Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet cable connection - DIY crimping issues

Options
  • 28-02-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hopefully someone can help with this

I have a cable connection in my bedroom for my laptop. Because I take the cable in and out all the time and move it from my desk to my bed it wears on the cable and eventually the connection just drops because what I am assuming is the strain on the cable from being moved often.

I bought a crimping tool and those spare clear clips to cut the wire back and make a brand new connection, this has worked in the past.

However this time it hasn't worked, there is no internet connection. I have done it 3 times and no connection. All the wires are also in the right order as I'v compared them to the original connection which has worked. Anyone any ideas?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd say you've probably caused a break somewhere further down the cable causing it not to connect no matter how well you crimp it, or its simply a case of a pin not touching (if one wire isnt far enough in it wont make contact).

In any case you should terminate the run properly then use a short patch cable to connect the laptop to so you arent reterminating the entire run each time. A cheap 5 port switch would be a great way to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

If your using same cable it could be damaged at some point thus getting you nowhere,also as suggested the wires have to be flexed as tight as possible inside rj45 before crimping and hopefully ur using diagram to make straight trough cable.Just to rule out option that your old cable could be twisted or damaged somewhere,try doing one of the short cables usually yellow that comes with routers,since id imagine people would have couple spare over the years to play with.

also link:http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6892/1 since doing it few times wont make you good thus sometimes you can miss something,not that its rocket science :)

Advertisement