Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the league?

• 28-02-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Poll included. Interesting season.

Who is going to win the league? 255 votes

Leicester
    0% 0 votes
    Spurs
    44% 113 votes
    Arsenal
    31% 81 votes
    Man City
    6% 17 votes
    Man United
    10% 26 votes
    West Ham
    5% 15 votes
    Southampton
    0% 1 vote
    Stoke
    0% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Hard to see past United on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

curry-muff wrote: »

They're called 'city'. Leicester CITY.

:pac:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

3 wins, 2 defeats and a draw in the last 6? Yep, they're going to steamroll the league from 12 points behind in 11 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Eh?! :confused: If you're talking current form, Spurs have won the last 6 games in a row in the PL. They're the form team in the league, yet you can't see past Utd?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chose Leicester.

Such an easy story to get behind. Would be happy to see Spurs win it either though. Given United are so far behind, I'm all for an underdog story and it doesnt get bigger than Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Eh, he obviously means West Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Spurs for me. I was talking them up a few months back as dark horses and a good outside bet, they're certainly more than that now.

Arsenal are bottlers and have a manager who is more interested in excuses. Man City are still a threat.

But it's starting to become a battle between Spurs and Leicester and i just feel Spurs have more about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Based on this weekend's final, I'd say City.

But Dundalk will be trying their hardest to get the three in a row and Rovers will be up there, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whoever finishes top with the most points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Really gunning for a Leicester league win but I think spurs have that little bit extra squad depth and quality.

If either win it's been an excellent season and a win for football over money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Talk like that will get you hired by BT sport ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Voted spurs but hope leicester do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It'll be spurs. And fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Picked Spurs, they won't have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Spurs could really do with going out of the Europa League. I think they are the best team in the league this year. Strong in all areas of the pitch if they go out of EL I'd make them favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

im biased hope spurs can sneak it as a spurs fan trying to stay below the radar.
    but if so far leicester deserve it . fantastic team who are willing to die for each other and the jersey and their manager.. ranieri is a class act too. an absolute gentleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Spurs could really do with going out of the Europa League. I think they are the best team in the league this year. Strong in all areas of the pitch if they go out of EL I'd make them favourites.

I disagree. Keep on winning football matches. It becomes a roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Owen, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Nalz wrote: »
    Owen, is that you?

Kinda stepped on my joke there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Voted leicester. Most of the squad will never have a chance again and they play as if they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

With the lack of workload I'm going for Leicester City, Spurs as runners up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I still think City will sneak it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

City for me.

Leicester will last another couple of games, Arsenal have been out of it for me for a while now. Spurs are the only other challengers and it's hard to know what to make of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

like most neutrals hope Leicester - if not them - Spurs - then Arsenal - anyone but City buying another trophy , everything they win seams hollow to me , including today - given there resources , I could manage them and win something. Go on Leicester.

thebaz wrote: »
    like most neutrals hope Leicester - if not them - Spurs - then Arsenal - anyone but City buying another trophy , everything they win seams hollow to me , including today - given there resources , I could manage them and win something. Go on Leicester.

I'd doubt it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

hope its Leicester but think Spurs might do it. Wouldnt rule out City yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Spurs fan here- City will win it yet.
    They hauled back a bigger gap in less time two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Kante missing the next two games is a big loss for Leicester. Think spurs myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

golfball37 wrote: »
    Spurs fan here- City will win it yet.
    They hauled back a bigger gap in less time two years ago.

City were decent enough for the majority of that season. They haven't put a good run together this season at all and with Pellegrini's future at the club common knowledge you would have to wonder if they have the fight in them.
    They were bang average yesterday in that cup final, a better team than Liverpool would have beaten them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not sure at all on City. Bit of a gap there now alright and although I know they have a game in hand I'd always still rather the points in the bag too. They also have to go to Anfield on Wednesday against a Liverpool side who will be up for some revenge and a tough game or two yet against the likes of Arsenal and United and they have the penchant for also dropping points against weaker times when not expected too.

To be honest as a neutral unfortunately (Man Utd fan) in terms of the race for first I think it would be brilliant for the league and about time that someone from outside what was traditionally now for a few years as the 'big four' not only infiltrates that group of teams but can also go on to win it. I'd be delighted if it was Leicester firstly but if not Spurs. I say that not in terms of not wanting our traditional rivals to win it but it would be great for the game overall I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whatever about who wins it, whichever of the contenders misses out is really going to regret it over time. How likely is it that the big money three will all be so poor again, it seems inevitable that with their spending power they will return to the top of the table next season and the likes of Leicester and Spurs will get squeezed out.

Obviously Leicester are unlikely to ever come this close again, but even for Spurs this could be a once in a generation chance to step into the gap and bag a title that is usually the domain of the likes of Chelsea and United. If they can't take this one when will a chance like this ever come again?

And Arsenal? Leicester and Spurs will kick themselves if they fall short, but Arsenal messing up this opportunity will really show them up. If Wenger couldn't win it this season you have to wonder if he can ever win it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think City turned a corner with the good win in the Ukraine and then the League Cup win. I think they will go from strength to strength from here on in.

Like everybody I'd like to see Leicester win it but if it's not going to be them then I'd like City to win it just so Manuel Pellegrini can walk out the door in the summer with his head held high. He is a real gentleman of the game and an intelligent man too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was thinking about this yesterday and I do not think it is just the romantic inside of me but at this stage it is between Leicester and Spurs.

Arsenal are just too mentally frail, although they do usually do well towards the end of the season. I am going to put that down to the fact that the pressure is off.

City will have to pull of a serious run of form to do.

Logically and without the history of the clubs, Spurs and Leicester just seem like a step ahead of the other 2.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's spurs for me and even as a Chelsea fan, it's difficult to begrudge them. They've been solid, Pochetino is a grafter and they have the mettle imo to last the pace for the next 11 games.

I would have said Leicester until recently but they're seriously making hard work of beating minnows now and they're also without Kante, which is a massive deal. I'd love to see them do it for the fairytale bit but it would be bad news for the league if they win.

Leicester have the easiest run-in by far out of the contenders so they have that going but I just can't see spurs dropping too many points, whereas Leicester you'd think definitely will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Leicester couldn't have asked for a better run in, and I fear that may be their downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's gonna be City and we're all gonna cry.

No offence City fans, you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

City were decent enough for the majority of that season. They haven't put a good run together this season at all and with Pellegrini's future at the club common knowledge you would have to wonder if they have the fight in them.
    They were bang average yesterday in that cup final, a better team than Liverpool would have beaten them.

They won their first 5 games without conceding a goal and most said they were a shoe in for the league. Kompany then got injured and they looked dodgy at the back without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Think it's between Spurs and Leicester. Would love Leicester to do it and would be happy enough with Spurs doing it as I really like Pochettino as a manager.

Leicester have the best run-in while Spurs have a really tough EL tie so that would give Leicester a bit of an advantage.

Arsenal and Man City just look very shaky of late and I can't see them doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'd doubt it TBH.

- with the quality and quantity and infrasture in place , I'b be rightly pissed if I won nothing - the challenge at City , which Pep will tackle is doing it in Europe and winning a league

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Spurs still have to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd. Regardless of how these teams are playing currently, these will always be tough games. We are stronger then we've been in years, and i'd fully expect us to do well against all the above teams (i'd want at least 7 points, if not more), but i just don't see Leicester dropping that many points considering their opposition over the next 11 games.#

Either way, it's great to be up there challenging for the title.
    I'd love to see them do it for the fairytale bit but it would be bad news for the league if they win.

Just curious as to why you think Leicester winning would be bad for the league. I'd have thought a team like Leicester, winning with the odds massively stacked against them, would be a good thing. Gives the smaller teams hope that it's at least possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think a reason at least will be the Co efficient.
    But as United fan we can't really say we have helped that can we?

If Foxes won it and meant a place lost to CL(I know it won't be their fault primarily) so be it. It's tough luck on bigger clubs.

If Arsenal will beat Tottenham, and I think they maight, Then I tip them to go on and win. If Tottenham wins, Leicester will be championes if there are no more injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think a reason at least will be the Co efficient.
    But as United fan we can't really say we have helped that can we?

If Foxes won it and meant a place lost to CL(I know it won't be their fault primarily) so be it. It's tough luck on bigger clubs.

Am I right in thinking that league winners are automatic first seeds for the top leagues? So they'd be seeded with psg, barca Bayern etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fancy Spurs to beat Arsenal and then push on

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Mushy wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that league winners are automatic first seeds for the top leagues? So they'd be seeded with psg, barca Bayern etc?

Yep, from a co-effecient point of view itd be better if Leicester won, otherwise they'll end up bottom seeds.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I voted Leicester originally but now I'm going Arsenal. I'm serious, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Heart says leicester, head says arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

If City beat Liverpool tonight I cannot see past them.
    My prediction is United will overtake Leicester for the last champions league spot.

Top 6;
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Leicester
    Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

W123-80's wrote: »
    My prediction is United will overtake Leicester for the last champions league spot.

Top 6;
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Leicester
    Chelsea

Very hard to see United closing an 11 point gap,and that's if they win tonight!

W123-80's wrote: »

Top 6;
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Leicester
    Chelsea

Chelsea wont get 6th, not IMO anyway.

We'll end up in and around 8th-10th.

Our last 3 home games are Spurs, City and Leicester all clubs going for the title so we wont win the legaue but we'll have a say on who potentially can win it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement