Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Felling - Rinville Park, Oranmore

Options
  • 28-02-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea why so many trees are being cut down in Rinville? Whole sections of the forest have been removed and it looks terrible. I assumed they would be taking out trees that were at risk of falling rather than acres of forestry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

finlma wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea why so many trees are being cut down in Rinville? Whole sections of the forest have been removed and it looks terrible. I assumed they would be taking out trees that were at risk of falling rather than acres of forestry.

No official idea but might be similar to coole park...lots of diseased trees. Renvilles tree looked in a terrible state last time I was there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

No official idea but might be similar to coole park...lots of diseased trees. Renvilles tree looked in a terrible state last time I was there

Call into the local Garda station, there should be a copy of the felling license there with some information as to why they are being felled, a lot of diseased larch being cut around the country recently, what type /age are the trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

The purpose of the works is to remove standing deadwood and unsuitable Sitka Spruce which is windblown and is an increasing risk to Park Users

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/leisure/rinvilleparkoranmore/rinvillepark-woodlandsmanagementplan/

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Acidflash wrote: »
    The purpose of the works is to remove standing deadwood and unsuitable Sitka Spruce which is windblown and is an increasing risk to Park Users

http://www.galway.ie/en/services/leisure/rinvilleparkoranmore/rinvillepark-woodlandsmanagementplan/

Thanks for that. Fair play to the County Council - that's a comprehensive explanation of the ongoing work and they'll even email you updates if you request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

Thanks for that. Fair play to the County Council - that's a comprehensive explanation of the ongoing work and they'll even email you updates if you request it.

I thought that was pretty good too ...until I got a bounce from that email address :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I thought that was pretty good too ...until I got a bounce from that email address :(

Add .ie to the end ;).

Got an acknowledgement email back today. They're sending an update in the next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

I had the same but realised the .ie was missing. Got a prompt response to say I'm on the mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

fyi...
    Put Down Roots for the Next 100 Years ! Come along & Help Plant 1,916 trees. Community ‘Meitheal’ - Replanting Event, Rinville Park, Maree, Oranmore. Saturday, March 12th, from 10.00am http://goo.gl/maps/jFzsD – register in advance or on the day from 09.30am. Contact Conservation Volunteers cvgalway@gmail.com This event is part of the Rinville Park Woodlands Plan, organised by Galway County Council in partnership with Conservation Volunteers & Tidy Towns Oranmore for National Tree Week 2016. Individuals, family groups, community groups, scouting groups all welcome. No experience necessary – Tools and tea will be provided. Please wear suitable clothing and footwear. Details on attached invite. – please share.
    Sports fans can adjourn to the nearby golf club to watch the rugby (k.o 13:30pm) - Spare / clean shoes would be advisable there :) ... Dedicated tree-huggers can relieve the work for the afternoon.
    Go mbeadh sibh ann … Looking forward to seeing you there,

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement