Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Button Labeling on SF2 Cabs

• 29-02-2016 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I gather that the terms "Jab-Strong-Fierce" and "Short-Forward-Roundhouse" originated from the way the buttons were labeled on SF2 arcade cabs.

I have never used that terminology though, even when I was a kid and played a decent amount of SF2 in arcades. I never really heard much of it being said in general in Ireland until I went online.

Were these terms common place in Ireland too, or did I just completely miss them growing up? Were these terms stamped on the machines here or did we get LP/MP/HP ?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Pretty sure that jab-srtong-fierce etc is just American terminology for button types. Its interchangeable with light-medium-heavy but its not used as much outside of the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It was in the manual for World Warrior on SNES IIRC.

EDIT: I was right.

SNES Manual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Don't remember seeing such on the cabs here as a kid. Just different kinds of dirt. Heavy kick was the button with the fag burn next to it! :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The first time I saw jab strong fierce was in American literature (possibly EGM). I can recall thinking "strong" was a stupid term as strong is not a weaker sounding word than fierce and could lead to confusion.

In the arcades where I played, we used variations on the light- medium- heavy nomenclature (I can remember people using quick or middle instead of light or medium from time to time).

EDIT: I've never played SFII on a branded cab, so the buttons were were never labelled. There were probably instructions on a little sticker (usually were) but the contents of that are totally lost to time for me :)

Advertisement