Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup issue after power on/off.

Options
  • 29-02-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I'm having reoccurring issues with a self built desktop. I'll give a history of the problem and parts and some remedies I have tried to fix it. If anyone could point me in the direction of what to do now would be great. I've very little knowledge of how to troubleshoot or solving hardware problem.

i5 4440
    AS Rock H87M Pro4
    SSD - Windows 7 on the SSD.
    HDD
    GTX 760

When I power down my PC (Start - shut down.) I am unable to boot back up my PC within about 1 hour time frame. The screen will read that I've no HDMI connection and then the monitor will power down to standby. To turn off the PC I just hold down the power button for a few seconds and then knock it off at the switch.

Yesterday the same issue persisted however the time increased and I was unable to boot up the computer for 2 attempts at atleast 2 hours. I left if off overnight and it booted up surprisingly this morning with no issues.

The first time I tried to turn it back on yesterday after it failing I switched off the power, removed the cable and held down the power button for a minute as suggested from a google search. I then reconnected the power cable and turned it on, however nothing had changed. I then left it off for another 2 hours.

The second time I opened up the case and powered up the PC and switched it on. I noticed inside the case the fans on the cpu, graphics card and some of the other fans I have were working. One fan than I have plugged directly into a pin on the motorboard was not spinning. I then took a look at my USB keyboard and noticed the brand icon light was on as normal However the caps lock light would not turn on when pressed and the light that is normally on before I unlock the PC with my password was also not on.

I've a bad feeling this is the end of the motorboard or atleast the beginning. If anyone could point me in the direction as what might be the problem or what to do now I'd really be greatful. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like on of my boards. RMA that motherboard.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98669476&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Damn, was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I bought it off hardwareversand a while back but reading on the forum here now they've gone into insolvency.

Looks like a new motherboard so. Is it a simple as buying a new one and formatting the bios etc or do I need new windows key, the works etc? Will using this one until the new one comes run the risk of damaging other components? Should I backup before taking this one apart? I really don't know much about the hardware/software only how to put it together pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its no risk from my machine, has been running for years touch wood. Just an annoyance.

If its a retail key you're fine, if its an OEM key you'll need a new one or convince MS to reactivate it.

Advertisement