Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Certainly looks like some posturing going on with Cairn not very happy to add more to their already planned €4.5m Mariavilla infrastructure outlay. 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/cairn-homes-to-pay-irish-water-part-of-cost-for-site-s-water-mains-1.3398088
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]Michael Stanley[/font][font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif], Cairn’s chief executive, told [/font][font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]The Irish Times[/font][font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif] on Monday it was close to agreeing with Irish Water to pay part of the cost of laying about 2km of water mains to the site, which would allow building to proceed.

[/font]
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]He pointed out that Cairn was already spending €4.5 million on roads, a bridge and a junction upgrade to allow Mariavilla to go ahead.

[/font]
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]Irish Water said there were no issues with capacity in the Maynooth area as a whole.[/font]

Brief update on Cairn website regarding Maynooth development

Status
    Detailed design in advance of a SHD planning application to An Bord Pleanala in Q1 2018

https://www.cairnhomes.com/portfolio/2018/2/27/mariavilla-maynooth-co-kildare

Maynooth Cairn strategic housing development website is up
    www.mariavillaplanning.com

Site planning application attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Maynooth Cairn strategic housing development website is up
    www.mariavillaplanning.com

Site planning application attached

Aren't they just dreadful, crammed in to maximise the number of units and little or no green areas. Nowhere for kids to play.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wow, getting in and out of moyglare will be hell. Total lobster pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Trying to process the scale of it all. 462 units this side of lyreen. Probably adds circa 1200 or 10% to the local population. Significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 'link street' is going to be far less useful than I hoped it would be.

There are a number of houses that actually have their entrances on to the link road which Kildare County Council refuses always; will be interesting to see if ABP require redesign also. If its meant to be like an urban street you would expect buildings to front on to it but if its meant to be a link road you wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm looking at their plans, and it backs right up on to my house, and even has our cul de sac marked up as future connection and through road into their estate...... Wtf!

Patser wrote: »
    I'm looking at their plans, and it backs right up on to my house, and even has our cul de sac marked up as future connection and through road into their estate...... Wtf!

Can you object? Just wondering? Not saying you should just wondering if it's an option.

You can object to ABP, just because its an accelerated process doesn't mean it is set in stone. There will almost certainly be submissions by various local reps so you should contact those you find effective to see if they are making one.

Greater permeability of estates is something that is wanted these days, makes cycling/walking more attractive than cars and its something that's harder to get removed from plans than it was a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »

Was always going to back onto Moyglare Hall. Those fields were sold a long time ago with that intention. There'll never be a connection through though imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

ixus wrote: »
    Was always going to back onto Moyglare Hall. Those fields were sold a long time ago with that intention. There'll never be a connection through though imho.

Aye, we've known for a while that this was coming, and we've been waiting to see exactly how bad it would be. And the current plans for us really aren't good at all. There are only 4 houses here that have a south facing out over the current fields, and we were hoping they'd plan in a green or something there. Instead those plans will have us facing a large gable end, blocking out our sun and as said, with a future possibility of a through road.

So off to object we go

The walls wouldn't be on Cairns land to plan that. It's suggestive imho and unlikely builders in Moyglare Hall be bothered to do it. That would leave council to do it after taking in charge I'm guessing. Would they be so proactive in doing that? Probably won't be taken in charge for 10yrs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bravo Oscar Bravo

Some spurious claims there that damage the overall argument - it has zero impact on Carton, mentioning it is just try get people who haven't a clue and don't live nearby to support them.

While I can support concern of a 4 storey apartment block being constructed directly in front of those estates, there is a huge amount of NIMBY activity with this application.

I like sections of the plan but have concerns over traffic as ever. It feels like it needs to get even worse before action is taken. That link road was highlighted as one of the positives in alleviating traffic, facilitating access to schools and motorway by Intel. Did no one from Old Dunboyne Rd bothered to have their say when it was presented?

