Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ousted TD pensions and termination payments?

• 29-02-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain what pension arrangements and termination payments / lump sums TDs who have been ousted in current election will get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It depends how long they've been serving.
    This explains things quite well.
    Basically, divide their salary by 40 and multiply it by the number of years they worked in the Dáil up to a maximum of 20. So a TD who got elected in 2011 and wasn't re-elected would get €11.5k)

It also looks like they'd get a golden handshake of three times their pension, so a once off €35k, a further lump sum of 2 months salary (€15.4k) for those who've served more than 6 months and for more than 3 years, they'd get an additional monthly payment up to €58k over the year.

Different rules apply for ministers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Lockstep wrote: »
    Basically, divide their salary by 40 and multiply it by the number of years they worked in the Dáil up to a maximum of 20. So a TD who got elected in 2011 and wasn't re-elected would get €11.5k)

It also looks like they'd get a golden handshake of three times their pension, so a once off €35k, a further lump sum of 2 months salary (€15.4k) for those who've served more than 6 months and for more than 3 years, they'd get an additional monthly payment up to €58k over the year.

Great little country isn't it. A pension after 5 years service. Enough to boil yer pi$$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Lockstep wrote: »

I actually found one that explains it a wee bit better... http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/tdsandsenators/afterthedissolution/Dissolution-Guidelines.pdf

I think those old 2012 rules were amended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

emeldc wrote: »
    Great little country isn't it. A pension after 5 years service. Enough to boil yer pi$$.

To be fair though - the logic is that it's a big risk to run for the Dáil. You have to give up your job for a period of time, with no guarantees of being re-elected. As far as I am aware, that is the reason for the high pensions.

If the pensions weren't there, then it may have the effect of barring some people from running. Imagine giving up a full time job to be elected, then losing your seat a few years down the line - I wouldn't risk it myself...

Having said that - the pensions do get way, way too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

emeldc wrote: »

Pension doesn't kick in until they're 65/66.
    It used to be once you resigned or lost your seat, but Kenny and the lads changed it in their first few weeks to 65/66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pension doesn't kick in until they're 65/66.
    It used to be once you resigned or lost your seat, but Kenny and the lads changed it in their first few weeks to 65/66

Oh really? In that case, it renders my previous comment moot - and it goes back to the pensions being way too generous...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Also most TDs are teachers, publicans, or lawyers. None of these resign their jobs when elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Also most TDs are teachers, publicans, or lawyers. None of these resign their jobs when elected.

It would also explain why there are very few TD's from other professions and so many from the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The risk of even running for TD - which really does require you to take leave of absence to do - in any other profession in huge. People act as if the TD salary here is horrendous and then also get outraged at the fact that its mostly teachers, with guaranteed return after Oireachtas leave, that go for it.

If I even ran for the Dail I'd probably have trouble getting another job in my industry. Getting booted out after 5 years would probably have me on the dole until 66 unless I started my own business.

You also aren't going to get successful business people from any sector at all really for the Dail salary - how we even get a large number of barristers willing to take <90k with the knowledge they'll get cases out the door afterwards amazes me. I've seen people screeching about how we've a lack of entrepreneurs in the Dail - only those that have no current business are going to dedicate basically all their time to it for <90k.

Advertisement