Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found something in my bread - not sure what to do!

Options
  • 28-02-2016 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I bought a pack of soft bread rolls yesterday, and when I cut one open just now, there was something right in the middle of it. I don't know what it is! Here is a description: It is about the size of the tip of some-one's finger (!) and is black in colour. One side of the 'lump' is shiny, tough and wrinkled, and the other side of it is kind of squishy and moist (I know, ugh right?) Anyway, I don't know what it is, and it's freaking me out, so I was just wondering what are you meant to do when you find a foreign object in your food.

I don't think it is a raisin or piece of fruit - I'm used to baking, and in my experience, raisins etc kind of merge with the bread when they are baked. It's usually hard to separate them from the bread, they don't just fall away easily, as this object did. Not meaning to be gross, but it looks like a piece of a beetle or something. I was wondering if it could be a part of a mouse or beetle, or worse, part of some-one's finger. It has been known to happen!

I have put it aside for now. Does anyone have any advice as to how I would go about finding out what the thing is? Is there a protocol to be followed in these situations? I haven't contacted the manufacturers yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

There's usually a customer complaints or some such phone number on most products. Give it a call. I used to work in a lab for a producer where stuff like this was taken very seriously - sure insects found in food would be sent to an independent third-party lab to be tested to see what they died from etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Astrolabe wrote: »
    I bought a pack of soft bread rolls yesterday, and when I cut one open just now, there was something right in the middle of it. I don't know what it is! Here is a description: It is about the size of the tip of some-one's finger (!) and is black in colour. One side of the 'lump' is shiny, tough and wrinkled, and the other side of it is kind of squishy and moist (I know, ugh right?) Anyway, I don't know what it is, and it's freaking me out, so I was just wondering what are you meant to do when you find a foreign object in your food.

I don't think it is a raisin or piece of fruit - I'm used to baking, and in my experience, raisins etc kind of merge with the bread when they are baked. It's usually hard to separate them from the bread, they don't just fall away easily, as this object did. Not meaning to be gross, but it looks like a piece of a beetle or something. I was wondering if it could be a part of a mouse or beetle, or worse, part of some-one's finger. It has been known to happen!

I have put it aside for now. Does anyone have any advice as to how I would go about finding out what the thing is? Is there a protocol to be followed in these situations? I haven't contacted the manufacturers yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading :)

Throw it in the bin and get on with your life. It'll hardly explode anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Keep the entire loaf and any packaging and contact the makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Thanks so much for taking the time to write that extremely helpful reply. This forum is very lucky to have you, Kristopherus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Just waiting for the claims-culture vultures to start circling. Just get in contact and let them know, customer complaint contact details are usually on the back of the packaging. S*** happens.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Take photos and send the sample back in registered post.

You'll probably get a year's supply of bread or even more for non disclosure of the brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Which,your life,the bin or it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Well, no. It would be a massive help for the Quality department, who can trace back the batches to establish what went wrong, and how they can rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There's no set protocol afaik, it depends on the outcome you prefer.

You could bring it back to the shop from where you bought it and get a refund or replacement.

Or you could complain to the manufacturer instead who will probably give a thank you and apology and perhaps a few vouchers for their products.

Or you could complain to the Food Safety Authority who will bring it to the attention of the manufacturer.

In all scenarios if there's a risk to public health then remaining stock may be withdrawn from sale and the quality systems reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Thanks guys. I 'm not trying to make a claim or anything - there's no harm done, etc...I just wondered what I should do,as nothing like this has ever happened to me before. Like most people, I've found what I'm sure is my fair share of snails on lettuces, and stale crisps (lol), but this thing looks really gross and suspicious. If, for instance, it just turned out to be part of an olive or a piece of rubber or something, then that's not so bad. But if it turned out to be part of a rodent or beetle, then it would call into question the hygiene practices of the bakery, and I figured they ought to know. I have the receipt and the packaging - I reckon I'll just contact the bakery directly, instead of taking it back to the supermarket where I bought it.

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Astrolabe wrote: »
    I reckon I'll just contact the bakery directly, instead of taking it back to the supermarket where I bought it.

Best thing to do.
    They'll be very happy if you do this, as it'll be 'free Quality Assurance' for them and they can take the necessary action to ensure it doesn't happen again.
    The least you'll get back is the cost of replacement, but you may get a little bit more as a sign of appreciation.

Unless it posed a serious risk to your health, there's no point kicking up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think contacting the manufacturer is the best way to go. Something in a similar vein happened me with some rice before - odd looking melted bits of plastic in packet & very not right smell when cooked). Took a few photos, emailed them to the company in question. Got a lovely reply thanking me for bringing it to their attention & that they had now noted a problem with that batch. Recalled them all. Asked for my address & sent me some vouchers which was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Found a piece of rubber in a can of soup once. Took photos and raised a complaint with the company in question. Sent it away and forgot about it, then got a letter apologising and saying they had identified that the rubber was from vegetable stuffs packaging and they had since changed process to avoid this in future and they would send good will gesture.

A few days later I received a box full of different preserves, jams etc. about 10 of them.

You should complain but I think it's a bit much to expect more than a small gesture :) But hey pain and suffering... !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, the manufacturers are usually happiest to be contacted as it can confirm issues with specific batches. Whereas the retailer will just throw it in the bin and give you a fresh one. We bought some Dee's burgers recently that basically disintegrated on the grill. Just contacted them via facebook, confirmed the expiry date with them and they confirmed there was an issue with that batch. Then sent us GBP£10 through paypal, which is about 4 times what we paid for them.

Advertisement