Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

L1011 wrote: »
    KCC finally moving a bit on their site for new-build social housing

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/499522/progress-on-maynooth-social-housing-plan.html

Thank god for that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

KCC finally moving a bit on their site for new-build social housing

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/499522/progress-on-maynooth-social-housing-plan.html

Got an alert telling me i had won millions after clicking that link. Either the Comer brothera are giving it away or avoid clicking link.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ad service likely compromised as I don't get it, but have various blockers on.

Its the site between Kingsbry and Old Greenfield, had permission for 50 units in the past. Site investigations going on.

Ad service likely compromised as I don't get it, but have various blockers on.

Its the site between Kingsbry and Old Greenfield, had permission for 50 units in the past. Site investigations going on.

Any affordable or are they just free ones?

They'll be social housing. There is no such thing as a "free house", differential rent is charged on all social housing.

• Advertisement

They'll be social housing. There is no such thing as a "free house", differential rent is charged on all social housing.

Ah yeh. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Mariavilla signage is down on the Moyglare road now. It's been replaced by Urbeo signage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Anyone know what/where this is referring to?

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1205086853457682432

Assuming its the site behind the church (can see a spire in the background) but hard to picture how its laid out from that render

Assuming its the site behind the church (can see a spire in the background) but hard to picture how its laid out from that render

Any traffic management been considered? The moyglare road is a joke anyway without this.

The big section of Mariavilla that was bought for rental is now up for rent as "U Maynooth"

Prices:
    Apartments 1850
    3 bed 2000/2100 (can't see the reason for the difference)
    4 bed 2400

Absolute insanity but they'll probably have no trouble getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The big section of Mariavilla that was bought for rental is now up for rent as "U Maynooth"

Prices:
    Apartments 1850
    4 bed 2400

That is mental!

Did the sums there and effectively I would find it rather hard to live in Maynooth on our combined incomes (two professionals) if renting now*; yet you can still buy a habitable 3 bed house in the town for ~270 which would be a grand a month over 25 years if you had the normal FTB deposit. Rent to purchase cost ratio is totally out of whack, could be one of the worst ratios going.

*there would be significant lifestyle changes required but it wouldn't be penury.

Prices:
    Apartments 1850
    4 bed 2400

The rental market in Maynooth is getting even more insane by the month.

1800 for a 3bed in Kingsbry? 1750 for a 2bed in Meadowbrook. Eyewatering stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Jeez I thought as someone raised to believe a traditional 3 bed semi d was more or less a certainty apartment dwelling was as grim as it could get for my kids but now it’s co-living !Terrifying times !

2011abc wrote: »
    Jeez I thought as someone raised to believe a traditional 3 bed semi d was more or less a certainty apartment dwelling was as grim as it could get for my kids but now it’s co-living !Terrifying times !

Renting for life id say. Thanks FG and the developers and tradesmen making crazy profits. Also a shout out to the Vuluture funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Is it not just opposite the boys school?

Its the quarry / empty site opposite Manor Mills

Here's the thing with these rents.

They will keep them at those rates even at 60/70% occupancy or whatever level their formula works out.

Why? Because if they drop rents, they have to revalue the asset. Same for all property funds.

Then you have others thinking that's the proper market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Petedakota

ixus wrote: »
    Here's the thing with these rents.

They will keep them at those rates even at 60/70% occupancy or whatever level their formula works out.

Why? Because if they drop rents, they have to revalue the asset. Same for all property funds.

Then you have others thinking that's the proper market rate.

They have fully let Carton Grove, Urbeo the crowd behind them.

I believe most to council/HAP schemes that dont pay full market rent.

So yes, you are correct, they are incentivised to advertise high rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Maynooth is in a RPZ and has high demand. It means landlords will set the rent high right from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

I see Cairn have sold 229 homes in the Shackleton/Gandon park developments in Lucan to a Wall Street investment vehicle for €78ml. They are private rental sector units. This follows on from a similar sale of Mariavilla units a while back. Is there any restrictions in planning or otherwise in the amount of units that should be put on sale to the general public? It doesn’t seem so as i have heard of entire developments being sold in this fashion in South Dublin.

There's no basis for such restrictions currently. I would be concerned that it might not be that easy to legislate for either but I'm not the Attorney General!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Petedakota

citylad74 wrote: »
    I see Cairn have sold 229 homes in the Shackleton/Gandon park developments in Lucan to a Wall Street investment vehicle for €78ml. They are private rental sector units. This follows on from a similar sale of Mariavilla units a while back. Is there any restrictions in planning or otherwise in the amount of units that should be put on sale to the general public? It doesn’t seem so as i have heard of entire developments being sold in this fashion in South Dublin.

No rules at all. Private development, nobody in charge cares who ultimately owns them.

Due to no social housing being built, a lot of these will be HAP tenancies or equivalent long term rentals paid for via council housing funds.

Basically public money enriching private funds.

Happening a lot, especially in Dublin, a luxury block of apartments in Dundrum wholly reserved for the local council recently and the cherrywood development too. Several others also.

Before anyone complains, this is FG policy, not to build social housing, to mix developments and let the private market sort out public housing. Maybe mention this to your FG canvassers when they come knocking.

Cant work in my eyes, people paying market prices living beside people in same houses getting it for free or heavily subsidised. Not too mention one have to get up early to work and pay for their houses and the others dont...

Welcome to Ireland 2020.

Recently heard that Cairn haven’t even applied for planning permission yet on the strip of land along the Dunboyne road, which is at the front of the Mariavilla site. Anybody know if this is true? I had heard it would be the last area developed on the site but it’s a little surprising. It’s actually marked out in grey with the units & play areas included in the Mariavilla brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Confusselled

citylad74 wrote: »
    Recently heard that Cairn haven’t even applied for planning permission yet on the strip of land along the Dunboyne road, which is at the front of the Mariavilla site. Anybody know if this is true? I had heard it would be the last area developed on the site but it’s a little surprising. It’s actually marked out in grey with the units & play areas included in the Mariavilla brochure.

Its definitely the last part of the site to be developed, as they have got the urbeo side nearly finished, and half the lyreen area done and the rest is being built now. Re planning permission for Dunboyne road side, its in the original master plan document https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a8d4b6512abd9cf907ff080/t/5aabc34c758d467bf885771d/1521206123431/16229+-+ABP+ResponseDocumentF02.pdf

Thanks for that info Confusselled. The doc gives a good picture of the development as a whole. The planned park, green areas & playground by the river look good. Right now though, that area is just a big deep valley down to the river. I wonder are the green areas going to be effectively on stepped areas down to the river? It should be quite nice if those green areas are delivered to a good standard. I see the Cairn website references a new release coming soon, so I guess there will be another bunch sold in Feb.

Separate point, the Times had this piece on Adamstown at the weekend. People who bought there have been royally screwed in terms of the promised services & Infrastructure.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/election-2020-in-commuterville-they-built-the-houses-and-left-the-people-in-a-vacuum-1.4156681

Mariaville looks aesthetically pleasing right now. A 4 storey apartment block at the edge of the road wouldn't exactly help. It's being held back until last for a reason.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ixus wrote: »
    Mariaville looks aesthetically pleasing right now. A 4 storey apartment block at the edge of the road wouldn't exactly help. It's being held back until last for a reason.

Held back until all houses are sold and then finish off the estate with a couple of apartment blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

Independent.ie: Comer Group's Maynooth apartment plan sunk by flooding concerns.

https://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/maynooth-apartment-plan-sunk-by-flooding-concerns-39112277.html

• Advertisement

That site is going to be exceptionally difficult to flood-proof and will realistically just impact further downstream anyway.

Advertisement