Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yurt frame wood treatment?

• 29-02-2016 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'm starting to build a yurt (circular wood-framed tent) and have cut the wood for the walls and rafters. I know nothing about wood working. So I was wondering, do I need to treat the wood with anything to prevent rot or cracking?

The wooden frame of the yurt is going to be covered by canvas and sitting on a wooden base, which will itself be supported off the ground by blocks. If that's relevant. The yurt is going in the back garden and won't be moved much if at all.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

What wood have you used for the frame ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

fiacha wrote: »
    What wood have you used for the frame ?

White deal. It's planed but otherwise untreated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Ash would have been a better choice.

Deal is non durable, and probably not the best for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Immaculata wrote: »
    I'm starting to build a yurt (circular wood-framed tent) and have cut the wood for the walls and rafters. I know nothing about wood working. So I was wondering, do I need to treat the wood with anything to prevent rot or cracking?

The wooden frame of the yurt is going to be covered by canvas and sitting on a wooden base, which will itself be supported off the ground by blocks. If that's relevant. The yurt is going in the back garden and won't be moved much if at all.

Thank you.
    I'd suggest painting the wood, a couple of coats of gloss should keep it dry and good pay special attention to areas of end grain which will be at the ground, and give them extra paint.
    just a suggestion
    tim

the wood of the rafters and circle roof ring is traditionally painted, i do not know about the khana (wall lattice thingy). Good luck with your Ger/Yurt they are lovely spaces and comfy tents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

White deal is a variety of Spruce and will definitely need preserving against our weather. I've tried a few different brands and none of them are cheap. The solvent based types are easier to apply than water based and less streaky.
    A good compromise is a coat of Sadolins classic followed by a coat of Sadolins extra durable wood stain. Shop around - including Amazon as prices vary a lot :eek:
    I think I would use a spraygun on a big job like that but that's just me.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It will stink to start with but I'd treat the bottom foot of the wood in Protim by standing the poles in bucket of the stuff. Once treated the wood in contact with the ground will last much longer and you can still use any other treatment you feel necessary. I use Protim a lot and you can really see the difference it makes on wood that has been treated, the smell will go after a couple of weeks.

Advertisement