Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reading the report there and the inspector has built a train line that never existed (giving the town a 30 minute service to Heuston - not Connolly). Would have been handy for me if I wasn't changing jobs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/330315/progress-on-major-maynooth-ring-road-project-in-kildare.html

tenders for Detailed Ground Investigation Works for the Maynooth Eastern Ring Road

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

It appears that the Cairns site opposite the secondary school on the Moyglare Road has started to be cleared. A fair bit of work going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Just passed to Maynooth today for the first time in a few months. What are the ugly new house with external concrete stairs being built near the Tesco. It looks like celtic tiger houses, just like some of the one in Dunboyne Castle.

Duplex over apartments, fairly standard way of providing density.

The average person is not capable of affording a semi-d with a garden anywhere close to Dublin anymore and Maynooth is now close enough to Dublin for that to be the case. If you don't want to live in an apartment block, the duplex over single story is a way to have something affordable with own-door access.

• Advertisement

Those massive concrete stairs will look complete crap within a few years. There should be planning regulation to force stairs inside buildings (like the duplexes in summerseat, clonee), or force to add brick/tiling to them. I thought they were a thing of the past.

Inside buildings = maintenance costs. Not going to happen generally.

Well, isn't it why we have a system of planning application to balance general interest with developer profits - what is the council doing.

Cilar wrote: »
    Well, isn't it why we have a system of planning application to balance general interest with developer profits - what is the council doing.

The maintenance costs are not going to be borne by the developer, they're going to be borne by the purchaser. And realistically they won't be maintained.

The outdoor stairs in Straffan Wood - 15 years old or so now - look fine. As vehicle emissions reduce over the time the main staining source will be gone.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Rathkenny wrote: »
    It appears that the Cairns site opposite the secondary school on the Moyglare Road has started to be cleared. A fair bit of work going on there.

How much social housing will it be? Heard 20%.

• Advertisement

Minimum 10%; not heard anything about KCC buying more than that. KCC are going to build a new estate in the town in the next while anyway.

The apartments proposed beside the Catholic church have been refused by ABP for a number of reasons; they'll re-apply I'm sure. Flood alleviation was the most critical of them.

L1011 wrote: »
    The maintenance costs are not going to be borne by the developer, they're going to be borne by the purchaser. And realistically they won't be maintained.

The outdoor stairs in Straffan Wood - 15 years old or so now - look fine. As vehicle emissions reduce over the time the main staining source will be gone.

These would be private stairs inside the building. People would maintain them as the only users.

External stairs at Straffan Wood look absolutely run down, gray/blackish, with clear mark of damp going down. It's a complete eyesore. Damp is the issue, not car pollution.

Photo with stairs at: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/5-the-court-straffan-wood-maynooth-co-kildare/4124480

Cilar wrote: »
    These would be private stairs inside the building. People would maintain them as the only users.

External stairs at Straffan Wood look absolutely run down, gray/blackish, with clear mark of damp going down. It's a complete eyesore. Damp is the issue, not car pollution.

Photo with stairs at: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/5-the-court-straffan-wood-maynooth-co-kildare/4124480

People wouldn't maintain them unless compelled to. Ever been in an older private flat block in Scotland? Their freehold system means the common areas are notionally owned by nobody and are generally lit by council street lighting (ugly, huge, crude and stark) and never cleaned. Individual internal stairs to each duplex would be massively wasteful; the externals will be serving 2 or 4 each

That is air pollution staining, so yes it's vehicle emissions mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Minimum 10%; not heard anything about KCC buying more than that. KCC are going to build a new estate in the town in the next while anyway.

So in the 22nd century then? ;)

They've bought the site and there's central funding available so it shouldn't be that long. Only about 20 years since the last phase of Old Greenfield!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Petedakota

Hi all, anyone here have any idea why so many houses in Leinster wood are up for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Petedakota wrote: »
    Hi all, anyone here have any idea why so many houses in Leinster wood are up for sale?

Possibly because they are probably fetching good prices for the current owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I think a lot were purchased in 2010. Bottom of market. Also a number of sites sold relatively cheap by NAMA at one stage.

Also think the advice is to get basement checked out in a professional survey. Not common in Ireland and to make sure constructed correctly. Dampness wise.

I've limited knowledge. Going by memory from 5/6 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Does anyone know what is happening at all with these four things indicated in the Maynooth LAP? I see more and more identikit housing estates, and little investment in the urban core with no attempt to extend it.

