Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is going to win the league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

W123-80's wrote: »
    If City beat Liverpool tonight I cannot see past them.
    My prediction is United will overtake Leicester for the last champions league spot.

Top 6;
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Leicester
    Chelsea

There's no way Leicester finish outside the top 4 now. United can only hope they can continue their good form and City plod along like they have been doing. Top 4 for United is too big an ask IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Chelsea wont get 6th, not IMO anyway.

We'll end up in and around 8th-10th.

Our last 3 home games are Spurs, City and Leicester all clubs going for the title so we wont win the legaue but we'll have a say on who potentially can win it.

Jaysus so that means us Arsenal fans have to cheer you on 3 times more this season.......:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

W123-80's wrote: »
    If City beat Liverpool tonight I cannot see past them.
    My prediction is United will overtake Leicester for the last champions league spot.

Top 6;
    Man City
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Man Utd
    Leicester
    Chelsea

If Utd win their last 11 games Leicester will need to win 7 of their last 10 games to guarantee top 4. Utd win 8 of their last 11 which would be a great end to the season for them. Leicester will only need to win 4 of their last 10 to stay ahead of them. It will take a huge collapse for leicester to miss out on top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Of my three predictions I will concede United finishing 4th is the boldest of them all..!!
    City for the league and Chelsea for top 6 are very possible.

I just have a very bad feeling in my gut/waters/bones etc that the wheels are about to come spectacularly off the Leicester wagon.

I couldn't think of a better end to this premier league season than Leicester City being crowned champions, but I think as the battle heats and their grip on the top loosens the pressure will become too much.

My bold prediction is that they will fall out of the top four, my more reasonable prediction is that they will finish no higher than 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Think watford will beat leicster on the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

I reckon City will win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

xtal191 wrote: »
    I reckon City will win it

At this rate they're struggling to hold on to a CL spot!

It'd be great if Pep came to no CL football.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Arsenal, City and Spurs all lose, leaving Leicester laughing after gaining a point last night.

Utd for the last CL spot maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Looks like Leicester are nailed on certainties to win it now.

I'd fancy Arsenal will probably beat Spurs at the weekend as well just when the pressure is off them and no-one thinks they can win it.

The lack of quality in the EPL this season is simply staggering for a supposedly great league.It's been like a slow bicycle race all season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The lack of quality in the EPL this season is simply staggering for a supposedly great league.It's been like a slow bicycle race all season.

it has everything that Sport is about , excitement , passion & unpredictability unlike many 2 horse leagues , which are more like slow bicycle races to me - that why TV companies pay so much for it - too much mind, but it is exciting

thebaz wrote: »
    it has everything that Sport is about , excitement , passion & unpredictability unlike many 2 horse leagues , which are more like slow bicycle races to me - that why TV companies pay so much for it - too much mind, but it is exciting

Except quality.You want excitement passion unpredictability watch Junior B hurling.It's pure sh1te but sure it's exciting in a bad way.

If it was effectively rigged beforehand to be topsy turvy like American sport is you could use your argument as a defence but frankly the top teams in the EPL have been an embarrassment this season and the entertainment value hasn't been all that high as unpredictable results are exciting when you know how difficult it is to achieve them but unpredictability due to incompetence is not really that exciting.

My slow bicycle race reference means nobody looks like they want to actually win which is exactly what the EPL has been like this season.

Except quality.You want excitement passion unpredictability watch Junior B hurling.It's pure sh1te but sure it's exciting in a bad way.

ok its pure ****e , thats why so many people Worldwide watch it , cause its ****e , We're all wrong , and you're right - enjoy

ok its pure ****e , thats why so many people Worldwide watch it , cause its ****e , We're all wrong , and you're right - enjoy

Baywatch was the most watched TV programme in the world in the 1990's and it was sh1te as well.

Baywatch was the most watched TV programme in the world in the 1990's and it was sh1te as well.

its so cool to bash the EPL - but people enjoy , what Leicester are doing is why I love Sport , let me and others enjoy without constant uber cool sneering & sniping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tonight's results confirm no-one wants to win this league!

But it's certainly the most exciting epl season ever.

Come on Leicester!

• Advertisement

its so cool to bash the EPL - but people enjoy , what Leicester are doing is why I love Sport , let me and others enjoy without constant uber cool sneering & sniping

I'm not sniping simply pointing out how poor the competition has been this season.What exactly is cool (or trying to be cool) about what I'm saying.I'm not stopping anyone from enjoying it just saying how poor the EPL has been this season in comparison to pretty much every other EPL season.

sugarman wrote: »
    Nonesense.

TV companies pay the most money because its the most marketed / profitable league.

This is the worst PL season since it begun in terms of quality, its exciting to see if Leicester or Spurs will do it. Thats for sure. Put if those 2 teams performed as they had now in any previous season, at this stage theyd be sitting around 4th/5th spot.

TV Companies pay money to make money - they assess that people want to watch the Premiership, take a calculated gamble , and people do watch the Premiership , but its deemed cool here on boards to bash the EPL - have a look the threads here on boards and most are about EPL , people like it - get over it

I'm not sniping simply pointing out how poor the competition has been this season.What exactly is cool (or trying to be cool) about what I'm saying.I'm not stopping anyone from enjoying it just saying how poor the EPL has been this season in comparison to pretty much every other EPL season.

I'm sure if i ranted on here that i found Spanish football boring and predictable , I too would be rounded on, and rightly so - but I find constant sniping here about English football is tolerated with gutso , and yet most of the threads here are about English football - anyway off to bed

I'm sure if i ranted on here that i found Spanish football boring and predictable , I too would be rounded on, and rightly so - but I find constant sniping here about English football is tolerated with gutso , and yet most of the threads here are about English football - anyway off to bed

There is constant criticism all over the place about other leagues.What I've said about the EPL is 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Spurs and leicester are both playing good football and deserve to be where they are now. We are almost guaranteed a new champion at this stage as well (including Arsenal as it is almost a decade since they won), so what's not to like?

This is easily the best PL year that i can remember because it is not the usual suspects up there, it will not be bought with money, but with proper skill, tactics and teamwork. Just because its not the brand names doesn't mean the quality is any worse. It took a few years for the D4 yummy mummies to realize that Lidl and Aldi offer just as quality (if not better) product as M&S do, but they did. And so will you in time Dingus, so will you.

• Advertisement

Spurs and leicester are both playing good football and deserve to be where they are now. We are almost guaranteed a new champion at this stage as well (including Arsenal as it is almost a decade since they won), so what's not to like?

This is easily the best PL year that i can remember because it is not the usual suspects up there, it will not be bought with money, but with proper skill, tactics and teamwork. Just because its not the brand names doesn't mean the quality is any worse. It took a few years for the D4 yummy mummies to realize that Lidl and Aldi offer just as quality (if not better) product as M&S do, but they did. And so will you in time Dingus, so will you.

I'm sorry but the quality of the league this season is not that high.The 5 biggest clubs in the league (Man Utd,Man City,Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool) have all had poor seasons.If the standard bearers for the league are all underperforming it is not indicative of a high quality league this season.

Leicester and Spurs are doing brilliantly this season and deserve to be at the top but in a normal year they wouldn't be in contention for the title.

If some of the great teams the EPL has produced were in this years competition they'd be running away with things.Thre must be players who missed out on a title in the past looking on in envy at the lack of quality in the league this season.

• I'm sorry but the quality of the league this season is not that high.The 5 biggest clubs in the league (Man Utd,Man City,Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool) have all had poor seasons.If the standard bearers for the league are all underperforming it is not indicative of a high quality league this season.

Leicester and Spurs are doing brilliantly this season and deserve to be at the top but in a normal year they wouldn't be in contention for the title.

If some of the great teams the EPL has produced were in this years competition they'd be running away with things.Thre must be players who missed out on a title in the past looking on in envy at the lack of quality in the league this season.

Consistently laying blame to the top teams for "under-performing" gives no credit to the other teams who have genuinely improved and have gotten stronger.
    What constitutes a strong league to you?
    Simply saying that anyone outside of the top teams should be cannon fodder ala La Liga to state a claim that the league is stronger is just wrong.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Consistently laying blame to the top teams for "under-performing" gives no credit to the other teams who have genuinely improved and have gotten stronger.
    What constitutes a strong league to you?
    Simply saying that anyone outside of the top teams should be cannon fodder ala La Liga to state a claim that the league is stronger is just wrong.

But teams in La Liga aren't just cannon fodder.Atletico are second at the moment.Villareal are only 4 points behind Real Madrid and La Liga teams are doing very well in both European competitions.Barcelona make a lot of teams in La Liga look worse than they are because they are so good.I would say 3 of the top 5 teams in Euope at the moment are playing in La Liga.

Some teams in the EPL have got stronger but it's been made look better by the falling off of the top teams.

• But teams in La Liga aren't just cannon fodder.Atletico are second at the moment.Villareal are only 4 points behind Real Madrid and La Liga teams are doing very well in both European competitions.Barcelona make a lot of teams in La Liga look worse than they are because they are so good.I would say 3 of the top 5 teams in Euope at the moment are playing in La Liga.

Some teams in the EPL have got stronger but it's been made look better by the falling off of the top teams.

You have only mentioned 4 teams
    So what
    La Liga is full of cannon fodder and you know it. Piss poor teams who get absolutely hammered week in week out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

So what
    La Liga is full of cannon fodder and you know it. Piss poor teams who get absolutely hammered week in week out

Real and barca would hammer most teams in the PL. Because the PL is so inconsistent it's more a reflection on the weakness of the top teams rather than an indication that the league is strong. I'd be fairly confident barca real and athletico would all be comfortably top 4 in the PL.

• Real and barca would hammer most teams in the PL. Because the PL is so inconsistent it's more a reflection on the weakness of the top teams rather than an indication that the league is strong. I'd be fairly confident barca real and athletico would all be comfortably top 4 in the PL.

I don't agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Amazing how the clear improvement in the standard of several sides is written off or simply ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Amazing how the clear improvement in the standard of several sides is written off or simply ignored.

And on the other side the abject performances of the big clubs is also being downplayed. Both are true, the smaller sides have improved but the big clubs are very much underperforming.

The quality of the league overall has contracted, and with teams becoming closer in terms of relative quality it will of course make for a more competitive league. However the upper level of quality has absolutely decreased, there are no great sides in that league right now.

I believe it will revert though, the big money clubs cannot continue to perform so badly indefinitely.

Some people just love bashing English football here - regardless of the fact that so many enjoy it - call it overpaid entertainment , call it sport - the fact is people like it - the reality is over the past 2 decades English teams have provided some of the great spectacles in sport -

United CL in 99
    Liverpool CL recovery in '05
    City title win in '12

People enjoy it, including a cynic like me , but many here enjoy sniping at those that enjoy its supposed inferior football - what Leicester are doing right now is one of the great stories of Sport - a mid table team , spending very little relatively to ther peers, outdoing United, Arsenal, City and Liverpool -restores my faith in Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Firstly middle rank teams have larger transfer and wage budgets, also I believe the standard of some of the managers including poch, flores, ranieri, bilic are a lot better than previous mid rank teams. Wenger is gone stale, pelligrini is out the door, van gaal nothing more said. Seems genuine quality players can be snapped up now by the lower teams. Some of the big names with the top four maybe are just not that good as seen in the champions league

• Advertisement

So what

If thats the case then every single league in Europe is full of cannon fodder and piss poor teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

So what

There's more than four teams in La liga Mick, Sevilla, Atletico Bilbao,Celta Vigo, Depor, Málaga, all of which don't receive heavy beatings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Looks like Leicester are nailed on certainties to win it now.

I'd fancy Arsenal will probably beat Spurs at the weekend as well just when the pressure is off them and no-one thinks they can win it.

I don't know how Leicester could be classed as 'nailed on certainties to win it'

They are only 3 points clear with 30 points still up for grabs.
    I know the theory is that the other contenders are not showing enough consistent form to win it, but surely if that were the case Leicester would be more than 3 points clear.?

This league is far from over.

I will also stand over my prediction that City win it and Leicester finish 4th..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'm sorry but the quality of the league this season is not that high.The 5 biggest clubs in the league (Man Utd,Man City,Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool) have all had poor seasons.If the standard bearers for the league are all underperforming it is not indicative of a high quality league this season.

Next year will be tougher for the two teams, especially leicester, as they will have more games in the CL/EL, but I would like to think spurs have developed a strong enough squad to remain fighting for a while. They look to have a good rotation policy so if they do miss out this year, it will be a lesson to bring into next year.

I still think this is great for the PL though, it will make it more competitive and ultimately improve the so called standard bearers or (hopefully) create new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Do you even watch La Liga? Or are you just assuming this?

The Average teams in La Liga would beat most Prem teams over 2 legs IMO.

Also, Have you met Aston Villa? Getting hammered week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's more than four teams in La liga Mick, Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao,Celta Vigo, Depor, Málaga, all of which don't receive heavy beatings

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Looks to me like Leceister's last serious challengers, Spurs, are busy falling short now. Spurs' inability to control games is going to kill them. Leicester control games even less, but they have the fitness and pace for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Pro. F wrote: »
    Looks to me like Leceister's last serious challengers, Spurs, are busy falling short now. Spurs' inability to control games is going to kill them. Leicester control games even less, but they have the fitness and pace for it.

Spurs' schedule is going to cost them, imo. If I was Pochettino I would play a weakened team against Dortmund and focus on the PL. Massive game for Leicester this evening. If they win, they'll have a nice little cushion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

La liga doesn't do cannon fodder but when it does, it's not by half measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Ronaldo just scored 4 goals against the 6th place team in La Liga, instead of applauding people have brushed off Celta as a 'small team' yet when la Liga is called a clear 2/3 horse race people jump to its defence over the premier league. What is with the double standards?

The premier league has more depth in quality than la Liga. For example 11th place Everton has stones, Barkley and Lakaku can you tell me 3 genuinely class players from 11th place Malaga?

I know it's the wrong thread but it seems to be where the elite followers of La Liga are currently lurking.

Anyways back to the fairytale and mahrez has just put Leicester ahead! If they see this out they are 5 points ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its simple in LA Liga they have the best players but there all in the top 3 teams, in the BPL there's brilliant players but more evenly spread out

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Massive win for Leicester

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Toobz wrote: »
    Ronaldo just scored 4 goals against the 6th place team in La Liga, instead of applauding people have brushed off Celta as a 'small team' yet when la Liga is called a clear 2/3 horse race people jump to its defence over the premier league. What is with the double standards?

The premier league has more depth in quality than la Liga. For example 11th place Everton has stones, Barkley and Lakaku can you tell me 3 genuinely class players from 11th place Malaga?

I know it's the wrong thread but it seems to be where the elite followers of La Liga are currently lurking.

Anyways back to the fairytale and mahrez has just put Leicester ahead! If they see this out they are 5 points ahead!

If the second level of premier league teams are so good why have their teams not done better in the secondary European competition over the years.

Everton are clearly a top 6 premier league team in talent but are being woefully mismanaged at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

If the second level of premier league teams are so good why have their teams not done better in the secondary European competition over the years.

Everton are clearly a top 6 premier league team in talent but are being woefully mismanaged at the moment.

Everton don't have a manager :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GreNoLi wrote: »
    La liga doesn't do cannon fodder but when it does, it's not by half measures.

Tbf Villa are the worst team in any major league in Europe. Newcastle & Norwich are fücking desperate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have no horse in this race, but English clubs don't do well in the 2nd tier of European comps because they treat it like a glorified carling cup game. Whether that's right or wrong is another story entirely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Toobz wrote: »

Its simple in LA Liga they have the best players but there all in the top 3 teams, in the BPL there's brilliant players but more evenly spread out

Celta Vigo hammered Barcelona 4-1 earlier in the season and injuries have hit. They are a very good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

dfx- wrote: »
    Celta Vigo hammered Barcelona 4-1 earlier in the season and injuries have hit. They are a very good side.

Until Ronaldo scores 4 against them, then they're just a stick to beat him with for his haters.

pew pew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Another vote for the foxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbf Villa are the worst team in any major league in Europe. Newcastle & Norwich are fücking desperate too.

Villa are going to struggle to stay in the Championship next year. They are dreadful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement