Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkins growing advice please?

Options
  • 29-02-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

So advice tips?
    I know they take up plenty of space and need plenty of water and food.
    What does that mean?
    Is tomato fert ok as food?
    How often and how much should I feed them?
    When should I plant?
    I'm planting them in good rich soil.
    Is it ok if other plants are around and they grow there too?
    And then I just water the part were the shout comes from?
    Any tips?
    I just got seeds from lidl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

No one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

gsi300024v wrote: »
    No one?

Are you growing for eating or for show(Halloween nite)

For show mainly.
    Good question though. would I treat it differently if it were one or the other.

That's why I asked myself personally if I was eating I would only feed occasionally when it needs it and limit the amount of artificial feed... When I grew a few years ago it was for show and I fed every 9 or 10 days and had proper chicken manure from the hens well dug into the soil and I got lovely pumpkins from 5 plants... They are heavy feeders and They need loads of space to grow think we had them down the back a the garden in old patch... When the pumpkins were forming we placed old tiles on the soil and a bit a hay under them to protect from rot... Haven't had a successful year with them in three years now but that was mostly down to other commitments and I shall try growing them again this year... We got one massive one in which we cut three heads in it... If I find the picture il try post it...

I.used Tom feed btw and I'd hold Off another 4 week's let late frosts go if ya can start them inside Maybe another 3 week's... Planting out for me will.be weather permitting Mid to.late April

• Advertisement

Yeah I was asked today about the planting of them by the home owner.
    I warned him it'll be work for him too, plenty of watering, I'll do the feeding, how often did you feed? I visit every two to three weeks. Would that be ok between feeds, I know they need plenty of water and food, but I'm not sure what that actually means?

Yeah I was asked today about the planting of them by the home owner.
    I warned him it'll be work for him too, plenty of watering, I'll do the feeding, how often did you feed? I visit every two to three weeks. Would that be ok between feeds, I know they need plenty of water and food, but I'm not sure what that actually means?
    DANNY2014 wrote: »
    When I grew a few years ago it was for show and I fed every 9 or 10 days

If ya can only feed every two weeks I'd say that'll be ok... Water during dry spells as in when it isn't raining much and food = feed...

Cheers, the home owner is very up for it this year so I best make a good effort, I'll get the chicken manure, bit of soil prep this weekend get it all ready so.
    Thanks again.

So a cap full of tomato food in a watering can every two weeks? Say for the same 5 plants?
    Anything I should make sure not to do or be careful of, you said it didn't work out the last few yrs, wondering why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

So advice tips?
    I know they take up plenty of space and need plenty of water and food.
    What does that mean?
    Is tomato fert ok as food?
    How often and how much should I feed them?
    When should I plant?
    I'm planting them in good rich soil.
    Is it ok if other plants are around and they grow there too?
    And then I just water the part were the shout comes from?
    Any tips?
    I just got seeds from lidl

Plenty of sun (well an open sunny spot, not shade.)
    They are greedy plants so pile on plenty of good rich soil, make little hills about 6 inches high and plant 2 seeds in the centre, to take out the weaker plant later in case of failure
    They have deep roots and long stems which can be carefully trained in circles
    Plant seeds indoors in April or sow outside late May.
    For big pumpkins remove all fruit except 2 or 3 and place straw under them to prevent rotting
    feed with tomato feed (high potash) every 2 weeks
    Remove any leaves shading the fruit

Lots and lots of water 2 or 3 times of week (I use a plastic bottle cut open put next to the seed so you can water directly into the roots)
    You can also use bottles to protect them from wind etc in the early stages
    Ive grown some great ones in Ireland
    Dont grow other plants in the same plot, they will take from each other

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/pumpkin

• Advertisement

Plenty of sun (well an open sunny spot, not shade.)
    They are greedy plants so pile on plenty of good rich soil, make little hills about 6 inches high and plant 2 seeds in the centre, to take out the weaker plant later in case of failure
    They have deep roots and long stems which can be carefully trained in circles
    Plant seeds indoors in April or sow outside late May.
    For big pumpkins remove all fruit except 2 or 3 and place straw under them to prevent rotting
    feed with tomato feed (high potash) every 2 weeks
    Remove any leaves shading the fruit

Lots and lots of water 2 or 3 times of week (I use a plastic bottle cut open put next to the seed so you can water directly into the roots)
    You can also use bottles to protect them from wind etc in the early stages
    Ive grown some great ones in Ireland
    Dont grow other plants in the same plot, they will take from each other

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/pumpkin

Cheers mate sounds good.
    Does planting in doors literally mean plant in peat, water and place somewhere with sun until they grow and then transplant outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Cheers mate sounds good.
    Does planting in doors literally mean plant in peat, water and place somewhere with sun until they grow and then transplant outdoors?

yep, just get some cheap little pots and soil from lidl or aldi's and stick on a window sill

this is a great site to sign up for, free seeds etc and great for kids\scouts and schools

http://www.giyinternational.org/

oh and 2 euro shops are great for bargain seeds and garden stuff. and trawl places like homebase, I, always finding stuff reduced

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Mine are growing now indoors, when they get one true leaf transplant to a decent sized pot and keep indoors. I don't plant out until all frost threat has gone, usually second weekend in May. If they have to go out earlier I cut the bottom out of a 5 litre water container and cover with that, a perfect mini greenhouse. They tend to run all over the place. Let it get about three fruits and then take off the rest as they grow. You can also pinch out the stem to stop it growing any further and concentrate growth in the three fruits. I agree, put a slate or some straw under each fruit to keep it off the ground a little. I grow most of mine directly on top of my compost heap and they love it. Or you can make a "feed" by putting nettles into a large container of water and leaving to rot, or the same with manure. Beer is also supposed to be good, don't go and buy it though see if you can gets slops form the local pub. Im lucky, our soil seems good so growing in the compost heap does the trick, I don't bother with any other feed. Ive had them grow up to 12kilos...and we do eat them all.

Thanks everyone, great advice, I was thinking I've dug in the chicken manure and will plant seeds outdoors at the end of the month, then really just feed and water the hell out of them. I like the idea of the bottles as greenhouses, but don't trust the home owner would take off water and replace.
    Great advice though, thank you all.

So they are finally doing well after my one i grew on the window and planted out got eaten by slugs. They are well behind were i'd like them to be, just wondered, so I've to let them ripen once they are grown. how long does that take and how do i do that? I cut them and they'll be green, is there somewhere I need to place them? Warm place, dark place?
    Also the homeowner I'm growing them for wants them for thanksgiving USA one, will the pumpkins keep growing as the days get shorter, USA thanks giving is end of November, not sure there would be much if any growth in November for pumpkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

they'll ripen on a sunny window sill or in a warm room

Cheers, will they keep growing into November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Cheers, will they keep growing into November.

I'm not sure how much growth you'll get but they won't get damaged by frost or anything. Just check them regularly and harvest them as you need them

Will do, they get liquid and granular fert every two weeks and I've told him to water the crap out of them two, 2 water cans a day for one plant.

Advertisement