Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle Durrow Hotel

Options
  • 28-02-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have been going to Castle Durrow between dinners and a few drinks a good while, both in bar and restaurant. I have to say I have been there a lot and it's a place that won't be getting my custom anymore. I have been to the restaurant and had bad experience, put it to the place being busy and very rude waitress, been in the bar instead for food and had good experience and other times a couple of us, my partner, parents, aunt and uncle for a few drinks. I think the place is very much so in decline. Service has gotten very poor, staff lack professionalism and lacking the country house critique. I'm far from a snob or anything like that but i am a firm believer of when you pay a premium you are treated as such. Problems like flat drinks, dirty glasses, under cooked food, asking people to prepay for New Years dinner and a bit of uncleanliness almost. I don't have an axe to grind or anything like that but is Ireland going the way it used to be, to be happy you get something rather than what you pay for.

Has anyone else noticed this in Castle Durrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Haven't been there in a while but I've never had a bad experience there.
    The restaurant is magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Yep. Dont like it much myself in the last year.

Seems to be as you said, in decline. Staff are a bit rude and food not great for what you pay for.

Would prefer the copper kettle if i am honest as the staff there are always very nice for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

allibastor wrote: »
    Yep. Dont like it much myself in the last year.

Seems to be as you said, in decline. Staff are a bit rude and food not great for what you pay for.

Would prefer the copper kettle if i am honest as the staff there are always very nice for food.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not a clue what the copper kettle is like at all. But it's a pity because I come from Rathdowney and there's no where around really to relax and go out for a pint or nice dinner easily tbh

Have you tried the golf club?

I found the food there good, not sure for dinner but lunch is good.

Copper Kettle is nice, but more a day time place.
    There is the Durrow arms also, its pricey but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

madmac187 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not a clue what the copper kettle is like at all. But it's a pity because I come from Rathdowney and there's no where around really to relax and go out for a pint or nice dinner easily tbh
    You must be pretty near Fiacri House? Isn't it good?

• Advertisement

You must be pretty near Fiacri House? Isn't it good?

It is and have found it to be poor aswell.

allibastor wrote: »
    Have you tried the golf club?

I found the food there good, not sure for dinner but lunch is good.

Copper Kettle is nice, but more a day time place.
    There is the Durrow arms also, its pricey but nice.

Which golf club?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Jeez if you've come as far as Durrow, drive to Abbeyleix and go to McEvoys. Great food and mannerly staff.

If you're just looking for lunch, Bowes in Durrow is really top quality.

Jeez if you've come as far as Durrow, drive to Abbeyleix and go to McEvoys. Great food and mannerly staff.

If you're just looking for lunch, Bowes in Durrow is really top quality.

Have been in mcevoys it's nice too alright. Anyone any idea what Ashbrook house is like in Durrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Have been in mcevoys it's nice too alright. Anyone any idea what Ashbrook house is like in Durrow?

Ashbrook Arms is lovely.

Apparently a lot of the old staff in Castle Durrow have left in a short period of time. I was worried that would impact service. It appears from the comments here, that it has.

That's a real shame, because the staff used to be great and service excellent.

• Advertisement

Ashbrook Arms is lovely.

Apparently a lot of the old staff in Castle Durrow have left in a short period of time. I was worried that would impact service. It appears from the comments here, that it has.

That's a real shame, because the staff used to be great and service excellent.

Any idea why they left? Don't mean anything by it but there are a lot of foreigners working in castle Durrow now and tbh I'm not a fan of that, seems like a cost reduction and never reflects well on a business

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Into your castles head over to Kinnity, food is very good value and I've never had a bad meal there. Somewhere different for Sunday lunch.

Into your castles head over to Kinnity, food is very good value and I've never had a bad meal there. Somewhere different for Sunday lunch.

I will try it, tbh I work in England a lot so when home I like to treat my other half and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I will try it, tbh I work in England a lot so when home I like to treat my other half and relax.

Book the room with the Viking bed and fall into it from the dungeon bar, you'll be more than relaxed : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Any idea why they left? Don't mean anything by it but there are a lot of foreigners working in castle Durrow now and tbh I'm not a fan of that, seems like a cost reduction and never reflects well on a business

I really don't know. Haven't been in ages and just heard from someone. I thought it might be cutbacks as some of the staff were pretty senior and there for years.

It is always a sign that new management or something has taken over if a lot of staff leave or new staff join in rapid succession.

To be fair, I have never seen a place get better by having loads of staff who cant speak English very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

I would highly recommend Ashbrook Arms in Durrow for any occasion, I've been there many a time and each and every time I can not fault the food, ingredients, staff, decor, price. I don't work there, I don't own it and I'm not related to anyone there.

In the Thatch a few weeks ago in Birr have to say it was far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I would highly recommend Ashbrook Arms in Durrow for any occasion, I've been there many a time and each and every time I can not fault the food, ingredients, staff, decor, price. I don't work there, I don't own it and I'm not related to anyone there.

+1

Advertisement