Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7/Windows Update: Error 80080005

Options
  • 28-02-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

When I ran Windows Update on a newly installed Windows 7 x64, I got the Error code: 80080005.

A quick Google gave the following solution: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/870655

I went to this location and found that SharedSection=1024,20480,768

I added 512 to it so that it now reads; SharedSection=1024,20480,768,512

However, Windows Update is still producing the same 80080005 error.

Two questions.......

1. A few sources say that there should only be three number here. e.g. 1024,2048,512

Could this be my problem? Should I reduce it to three numbers (including 512). If so, which three?

2. I haven't added a comma after the 512. Should I have?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. Are there any tools that fix these problems automatically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The SharedSection=1024,20480,768,512

Should be SharedSection=1024,20480,768

The third value is the heap size for windows services that do not interact with the user.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2007/01/04/desktop-heap-overview.aspx
    and adding an unexpected 4th value won't help you.

---
    If you provide the full text of the error message it might help. As your google has probably shown you, 0x80080005 covers a host of problems.

You're starting with an new install. In this situation, more often that not, it's an issue with one or more buggy updates. Look at the window update history to see if there are any particular update numbers that are failing. Restart the computer and retry the updates.

There is a Microsoft update fixit
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7
    but is not often successful.

Also try to install Internet Explorer 11 manually if it's not already installed, as it'll correct/update a number of related components within Windows 7 that Microsoft didn't sufficiently backport to older versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Ressem,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's what I did....

1. I reset the Registry SharedSection to those values and re-booted.

2. I downloaded IE 11 and ran the installer.

3. During the installation process, it spent about 10+ minutes at the beginning "...installing necessary updates.." So, this seems to be a workaround for a mal-functioning Windows Update, as you implied.

4. Then, for the next 15 minutes, it said, "Installing Internet Explorer 11".

However, the installation failed.

So, I ran Windows Update again.

This time, I got the following error: "Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Error(s) found: Code 8024000E Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

D.

Update:

I rebooted Windows to see if that would make a difference.

Before shutting down, it installed updates. I got the usual % message during shutdown and the usual "Preparing to configure Windows" on startup.

So, I ran the IE11 installer again. It went through the "installing required updates" again, but a lot faster - presumably, because some were already installed. But, again, the installation failed. So, again, I rebooted. Again, I got the installing updates messages. So, I tried the IE installer again after reboot.

Same issue - but only a few seconds of downloads - and on reboot there were no update installations.

So, one more attempt at installation. Still no joy. But, at least some updates were installed.

I then ran the Windows Fixit and tried IE11 again - still no joy.

Finally, after running the Fixit, I ran Windows Update without success. This time the error message was identical to the above, but the code was 80080005.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

A search suggests that this is the old Intel RST (Intel Rapid Storage Driver) drivers + windows update issue.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2832609

You might want to look at the support page that the manufacturer of your computer provides for downloading motherboard/ storage device drivers and see whether this can be downloaded & is appropriate for your computer.

(btw if you see Intel Storage Manager there also, I suggest that you don't go near it. Problematic yolk I've found.)

Followed by yet another restart.

ressem,

Thanks for the reply.

My laptop is a DELL.

Unfortunately, since I have changed the OS to Windows 7 (from XP), I can't use the DELL site for support.

I went to this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST- and downloaded the driver dated 1/31/2013. (The last RAID Driver on the list) When I tried to install it, I got the error message: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement