Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nightwear for Dementia sufferer?

Options
  • 28-02-2016 2:52pm

hi All
    I wonder if anyone might have a solution ? My Mother is in a quite advanced stage of dementia. lately she has been removing her incontinence pad at night. The carer tries to put the pad on securely, then pjs over etc. Its a mystery how my Mother does this as during the day she is almost completely inactive but yet at night she starts removing the clothes, also a dressing she has on her leg which has a bad cut from a fall.

We are at our wits end what to do. My dad ( in his eighties) is her main carer and is washing sheets most days. I have seem amazon in the U.S sell a sort of onesie for adults with a zipper down the back. Which sounds like it might be ideal.

Does anyone know of any stockists here or in the UK for such a clothes item?
    Or indeed any other suggestions would be very welcome

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

That sounds like a tough situation. I've no answers for you unfortunately, but I just wonder if Alzheimers Society might help, or your public health nurse?

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately public health nurse no suggestions, but I will call the Alzheimers Association tomorrow . Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

http://www.shop.kcsleepsuits.co.uk/

These look a bit expensive - I don't know anything about them, I just found them on google, but they might be of interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Basically you are looking at a onsie perhaps.
    The sort of pyjamas you can pick up in Penny's.

I've seen them used on clients who have the same issues with removing their incontinence wear at night time.

It is, however, considered a form of restrictive practice so that might be something to think about as well.

Advertisement