Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long time listener, first time caller

Options
  • 28-02-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Been lurking around the forum for a couple of weeks, thought I'd dip my toe in.

Have been interested in shooting , (possibly with the idea of shooting) for a while now, just wondering wheats involved in getting started.

Is there any option to visit a club as a non member & hiring a gun to get a feel for it before spending a fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

What kind of shooting you interested in? Hunting or targets? Shotgun or rifle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Honestly, Haven't a clue. I was leaning toward clay pigeon, but would be open to target too. I'm not sure I have the correct mindset for a "live" hunt, but would probably be willing to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

This thread should help a little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Where are you based?. I know my local range will do a package of rifle shotgun and pistol shooting for beginners. This would give you a chance to try all three and also gives you the opportunity to have a chat with the guys there about what you want the gun for etc. You will find out a wealth of knowledge with a 20 min chat with the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Where are you based?. I know my local range will do a package of rifle shotgun and pistol shooting for beginners. This would give you a chance to try all three and also gives you the opportunity to have a chat with the guys there about what you want the gun for etc. You will find out a wealth of knowledge with a 20 min chat with the right people.

Out on the north side of the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Goz83 might correct me on this but checkout courtloughs website I'm sure they cater for novice shooters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

Have a read of the links in my signature below. They will give you details of ranges, etc. and most if not all welcome newcomers and can show you around, let you test some guns, and see if it's for you.

If hunting is not your bag then you need to be a member of a range so for this reason i suggest visiting a nearby range. I believe Courtlough would be your closest, but the link in my sign line will give you a full list of ranges so try a few. Just ring before traveling.

Welcome again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

OU812 wrote: »
    Out on the north side of the city

Im northside too. Hoping to visit courtlough wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

goz83 wrote: »
    Im northside too. Hoping to visit courtlough wednesday

Fingal Shooting Club would be another over that area. Its Based in Naul

Advertisement