Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

If only we could create a special code that would identify each individual house in Ireland!

Sorry, just dreaming out loud. It will never happen.

Like this one for example? W23 Y7CF

16 THE DOWNS
    MOYGLARE ABBEY
    MAYNOOTH
    NAAS
    CO. KILDARE

The house is in Moyglare Hall, not Moyglare Abbey, and Maynooth isn't in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

Is it true that crèche places & school places can be difficult to get in Maynooth? I don’t live in the area at the moment. Is 12months notice the norm for booking a primary school place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lalalaland

citylad74 wrote: »
    Is it true that crèche places & school places can be difficult to get in Maynooth? I don’t live in the area at the moment. Is 12months notice the norm for booking a primary school place?

There’s 5 primary schools in Maynooth:

Girls Presentation School: Catholic girls school. Enrolment opens year before, no issues getting a place. At the end of Main st where Carton Ave is

Boys School: Catholic boys school. Same situation as the girls school. At the bottom of the Moyglare Road opposite the church

Educate Together: Mixed school, long waiting list, many people put names down at birth. They’ve just increased to taking two streams and will be in a new building soon but still everyone who puts name down doesn’t get a place. On the Celbridge Road

Gaelscoil Ui Fhiach: Catholic mixed school, long waiting list - name needs to be down from birth pretty much as well. Across the road from the ET

Gaelscoil Ruairi: Only opened this year. Multidenominational mixed school. Currently has no premises and operating out of the library at the other Gaelscoil but will be located on the Moyglare Road. Currently only has junior infants and were campaigning for more students to get an extra teacher. Lots of parents holding off due to uncertainty this summer over the premises

Creche places are ridiculous. No crèches take babies under one. There are two crèches in the town - Kinder Crescent on the Straffan Road and Maynooth Day Nursery in Parklands. Both are small and have long waiting lists. There’s lots of places for sessional playschool hours but the only other creche is in the college for people working or studying there

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

citylad74 wrote: »

Yeah, creches are next to impossible to get in Maynooth, but there are options in Leixlip and Celbridge.
    For primary it depends on the primary school. I've had my two registered in Educate Together since birth, but other schools only accept applications in February for September starts, so it depends on what school you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

Thks for the info lalalaland & Silane��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lalalaland wrote: »
    Creche places are ridiculous. No crèches take babies under one. There are two crèches in the town - Kinder Crescent on the Straffan Road and Maynooth Day Nursery in Parklands. Both are small and have long waiting lists. There’s lots of places for sessional playschool hours but the only other creche is in the college for people working or studying there

Is there not a creche in Carton Square too?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

lalalaland wrote: »
    There’s 5 primary schools in Maynooth:

Educate Together: Mixed school, long waiting list, many people put names down at birth. They’ve just increased to taking two streams and will be in a new building soon but still everyone who puts name down doesn’t get a place. On the Celbridge Road

I think this years intake was actually under-subscribed in the end. Also there is no sibling policy although I believe that is going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think this years intake was actually under-subscribed in the end. Also there is no sibling policy although I believe that is going to change.

I’m not sure if it was as I’ve a friend whose son was on the list and wasn’t offered a place, he ended up going to the one in Celbridge. Their enrolment policy is changing for 2024 apparently but they don’t know yet what to as the decisions will be made centrally

Tiddlywinks & Scallywags - sessional montessori/playschool only they don’t do full day care

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Nope, it is a pre-school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,800 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seems to be permission in for 9 houses on the derelict site at the mouth of Parklands/Castlebridge (the old Leavy yard & Hitchhikers International hostel or whatever it was called but that's going back 20 years and more); or at least that is what I am assuming from the location description on the planning site. File isn't in yet.

If its not there; it's presumably somewhere way down Old Railpark beyond the end of Parklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

L1011 wrote: »
    Seems to be permission in for 9 houses on the derelict site at the mouth of Parklands/Castlebridge (the old Leavy yard & Hitchhikers International hostel or whatever it was called but that's going back 20 years and more); or at least that is what I am assuming from the location description on the planning site. File isn't in yet.

If its not there; it's presumably somewhere way down Old Railpark beyond the end of Parklands.

I believe its down the fair end of old railpark. Parklands residents not happy.

The site you refer to has been derelict for 30+ years i woud say.

If if it's the other end - what precisely did they expect? Look at Celbridge, every large one off on the Maynooth Road is getting turned in to a mini estate.

I'd prefer much higher density on the Leavy site - apartments, multi storey as it's below the road - so probably just as well.

If if it's the other end - what precisely did they expect? Look at Celbridge, every large one off on the Maynooth Road is getting turned in to a mini estate.

I'd prefer much higher density on the Leavy site - apartments, multi storey as it's below the road - so probably just as well.

I think they should stop building until a meaningful traffic management solution is put in place. The town, from the business park to Laraghbryan and up to Moyglare hall is a ****show for 11 hours a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I heard that the closure of Parsons street has been postponed. Can anyone confirm?

TheBody wrote: »
    I heard that the closure of Parsons street has been postponed. Can anyone confirm?

Yes confirmed by local councillors on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Yes confirmed by local councillors on Facebook
    till when? any link to the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

The road that runs from Moyglare Stud to Carton House, a frequent one I use to bypass the town is down to be closed from mid-term week 28th to 1st to repair a bridge on it

27 minutes to get from circle k to bank of ireland main street. Sure lets lash another 1500 houses in.

• Advertisement

Because the town has the train service - as overcapacity as it is - road capacity issues will be mostly ignored in planning applications.

There may be a few more trains in 2021 and a few more buses before then but we aren't getting anything else. There is a very vague chance the orbital bus route to Tallaght could come on early in a phased release of BusConnects but I wouldn't rely on it.

A huge parking enforcement push around the schools might make a few parents stop giving in to their kids demands and help with school time traffic; but there are also still infrastructural issues in walking/cycling such as a two foot wide footpath opposite Maxol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

also dosnt help that theirs what 10 sets of lights between the junction a lidl and the main street not to mention how poor of a sequence that they are in.

Because the town has the train service - as overcapacity as it is - road capacity issues will be mostly ignored in planning applications.

There may be a few more trains in 2021 and a few more buses before then but we aren't getting anything else. There is a very vague chance the orbital bus route to Tallaght could come on early in a phased release of BusConnects but I wouldn't rely on it.

A huge parking enforcement push around the schools might make a few parents stop giving in to their kids demands and help with school time traffic; but there are also still infrastructural issues in walking/cycling such as a two foot wide footpath opposite Maxol.

But you cant get a train from circle K to the main street though.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    also dosnt help that theirs what 10 sets of lights between the junction a lidl and the main street not to mention how poor of a sequence that they are in.

There was no need for lights at the meadowbrook link road. The traffic moved better without them. Also the island they placed at the glenroyal leading into the main street hasnt helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Why are you driving through Maynooth though?

People driving to/from Maynooth from/to somewhere else are the main cause of traffic in the town; followed by schoolkids being dropped off. Public transport capacity and not mollycoddling kids will assist greatly.

People driving to/from Maynooth from/to somewhere else are the main cause of traffic in the town; followed by schoolkids being dropped off. Public transport capacity and not mollycoddling kids will assist greatly.

That would help. Also students not driving would be a great help too. Nearly every students house you see now has 2 or 3 cars outside it. This is the main issue. Generally people arent dropping or collecting kids at 10am and 6 pm.

What trip are you making yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'd have to agree the college generates a huge amount of traffic but the schools seem to get all the bad rep for it, anyone know how many parking spaces there are on both campuses?

Also has anyone ever seen a Guard directing traffic in Maynooth and who's monitoring the traffic cameras??

• Advertisement

What trip are you making yourself?

Straffan road to Gaa club.

Advertisement