Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election poster litter

• 28-02-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Just walking around the roads by my house (Ballinteer) and there is a incredible amount of cut cable ties littering the roads and footpaths, looks like Fianna Fail or Fianna Gael supporters just cut the cable ties and left them everywhere. It wasn't labour or independent as all their posters are still up. Its disgraceful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They are probably getting them down quickly as they reckon they will be reusing them soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Getting them down quickly is no excuse for leaving the ties behind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You can reuse the poster - the ties - not so much.

You can bin the ties though. Or you can just be a inconsiderate wanker and leave them on the ground or attached to the poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Orion wrote: »
    You can bin the ties though. Or you can just be a inconsiderate wanker and leave them on the ground or attached to the poles.

Exactly, it also says right in the regs that posters and cable ties must be removed within 7 days http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There was a proposal to have each party have a colour attached to the cable ties for election posters. A very practical idea, but one which they would never pay the extra money for. The result if poles and litter on the ground and no one can prove who it belongs to. The support team gets well paid to put these up and take them down (€2,000 in the case of one Dublin candidate), it says a lot about the individuals who carry out this work.

I don't know who that team is. The vast majority of posters are put up and taken down by volunteers not paid staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Absolute scumbag *****, They have proven time and time again that they are unable to clean up after themselves. Let alone putting up illegal posters setting out to distract drivers which look like regulatory road signs.

I am amazed its still legal, well actually many are not legal but the gardai did nothing, and yes I did contact them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Saw lots of cable ties on the ground today, how lazy ass are these fookers taking them down that they can't just pick them up and bin them, complete scum. Very dangerous for cyclists tyres too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

well i'm glad i'm not the only one thats pissed off about this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Very bad for certain wildlife and pets too.
    Our dog picked one up and almost ate it while out on a walk.

If a dog will, I'm sure a fox or other large mammal or even bird might do similar.

I don't think ESB in particular is too impressed with people installing posters close to power lines either. One of these elections someone's going to get zapped.

I saw a few people up on aluminium ladders directly under bare wire ESB lines.

Saw lots of cable ties on the ground today, how lazy ass are these fookers taking them down that they can't just pick them up and bin them, complete scum. Very dangerous for cyclists tyres too.
    I have seen drunken young scumbags in town drop litter by mistake and pick it up. This is just disgusting and dangerous as you say. The fact there are so many would suggest that some are cleaning up after themselves and not picking up the other discarded ones at the bottom of hte same pole they just worked on. There was talk of them having to have identifiying tags/marks on them, this is not good enough, just ban them.
    well i'm glad i'm not the only one thats pissed off about this
    I hope you will contact the gardai, you can email them nowadays and not even have to leave a name.

http://www.garda.ie/stations/default.aspx

They will usually say littering is a council matter, but these are endangering people.

If contacting them there is a definite legal issue you can mention which they will have to take note of, so do mention the specific law. Photographic evidience of these 2 scumbags putting up illegal posters, proud as fuck.

7234436250_d2d94cdec3_b.jpg
    All labour candidatates that I saw this year had that style of poster.

Road Traffic Act 1961, Section 95, Subsection 14 (a) (14) A person shall not provide any such sign, device, notice or light as is not a traffic sign if, on provision thereof, it is visible from a public road and—

(a) it is capable of being confused with a traffic sign,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/95/enacted/en/html

They are also well below the safe height guidelines that I have seen any county council issue.
    12Phase wrote: »
    I don't think ESB in particular is too impressed with people installing posters close to power lines either. One of these elections someone's going to get zapped.

I saw a few people up on aluminium ladders directly under bare wire ESB lines.
    The ESB have issued widely publicised warnings on many occassions now, these parties are all aware. There have been fires caused by them before. And I have no doubt these goons have damaged wiring going to poles which the public will end up paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Fires are bad enough but one of these days someone hanging a poster will be electrocuted by contacting a ladder with overhead wires.

Even 230V from an overhead line at those kinds of current flows without any breaker is going to cause major damage.

Getting near 20kV or 38kV lines is absolutely insane though!

12Phase wrote: »
    Fires are bad enough but one of these days someone hanging a poster will be electrocuted by contacting a ladder with overhead wires.

I don't have much sympathy for people who knowingly put their own lives at risk for their own gain, especially when they are putting other peoples property and welfare at risk at the same time. Its like being concerned about a burglar cutting himself on the back window he just smashed in.

Many are putting up illegal posters like those above on these electrical poles, so are already committing a crime. Not only are they putting nearby properties at risk but deliberately distracting motorists too.

If they have caused damage to wiring it could also possibly leave it in a dangerous state for any passerby who is in contact with it.

People have been injured by falling posters before too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement