Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

You've no need to drive through Maynooth to get there it's a 10mins cycle or 14min drive going the backroads our poor mans ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 68,800 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Straffan road to Gaa club.

As walkable as the trips you're expecting students to walk then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

L1011 wrote: »
    As walkable as the trips you're expecting students to walk then!

Yeh. With a bag of balls. Sets of cones and water bottles and bibs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

tnegun wrote: »
    You've no need to drive through Maynooth to get there it's a 10mins cycle or 14min drive going the backroads our poor mans ring road

That's my point. A proper relief / ring road is needed before they add anymore houses.

Anyway these ring roads are becoming ever more redundant thanks to the lights they are putting in all over the town. When they eventually open the new houses this routes will be even more non viable. What way do we go then? Up Kellystown lane and back down by Carton? That's not a solution.

There is some hope for whenever the ringroad is completed it will allow a more direct routing but its pedestrians, bikes and buses that should take priority. I saw someone post a picture on one of the groups the other day from their car complaining that a bus stopping to load passengers was causing the traffic! I get their point that the stop was poorly designed but it was completely lost on this person that they were the traffic and without the bus those passengers would likely be traffic too!

Also from Page 9 on this report almost 40% of all trips in Maynooth are local e.g. originate and terminate in Maynooth!!! That is completely unsustainable.

To answer my own question re the parking spaces in the college I emailed them and North and South combined have 1871 with 250 overflow between both GAA grounds.

Edit.
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet but Meath Co Co are closing this road for a week and that will certainly make things interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

At the moment Maynooth isn't a particularly pleasant place to walk. For example, walking down the Moyglare road with a buggy, you'll have huge rigid trucks flying by extremely close to pedestrians, you'll probably have to cross the road multiple times due to path closures. Its not particularly safe, it's extremely noisy and the air is full of diesel fumes from all the trucks. Then you get to the church and there's often some numpty parked on the path so you have to walk on the road with a buggy right beside a busy junction.
    The builder in Moyglare hall refuses to open the pedestrian entrance close to the town, which adds 1.6km to the walk into town for people living in there, so even if they wanted to walk, which many people in there do, it's not really practical with young kids. So most people in there have to drive despite being right beside the town.

Its good that the paths and road are being upgraded, buts kind if a catch 22, that the one time you really need less traffic on that road the road works are causing more people to drive. I'm sure a lot of the other roads around Maynooth have the exact same issue with all the construction.

The Moyglare road issues should be fairly short lived in the scheme of things it was never a great road to walk along and now has the potential to be great once finished. The utter disgrace the road is right now, the fact KCC allowed builder(s) in Moyglare Hall run rings around them with their planning and the number of delays with the ring road shows the competence of KCC.

In any case driving the back roads to from Moyglare Hall to Tesco and walking from there should be straight forward enough, I don't get everyones need to drive through the middle of Maynooth for every journey, you have a car take the longer and often quicker route.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

27 minutes to get from circle k to bank of ireland main street. Sure lets lash another 1500 houses in.

You should have parked at LIDL!
    L1011 wrote: »

A huge parking enforcement push around the schools might make a few parents stop giving in to their kids demands and help with school time traffic; but there are also still infrastructural issues in walking/cycling such as a two foot wide footpath opposite Maxol.

TBH I'd have no problem with banning most parking at schools (obviously not for all) and even the college. Would be worth also asking the college to keep spaces in the college for students that need to travel. Unsure how feasible this is to carry out.

I live in the town are rarely drive through the village, will combine shopping trips with the work commute and walk to pub/restaurant etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

tnegun wrote: »
    The Moyglare road issues should be fairly short lived in the scheme of things it was never a great road to walk along and now has the potential to be great once finished. The utter disgrace the road is right now, the fact KCC allowed builder(s) in Moyglare Hall run rings around them with their planning and the number of delays with the ring road shows the competence of

Just to be clear here, from living in Moyglare Hall, the builders in Moyglare Hall have little now to do with the ring road. The issue was that it crossed in to County Meath, a local land owner raised a legal challenge against it, which Meath CoCo didn't really care about and it all dragged on. Builder in Moyglare Hall said all they could and paid extra to allow further development but right now it's all held up in legal red tape.

However the 2nd entrance to Moyglare Hall- originally pedestrian and cycle only, now motor traffic as well due to Kildare coco - has been delayed and delayed for little reason and pee's us off as it makes the walk to town so much longer.

What are you clearing up? I never said the builder delayed the ring road. KCC did allow Mycete buy their way out of the planning condition requring them to complete their section the ring road to the county border though so that could be considered a delay. The judical review delays are a joke and rumoured to be down to a well connected senior council living in the area but who knows 3 years and counting on that one.

Also regarding the second entrance and KCC requiring it be changed is another mistruth being circulated. The builder was rejected planning permission in 2014 for several reasons including over development of some areas of the estate, a lack of open spaces, DMURS compliance etc. When they re submitted they included a proposal to convert the pedestrian entrance to a full vehicular entrance, comissioned traffic surveys and submitted those too in support of the conversion and KCC granted it.

So while the builder might like to tell everyone KKC made me do it they did not it was the builder that requested it but KCC did allow it without any proper conditions.Which leads us to the current situation where the builder is saying KCC won't let him open it again not true and he's also saying its an insurance issue probably also not true. The real reason I suspect is that once open it must be handed to KCC and he doesn't want to loose control of it until the estate, creche and all is finished.

• Advertisement

In response to a query by Durkan in the Dail yesterday, it was claimed that SHD planning for 800 more units is to go in by November. This would be the new estates to be accessed from the ring road.

I head him in the Dail did he not even read his statement before trying to deliver it he was all over the place with it! Are those houses for the section to be build beside Tesco to the Celbridge road?

Yes, they're likely to be where the withdrawn application was a few years ago, on the town side of that section of ringroad

I believe its down the fair end of old railpark. Parklands residents not happy.

The site you refer to has been derelict for 30+ years i woud say.

Docs are up - file 191110

Its neither the Leahy site nor the far end

Its a weird knife-shaped (look at the planning docs, you'll see what I mean) site beside the doctors surgery and continuing in to a gap between Rail Park and Parklands.

Its a very dense use of the space there, and away from the Straffan Road I don't think you'd get the height I think the sites against the road could take.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

presumably the red, or possibly blue area here?

9f3DfTz.jpg

presumably the red, or possibly blue area here?

9f3DfTz.jpg

Both, the house in the middle is going

One of the houses in Old Greenfield with an undeveloped garden has planning in now for five additional houses.

All small schemes but they add up.

Bad news for anyone hoping to buy in Maynooth, supply just got a lot smaller

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1128/1095665-cairn-homes-maynooth-and-clonburris-deal/

Supply under construction and for direct sale is still quite sizeable, though. Lyreen Lodge just launched (and the houses are ready to go), Mullen Park has houses basically finished but not launched either. ~800 units to go in for planning shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

I believe these are mostly apartments down by the Moyglare Road as that article reports.I know they launched a bunch a few months back which were across the bridge.

Does anyone know the timeline for the development of the strip of land closest to the Dunboyne road in that Mariavilla development?
    Patser wrote: »
    Bad news for anyone hoping to buy in Maynooth, supply just got a lot smaller

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1128/1095665-cairn-homes-maynooth-and-clonburris-deal/

• Advertisement

citylad74 wrote: »
    I believe these are mostly apartments down by the Moyglare Road as that article reports.I know they launched a bunch a few months back which were across the bridge.

Does anyone know the timeline for the development of the strip of land closest to the Dunboyne road in that Mariavilla development?

That strip is mostly apparentments too, and houses right onto road. I'd say Cairns are avoiding any building there until rest of development sold, as they have the entrance from Dunboyne road looking lovely now, not crowded with apartments.

Even if you look at the brochures for the development, all those apartments are subtly greyed out as if completely separate to the main phases they are selling now.

I asked the selling agents about those ‘’greyed out’ units close to Dunboyne road a while back & they indicated they would most likely be the last ones to be built, probably in 2021 perhaps. It was all a bit uncertain though & they were very much dependent on the builders intentions.I guess with 150 units sold in 1 block now, that moves things on a bit on the sales side.
    Patser wrote: »
    That strip is mostly apparentments too, and houses right onto road. I'd say Cairns are avoiding any building there until rest of development sold, as they have the entrance from Dunboyne road looking lovely now, not crowded with apartments.

Even if you look at the brochures for the development, all those apartments are subtly greyed out as if completely separate to the main phases they are selling now.

Lyreen Lodge show houses open for viewing today at 11.30. If anyone makes it along, let us know your thoughts. The houses look well but are built quite low, kind of below the road level if I’m making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mandser

Does anyone know anything about Mullen Park apart from the info that's on the planning? Bit strange that some of the units appear to be fully built but there's absolutely nothing online about them. Builder doesn't even have a website

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Mandser wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about Mullen Park apart from the info that's on the planning? Bit strange that some of the units appear to be fully built but there's absolutely nothing online about them. Builder doesn't even have a website

Makes you wonder if they going to be flogged off to some cuckoo fund to be rented out at exorbitant rates

Launch in January is what I've heard. This is a very bad time of year to expect anyone to turn up at at a launch weekend

The REITs do not generally buy houses - of course, one just has in Mariavilla, but that was an addendum to apartments/duplexes which is what they usually want.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mandser

Totally agree, January is not the time to launch new houses. It's just very odd, there's no hype at all. We've been keeping an eye on other developments nearby and all have initial websites set up to draw some attention. The last couple of times we have been to see the site, there aren't even any notices with the builders name etc

I more meant December as being even worse! But January is still bad.

January has an odd boost from the new years worth of mortgage exemptions starting to become available but for those who aren't looking for one it's a hard time to get them out to view.

https://www.thelyreenviewapartments.com/

Re-application for the old quarry beside the RC church, previous application rejected for multiple reasons but primarily flooding as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

KCC finally moving a bit on their site for new-build social housing

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/499522/progress-on-maynooth-social-housing-plan.html

Advertisement