Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coqbull, Badboys, Son of a Bun or Somewhere else

Options
  • 28-02-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

Son of a bun have great wings but burgers are overrated IMO. Milkshakes are great there .

BB Bbq have only ever had at food festivals and they were grand.

Have not been to coqbull yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Watkins food hall is delish. Try there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

I have a bit of a hobby to try burgers everywhere I go, so naturally I've tried pretty much every place in Cork.. I'll keep this post short as I plan on a big thread at some point in the future with more detailed reviews :)

I definitely recommend against Coqbull. I've given them three chances, once during peak hours, once during lunch and once during what I guess would be a rather average evening. All three times the burger was not satisfying at all, it's not bad but it's very bland / average. The place is nice though, good atmosphere and friendly staff.

Son of a bun, well, it's a hit and miss in my opinion... Sometimes the burger is *really* good, but most of the time it's like Coqbull; bland. Quality is very much related to how busy it is, which sucks because it's usually quite crowded.

I found that Gourmet Burger Bistro is consistently making good burgers, they're not super amazing but they tend to always be good. I've been there maybe 8 times now and I've only been disappointed once. I don't like the place though, restaurant is too small and not very cosy.

If you want to be surprised, go to SoHo during lunch hours - their burger is actually really good! They make the best 'medium' cooked burger. Problem is that there are not many burgers to choose from, only some very generic ones. But definitely better than Coqbull and Son of a bun on an average day.

Uncle Pete's may be known mainly for their pizza but they do make some interesting burgers. I've only tried one though and it was good, I'd expect the other ones to be good too.

Wild West Wings on Washington street have some bad reviews on Tripadvisor which may scare people off, but I don't know if they changed owner or something. The guy working there is really nice and service minded, I've only been there once so far but I really enjoyed the visit and will definitely go again. Might be worth a try :-)

Possibly the worst burger I've ever had in Cork was at Liberty Grill, judging from online reviews I may just have been unlucky though but it was really bad. Meat was dry, bread was dry and barely anything on the burger. Very disappointing.

Something that really sucks is the fact that the burger menu is almost identical everywhere you go in Cork, it's the same burgers with different names. Nobody tries anything special or exotic, I'd love to see places do some proper gourmet burgers with exotic toppings. Something that makes them stick out from the crowd :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Try the White Rabbit down at the bottom of MacCurtain Street by the LeisurePlex. I've been a few times and it's great, the ambience is real Americana (it's like something right out of Atlanta's BBQ scene) and the food is reasonably priced but very authentic.

Some class Rory Gallagher paintings in there last week too. Ah I miss Cork...wish I still lived there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have a bit of a hobby to try burgers everywhere I go, so naturally I've tried pretty much every place in Cork.. I'll keep this post short as I plan on a big thread at some point in the future with more detailed reviews :)

Something that really sucks is the fact that the burger menu is almost identical everywhere you go in Cork, it's the same burgers with different names. Nobody tries anything special or exotic, I'd love to see places do some proper gourmet burgers with exotic toppings. Something that makes them stick out from the crowd :-)

Please don't do this, we already have a restaurant recommendation thread where you can post reviews you have of any restaurants in Cork City.

I thought I had already closed this thread but obviously not. Please continue your discussions in the restaurant recommendation thread.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement