Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe with one side

• 28-02-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

I have a ewe here with only one spin working. I noticed it when shearing but never got around to culling her. She has just had twins. She has lots milk in the other spin. Would you lads take one of the lambs away immediately or what would ye do? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

arctictree wrote: »
    I have a ewe here with only one spin working. I noticed it when shearing but never got around to culling her. She has just had twins. She has lots milk in the other spin. Would you lads take one of the lambs away immediately or what would ye do? Thanks!

I would take one away - either foster on or sell on donedeal...

Don't think pets are worth the hassle...

But - I'm lazy to be honest... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

one tit one lamb
    and I would cull mother and any daughters as well
    there is enough trouble without making more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

we usually leave them on the ewe until a single suitable for adoption comes along, usually only a few days.
    We had four successful fosterings in the last 24 hrs, I'd never see it as a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

rangler1 wrote: »
    we usually leave them on the ewe until a single suitable for adoption comes along, usually only a few days.
    We had four successful fosterings in the last 24 hrs, I'd never see it as a problem.

Hi rangler1, when you get time would you mind going through the process you use to foster a lamb a few days old onto a single bearing ewe if you don't mind.
    Relatively new to sheep myself and only managed it once myself successfully with a very quiet ewe.
    Thanks

Sami23 wrote: »
    Hi rangler1, when you get time would you mind going through the process you use to foster a lamb a few days old onto a single bearing ewe if you don't mind.
    Relatively new to sheep myself and only managed it once myself successfully with a very quiet ewe.
    Thanks

No problem, We'd try to get the ewe just when she's nesting, We use a plastic basin, we put a 2 or 3 inches warm water in it and 2 or3 tablespoons salt in it, get the lamb then and tie the two front legs together and the two back legs together, we use snap ties for that, put the dry lamb into the water and soak him well, then drain the water out of the basin.
    Catch the ewe then and put the lamb and basin under her when you're lambing her so that the lamb and fluids come down on top of the foster lamb,
    rub the fluids into him and the other lamb against him, bring off her own lamb and she should be licking the foster lamb, cut the snap ties after 8 to 10 minutes and give her back her own lamb after another 8 to 10 minutes.,
    If you don't get the ewe before she lambs, you can adopt her this way.
    Prepare the lamb the same way, put your hand into the ewe as if you were lambing her and move your hand around in side her, she'll start forcing again and when you see her licking her lips, she's ready for adoption, put your hand into her and out bringing any cleanings that's loose and rub it on the foster lamb, get the ewe to lick your hand each time as well
    You'll know when she keen to lick, then give her the foster lamb and take away her own, cut the snap ties after 8 to10 mins etc etc..
    Some ewe's get suspicious if the lamb get's up too quick and some lose interest if they don't get up quick enough and you might have to cut the legs free at less than 8 to 10 mins, but you'll get used to judging that yourself
    hope that's explained alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

rangler1 wrote: »
    No problem, We'd try to get the ewe just when she's nesting, We use a plastic basin, we put a 2 or 3 inches warm water in it and 2 or3 tablespoons salt in it, get the lamb then and tie the two front legs together and the two back legs together, we use snap ties for that, put the dry lamb into the water and soak him well, then drain the water out of the basin.
    Catch the ewe then and put the lamb and basin under her when you're lambing her so that the lamb and fluids come down on top of the foster lamb,
    rub the fluids into him and the other lamb against him, bring off her own lamb and she should be licking the foster lamb, cut the snap ties after 8 to 10 minutes and give her back her own lamb after another 8 to 10 minutes.,
    If you don't get the ewe before she lambs, you can adopt her this way.
    Prepare the lamb the same way, put your hand into the ewe as if you were lambing her and move your hand around in side her, she'll start forcing again and when you see her licking her lips, she's ready for adoption, put your hand into her and out bringing any cleanings that's loose and rub it on the foster lamb, get the ewe to lick your hand each time as well
    You'll know when she keen to lick, then give her the foster lamb and take away her own, cut the snap ties after 8 to10 mins etc etc..
    Some ewe's get suspicious if the lamb get's up too quick and some lose interest if they don't get up quick enough and you might have to cut the legs free at less than 8 to 10 mins, but you'll get used to judging that yourself
    hope that's explained alright

Thanks very much for that rangler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I would take one away - either foster on or sell on donedeal...

Don't think pets are worth the hassle...

But - I'm lazy to be honest... ;)

Her lambs seem to be doing OK. She has lots of milk on one side. I don't really have time for another pet and hate selling them on DD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Her lambs seem to be doing OK. She has lots of milk on one side. I don't really have time for another pet and hate selling them on DD!

the ewe won't be able to keep producing enough milk for the 2 after 2 weeks or so
    you might get away with giving the smaller lamb 1 bottle a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In the long run, you will regret not taking the time to foster one of them. If you don't fancy rangler's method, then another is to skin a dead lamb and place the skin on another one of the twins. Sounds a bit rough I know but there is actually nothing to it, and after one day (probably even less) you can take the skin off and the job is done.

I guarantee, from now til weaning you will be looking at those two lambs with swelled bellies on them wondering why you didn't try it. I was that soldier for long enough!

In the long run, you will regret not taking the time to foster one of them. If you don't fancy rangler's method, then another is to skin a dead lamb and place the skin on another one of the twins. Sounds a bit rough I know but there is actually nothing to it, and after one day (probably even less) you can take the skin off and the job is done.

I guarantee, from now til weaning you will be looking at those two lambs with swelled bellies on them wondering why you didn't try it. I was that soldier for long enough!

Yea, skinning the lamb works too, most of my adoptions would be on singles so wouldn't have a skin available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just went down to the field to find one of her lambs dead. Really bad weather here.

Just went down to the field to find one of her lambs dead. Really bad weather here.

She sorted it for you so, atrocious weather here too but have enough room here at the moment to keep in ewes/lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ya I figured as much rangler. Different systems. I would be trying to split twins up!

Id say you aren't alone on that front this morning. Probably a lot of casualties overnight around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’ve the same condundrum here, aged ewe I bought got separated from her lamb last summer when chased by a dog , 7 days later reunited with her lamb but she lost a teat.

She lambed twins today a ewe and a ram.. fine bag on her but by the sounds of it I need to shift one of them??

Thanks

Advertisement