1) Conversion of town square into a more quality public realm space. At present it is a wind-blown space with a pointless old facade and a few other public works that clutter the space.

2) Development of the Harbour area behind Parson's Road and Newman Place (South from The Roost to the footbridge) into a new mixed use space (apartments, family homes, some retail), with plaza and new roads.

3) The building at the corner behind the Garda Station, Buckley House. A fine listed Georgian building, for which I know there were once plans for a restaurant, and now there are signs for an auction. http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=KD&regno=11803050

4) The development of Kelly's Lane and others to be quality public spaces, rather than the back alleys they currently are with low quality surfaces, no pedestrianisation, and discontinous facades.

Some movement on the Square will happen next year, most likely. That's not a facade, its a sculpture...

There has been some movement on the Harbour but a lot of what you're mentioning there would be developer-led

Buckleys House has permission for student accomodation and retail running around to Leinster Street. One thing to note is that the shell is Georgian but the interior/roof/etc are 1920s/30s as the house was torched by Buckley himself during the War of Independence or Civil War (would have to check the book on him to confirm which). This is likely to be built when sold, or modified slightly at least.

The 'relief street' through the Cairn development will extend the urban core somewhat; the fire access road across the Harbour Field has made a huge difference in that direction also. Whatever developer-led work is done to bring the road from Leinster Street through to Parson Street in the future will be the next step-change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Some movement on the Square will happen next year, most likely. That's not a facade, its a sculpture...

Whatever developer-led work is done to bring the road from Leinster Street through to Parson Street in the future will be the next step-change.

I mean the old doorway to the courthouse which once stood thereabouts, a bit like Brown's door on Eyre Square.

Do you know if developers will be obliged to create open public streets or might they just create gated student accomodation / private accomodation (like the one just before the bridge on Parson's Road). I see it as a great opportunity to build an attractive new streetscape if they get the form and materials right, but it depends on local gov input and developer evaluation of demand.

There is no old doorway - the entire thing in The Square is a 1995/6 or so sculpture. The Courthouse/Town Hall was completely demolished after the fire and a huge 1970s public toilets / sort-of bus station built which was demolished in the mid 1990s.

The Buckleys House one - no public streets. The Leinster Street to Parson Street one will have to be an public street as per the LAP and even the original plan for the Parson Street end (long expired if it ever got permission, I can't remember) had the stub of the street on it. The Cairn site requires its new street to be handed over before selling the houses and it is under construction already.

That housing estate wasn't actually gated originally but I think they got fed up of people crossing from the canal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

4) The development of Kelly's Lane and others to be quality public spaces, rather than the back alleys they currently are with low quality surfaces, no pedestrianisation, and discontinous facades.

I am looking forward to the pedestrianisation of these streets/alleys. Maybe it would make sense to allow access to commercial traffic/deliveries at certain times?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I am looking forward to the pedestrianisation of these streets/alleys. Maybe it would make sense to allow access to commercial traffic/deliveries at certain times?

What about the people that live there and have cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

lordgoat wrote:
    What about the people that live there and have cars?

I assume the access via Dunboyne Road to Pound Lane will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Pedestrianisation of these streets is a terrible idea and what benefit would it bring?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I assume the access via Dunboyne Road to Pound Lane will stay.

Access to pound lane is from main st only.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CA39

Hi There, just wondering if anyone bought in Limetree Hall in Maynooth and what your experience was like?

I'll update the main planning tracker here later - the tiny infill development on the Straffan Road has started, all of two houses but with excellent public transport options anyway!

• Advertisement

Developments under construction with units available:

Carton Wood (seems to be 4 and 5 bed only left)
    Moyglare Hall (very limited left)

Developments underway:
    Cairn Mariavilla (Moyglare Road to Dunboyne Road), 320 houses for sale, 26 apartments for rent, 483 student beds - to launch soon

Developments with planning:
    Former Pitch & Putt site, Dunboyne Road - 34 houses, mainly 4 bed
    Lands behind Lidl - 93 houses - this does not use the entire site, leaving an approved layout for about another 75 that may need minor planning changes in the future
    Leinster Street - 117 student beds. A commencement notice was sent in in June 2018 but the site has since gone up for sale.

I would expect a new application for the site beside the RC church again soon (refused in September for various reasons) and probably application(s) for lands along the new ring road this year.

Advertisement