to Louth so county borders have been altered in the history of the state.

Advertisement