Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Law of Ireland

Options
  • 28-02-2016 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello to All,

I am a law student at master level in Poland and I want to write a master thesis on Civil law of Ireland, as I spent some time in Dublin in the past.

Could anyone recomend some good book that students of law in Ireland use at their civil course?

I would be greatheful.

Regards,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 9 niarb

Thank you Pat Mustard,

the only thing is that this book is on system of law in Ireland, and I am looking for some civil institutions to compare them to polish, ie. contract, lease, agency, insurance etc. and the general rules of civil code.

Is there any book specialy dedicated to civil law?

Regards,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

To attempt to clarify, Ireland is a common law jurisdiction, like the USA and the UK. Even though legislation is used in common law jurisdictions, the common law itself refers to precedent or caselaw.

In common law jurisdictions, reference to civil law means law which is outside the criminal law. Therefore, it involves everything that is not criminal law.

I don't think that there is any book which attempts to deal with all Irish law apart from criminal law.

The book by Byrne & McCutcheon may be as close as you are likely to get.

Advertisement