Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West of Ireland 2016

• 29-02-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I attended last year for the first time and loved it. Hoping to make it up again this year hopefully for a day or two.
    I see Jack Hume is playing again this year. Coming off a great week in Spain winning the Nations cup(shooting 64 in the process) he must be up there as one of the favourites.

Anyone on here playing this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

fearruanua wrote: »
    I attended last year for the first time and loved it. Hoping to make it up again this year hopefully for a day or two.
    I see Jack Hume is playing again this year. Coming off a great week in Spain winning the Nations cup(shooting 64 in the process) he must be up there as one of the favourites.

Anyone on here playing this year?

Yep, cant wait, have played 23 holes since halloween.....

Negative craic but im mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

you'd never know!!!!!

"Beware of the non expectant golfer"

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

You're gonna have a few new holes to play this time, the new 3rd green will be in play(won't be drive and an iron to the green anymore) as will a few of the other new extended greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Cut for main event fell on scratch even. Some standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

is there a handicap limit on this or can any amateur enter ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

is there a handicap limit on this or can any amateur enter ?

0.0 was the highest handicap who got in. I was now where near it of .5

0.0 was the highest handicap who got in. I was now where near it of .5

am i correct in saying though that there are always a few exemptions for those outside the handicap required to play on friday and saturday?? top juniors etc.

Yes. You are correct

Yes. You are correct

are ya going to have a go at qualifying?

Nope not this year. Couldn't justify taking the Tuesday to Friday off work if I qualified. Week is too long if you have to qualify

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

am i correct in saying though that there are always a few exemptions for those outside the handicap required to play on friday and saturday?? top juniors etc.

Always a few local entries given wild cards also

draw sheet for the strokeplay up on the golfnet website

https://www.golfnet.ie/tournaments/311/west-of-ireland-amateur-open

I see your ex club mate has got into the field this year

Weather is looking pretty sh1te for the weekend : (

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Weather is looking pretty sh1te for the weekend : (

Such a difference a week makes. Was out on Sat and the course and conditions were impeccable

best of luck for the weekend gor. i hope practice went well today. hoping to get up sunday for the matchplay. sure i'll see ya then ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Solid score this morning from GolfGorfield. very tough conditions out there today. Anything below 80 leaves you well in the hunt

great round this morning golfgorfield.
    great shooting in what seems like very tough conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Very messy... day two abandoned and scores recorded have been discarded. Rnd 1 scores determine qualifiers, with several 82s getting it done.

• Advertisement

Abandoning was a bad decision but the worst one was cutting the greens. The weather report was available for everyone and it was scheduled to be just as windy day 2 as day1. The complete lack of foresight to even consider this is just another mistake in the running this year.

The shotgun start was another bad decision imo. Very unfair to anyone starting in the last 7 holes

Bit of a disaster alright. Young lad from my own club was out in the worst of it yesterday when many said it was probably unplayable. This morning he played himself right back into contention with a great round.
    Very unfair to be told, "sorry lad, tough sh1t, off home with ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

These things are always hard to call for organizers, if play was abandoned could have they not come back and completed tomorrow????

These things are always hard to call for organizers, if play was abandoned could have they not come back and completed tomorrow????

Getting lads who have travelled from far and wide to stay over an extra night if they don't need to and a few that might have snuck in might have just went home altogether and not been around for the matchplay

Dont understand why they cant just pair guys up according to who's left. Happens in Scratch cups all the time. All you need is to make sure you have at least two at the end. If only the lads who have a chance of qualifying show up, that just makes it easier because there are fewer numbers.

Think i saw only 19 from the second wave in rd1 made it through. when the conditions are so extreme im not sure how you do it fairly given its an amateur event and as rik pointed out its hard to expect lads to hang around just in case they have a chance of making it.
    Did they consult the players at all? Even ahead of rd2 surely when handing in rd1 cards get some quick feedback or suggestions on conditions, pins etc

Some quality golf winning matches out there. McElroy won his match this morning by birdieing his last 5 holes in a row. He then went 3-3-3 for the last 3 holes in the Quarter-final to win his match

Yates blitzed the course over the first 9 holes in winning his match in the quarter finals.

Conditions were perfect, but it still has to be done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

• Advertisement

I've been glued to it since it started. I follow the twitter every year. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I was at "The West" for bits of Sat and Sun. The conditions on Sat afternoon were the worst I've seen ever. I was with a group on the 7th teebox where one lad's ball was blown off his tee about 7 or 8 times before he could hit it. Back on the 6th green there was another guy whose ball kept being blown away each time he set his ball down. It was unplayable really. It was only when I got back to the house I rubbed my eyes and could feel the sand in them!

Some of the golf I did see though was really very good. A few irons into the 3rd (par 5) and some really classy shots into the 4th (Par 3), which is usually very difficult to hold but they were all hitting high draws to the right of the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Glued to it - it's great. Getting nothing done today!

Great wins for Daniel Holland and Jonathan Yates.

I'd say a Campbell McElroy final would have been fancied given their victories over the last year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Holland is carrying his clubs around again, surely that could wear him down towards the end

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well done Jonathan Yates. West of Ireland champion 2016!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What handicaps would these lads be off?
    Also are they good enough to turn pro?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What handicaps would these lads be off?
    Also are they good enough to turn pro?

Just to qualify you needed to be off scratch. The guys who regularly make the cut at the championships are usually lower. The guys who routinely contend and win have the potential to become tour pros, but the standard at that level is incredible. Amateurs that can dominate the Irish scene (as Clarke, McIllroy, Harrington, etc...did in their days) have the ability to make successful careers on the European or PGA Tours.

Advertisement