Are minutes of Cairns meeting with ABP available, including KCC's thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

The nature and scale of the development is a significant concern. CAIRN PLC plan to construct two four-storey apartment blocks on the roadside, immediately opposite and in front of Castlepark and Lyreen Estates. This a major intrusion, out of context with other developments in the area, and the character and fabric of the townscape at that location; the proposed road junction servicing the apartments and the rest of the nearly 500 dwellings will generate significant traffic, light, noise, and air pollution for local residents.

when the Castlepark was up back to 2012, the bulider told there will no any development cross the rd, what a lie :eek::eek:

4 stories is not out of character with 2 and 2 dormer at that as some are. There's 3 storey duplexes nearby also.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

L1011 wrote: »
    4 stories is not out of character with 2 and 2 dormer at that as some are. There's 3 storey duplexes nearby also.
    Yeah, I don't see this argument carrying much weight. The proposed apartments are 'in character' given Manor Mills is the same height.

We could have 8 storey buildings like the one in the college with that argument.

I think they fit better across from the school, they will look well there if designed nicely.

I find it difficult to visualize them fitting with the time along Old Dunboyne Rd as they are projected as being right beside the road. Probably due to the sloping nature of field there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

kind of amusing to see the Castlepark residents complaining about "traffic, light, noise, and air pollution" around there, considering it was the construction and subsequent completion of their homes causing the same for Carton Square/Lyreen Park/Pebble Hill residents within the last few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

We could have 8 storey buildings like the one in the college with that argument.

I think they fit better across from the school, they will look well there if designed nicely.

I find it difficult to visualize them fitting with the time along Old Dunboyne Rd as they are projected as being right beside the road. Probably due to the sloping nature of field there.

I'd agree with that. from reading the application, it seems that there'll be two 4-storey buildings holding an overall total of 40 apartments?
    if these were moved to the Phase 3/Western Neighbourhood Character Area, and some of the house from that area moved to replace them, it would be more in keeping with the look of the Dunboyne Road, as well as the apartments being closer to the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

There is a public meeting in the Glenroyal on Tuesday to discuss planning and infrastructural issues in the town if anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=313820699147791&id=309755336220994

Based on the organisation of that, don't expect accurate information or much point to attending...

Decent attendance. Must have been ~100 in a small room, many standing. 4 councillors and TD Catherine Murphy.

I worry about objections along each portion of ring road as people want it but not near them...

Valid concerns on Old Dunboyne Rd if that bend can't actually be upgraded due to surrounds. If it can, it should be done imho.

A lot covered, infrastructure, traffic, childcare facilities, Harbour, safety, schools etc on an open floor. A few battles but nothing too heated.

What next? Committee formation. Cairn Submission Monday. To be kept informed.

Demographic was reasonable but few "local" young people at it. Almost certainly none below 30.

Decent attendance. Must have been ~100 in a small room, many standing. 4 councillors and TD Catherine Murphy.

I worry about objections along each portion of ring road as people want it but not near them...

Valid concerns on Old Dunboyne Rd if that bend can't actually be upgraded due to surrounds. If it can, it should be done imho.

A lot covered, infrastructure, traffic, childcare facilities, Harbour, safety, schools etc on an open floor. A few battles but nothing too heated.

What next? Committee formation. Cairn Submission Monday. To be kept informed.

Demographic was reasonable but few "local" young people at it. Almost certainly none below 30.

Thanks for the update, I'll try and make next one and see what's happening. Ideally there would be some form of freeze on building houses until the infrastructure catches up. This won't happen and means more houses get built and object to needed infrastructure.

Anything mentioned about the fake garda station reopening? I do like how it now has more parking spaces than the average hours it's open per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Surely the garda station is a fairly minor problem. The one in Leixlip is 24/7 and its 10 minutes away!

If the committee ever meets again and there is ever a second meeting I'll be surprised. There are people involved in organisation there that have a thing for forming committees so as to say they're on committees.

You could argue it is a fairly minor one right now in some regards but during term time Maynooth has a population of ~25000 people with no garda station and growing. Kilcock is also growing population wise but I guess that's only 20 mins away from Leixlip.

Like most things you'd like to respond to what will happen not catch up to what already has.

• Advertisement

Planning in to change the heights of all the 4 beds planned for the former pitch and putt site to 2.5 Dormer from 2 and 3 storey. Procedural enough but does mean it'll be a while longer before anything starts there.

Advertisement