Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

In a similar position to you, interested in the last as yet undeveloped area of the Mariavilla site on the Dunboyne road at either side of that entrance. Doesn’t look like it will start this year at this point though with Covid delays etc.

Looking at the plans, there’s about 40 houses & 40 apt’s planned for that area by the Dunboyne road. The apartments I believe will be in 2 separate 4 level blocks on either side of the through road. To be honest, I’m getting worried there will be huge interest & likely increased prices for what will be the last 40 houses in the Mariavilla development. Would be interested to hear what people think about this line of thought?

Up to now, I didn’t really want to buy 1 of the 200+ houses currently being built towards the back of the estate as it’s a big volume of houses & it could be a bit of the jungle/maze feel in there. It might be what I end up doing though as it’s a bit risky perhaps to let it all hang on the last 40 houses by the Dunboyne road. Can we take it the houses in that area will be similar to what’s built already? I do
    think Mariavilla is quite nice & a better option than Mullen Park. Lyreen Lodge is off the scale in terms of prices from what I’ve seen.
    Hi All,

Newbie to the forum, I am looking at buying a house with my partner in Mariavilla (Dunboyne entrance).

I am wondering does anyone know when the estate is due to be finished in its entirety? Will there be a an entrance at the back of the estate for the other estates behind to gain access to the Dunboyne road? Has any of the units in this development been sold to the council or social housing bodies (I know a cuckoo fund purchased the phase on Moyglare Road).

I assume the green field to the right is not re-zoned land and will not be built on.

Many thanks for any help you can provide, I have posted on the Mariavilla thread but there might be more regular traffic on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

L1011 wrote: »
    The 1990s 4 beds in Meadowbrook also have no window in the bathroom; has an attic light that doesn't do much depending on the orientation of the house.

I lived in one in the 90's and all I remember are paper thin walls and damp in the winter.

It's a pity. I'm looking to buy in the next year or so and they're about all I could manage to afford in Maynooth. I've been living in maynooth since the 90's and at this rate I'm going to have to move farther afield.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of the houses in Meadowbrook are also exceptionally difficult to insure (due to former flooding claims - the issue is resolved but try telling an insurer that) and hence are vastly cheaper than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Grayson wrote: »
    I lived in one in the 90's and all I remember are paper thin walls and damp in the winter.

It's a pity. I'm looking to buy in the next year or so and they're about all I could manage to afford in Maynooth. I've been living in maynooth since the 90's and at this rate I'm going to have to move farther afield.

I think you will find a lot of people who are born and bred in Maynooth like myself had to move outta Maynooth to places like kilcock. 7km from my door in kilcock to my dads house in Maynooth. Same type house in Maynooth would cost me 100k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Packers2021

citylad74 wrote: »
    In a similar position to you, interested in the last as yet undeveloped area of the Mariavilla site on the Dunboyne road at either side of that entrance. Doesn’t look like it will start this year at this point though with Covid delays etc.

Looking at the plans, there’s about 40 houses & 40 apt’s planned for that area by the Dunboyne road. The apartments I believe will be in 2 separate 4 level blocks on either side of the through road. To be honest, I’m getting worried there will be huge interest & likely increased prices for what will be the last 40 houses in the Mariavilla development. Would be interested to hear what people think about this line of thought?

Up to now, I didn’t really want to buy 1 of the 200+ houses currently being built towards the back of the estate as it’s a big volume of houses & it could be a bit of the jungle/maze feel in there. It might be what I end up doing though as it’s a bit risky perhaps to let it all hang on the last 40 houses by the Dunboyne road. Can we take it the houses in that area will be similar to what’s built already? I do
    think Mariavilla is quite nice & a better option than Mullen Park. Lyreen Lodge is off the scale in terms of prices from what I’ve seen.

Hit the nail on head, new builds are going to be like Hens teeth if the demand keeps static due to the delay in building and potential for an exodus of people from Dublin with WFH.

• Advertisement

I would think provincial towns with SIRO and cheaper houses are going to be higher up the demand list for WFH Dublin escapees than very expensive towns that are virtually still in Dublin.

Maynooth prices have got such that a significant amount of people from Maynooth cannot afford to buy/rent there now - often from established middle income families at that. I'd not pay the current market value of my house for it; not a hope - I bought it during the bottom of the downturn and in barely liveable condition.

Could afford up to a new 4 bed, just, on a decent combined salary (with a deposit but without the superior equity in the current place - hypothetical situation) but for that money I'd want to live a lot closer to Dublin and indeed could do so.

I would think provincial towns with SIRO and cheaper houses are going to be higher up the demand list for WFH Dublin escapees than very expensive towns that are virtually still in Dublin.

Maynooth prices have got such that a significant amount of people from Maynooth cannot afford to buy/rent there now - often from established middle income families at that. I'd not pay the current market value of my house for it; not a hope - I bought it during the bottom of the downturn and in barely liveable condition.

Could afford up to a new 4 bed, just, on a decent combined salary (with a deposit but without the superior equity in the current place - hypothetical situation) but for that money I'd want to live a lot closer to Dublin and indeed could do so.

Would have loved you to say that maynooth was virtually in Dublin back when I was in school in maynooth PP. You would have been run outta Town bucko. Haha

Dublin Bus, Dublin commuter rail, Dublin phone code; its Dublin except for the white shirts on the GAA players when they play county (and in the old days we had 'country' cable TV when Leixlip had Cablelink; Leixlip also had Dublin Guards back then)

Dublin Bus, Dublin commuter rail, Dublin phone code; its Dublin except for the white shirts on the GAA players when they play county (and in the old days we had 'country' cable TV when Leixlip had Cablelink; Leixlip also had Dublin Guards back then)

Mate it was a joke. Im from Maynooth myself so maybe things were different in Leixlip. Worth noting Kilcock had Dublin bus once upon a time also and is in the Dublin commuter belt for the train. Its Kildare going by a map and I'm a kildare man. You won't strip that white jersey off my back anytime soon cause of a Dublin phone code haha

This looks like a pretty underhand move by Cairn. Throw in 350 apts on the Dunboyne road instead of the 40 houses & 40 apts as previously agreed. Heard all existing Mariavilla residents had to sign a doc saying they couldn’t raise planning objections, but that’s only what I heard on grapevine. An extra 270 units would be a huge change to the development.

https://kfmradio.com/news/05112020-0814/bord-plean%C3%A1la-adjudicating-proposal-349-new-homes-maynooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Heard all existing Mariavilla residents had to sign a doc saying they couldn’t raise planning objections

You can't sign away your rights in Ireland under any circumstances, so even if they did, it's not going to prevent them from objecting.

Its more than "looks like". I suspect those no object clauses are not legal but I wouldn't want to be the one to find out; but it will be facile to get objections sent in by someone else for you anyway.

Location is as good as you're going to get for that density, however - all of Maynooth has awful road access, its closest to the bus and rail services and so on.

This looks like a pretty underhand move by Cairn. Throw in 350 apts on the Dunboyne road instead of the 40 houses & 40 apts as previously agreed. Heard all existing Mariavilla residents had to sign a doc saying they couldn’t raise planning objections, but that’s only what I heard on grapevine. An extra 270 units would be a huge change to the development.

I saw this, we are considering this development but I don't know what to make of it now. Is the infrastructure there to cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

How many apartments sit above manor mills? I’m assuming 350 apartments would mean several multi story blocks 4 or 5 stories each? Seems like a massive number?!

Pete123456 wrote: »
    How many apartments sit above manor mills? I’m assuming 350 apartments would mean several multi story blocks 4 or 5 stories each? Seems like a massive number?!

Huge !!, they won't get that number I imagine but it is a significant change to the overall plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭del roy

The houses are not furnished, nor are they for free.

The majority of social housing tenants work.

You really do not have even basic knowledge of what you're talking about.

If they are coming from rented accommodation they will get all the whites free from local commumity welfare office officer,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/exceptional-needs-payments-soar-by-close-to-70-1.4144647

2016, much higher now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

https://kfmradio.com/news/05112020-0814/bord-plean%C3%A1la-adjudicating-proposal-349-new-homes-maynooth

This was up on Facebook with plenty of comments.
    Cairn Homes who previously got planning permission for 40 apartments and 41 houses on their site at the front of Mariavilla on Dunboyne Road have now done a bait and switch and applied to change this zone into 349 apartments instead. A lot of people objected to just the 40 apartments, so 349 is a big change and will really alter the character of the area.
    Those of us living in the houses in Mariavilla were compelled to sign a contract to say we would not object to any planning applications made by Cairn on these lands so we can’t object or make observations.
    Might be of interest to some folks in the local area who might have strong feelings on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Its more than "looks like". I suspect those no object clauses are not legal but I wouldn't want to be the one to find out;

Subject to the same clauses in our recent house purchase, but the entire estate still objected (collectively and individually) when the developer applied for PP to replace 7 houses with 32 apartments. There's been no consequences so far, though PP application is still in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Is that Westfield? Looks like the PP decision is due 22/11/2022 but they've already started on construction?

Has anyone taken a look at Lyreen Lodge, a really small development of 34 houses with a big "proposed" park in the estate.

Certainly, a premium price but the finish does look very good and a block build as opposed to a timber frame which is unusual for new builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Has anyone taken a look at Lyreen Lodge, a really small development of 34 houses with a big "proposed" park in the estate.

Certainly, a premium price but the finish does look very good and a block build as opposed to a timber frame which is unusual for new builds.

We’ve looked but they’re very expensive for what they are I think...

Pete123456 wrote: »
    We’ve looked but they’re very expensive for what they are I think...

Yeah it certainly is expensive and out of budget by far for most!! the bonus is that literally is in the town I guess and may hold the majority of its value into the future given the large landscaped green area. I guess that is what the Estate Agent would say.

The Mariavilla 4 bed's half of them are empty I remember before lockdown, they don't seem to be shifting them at all. Even the ones at the front if I remember correctly there were 6 not sold. I guess people are worried about the apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308507.htm

Decision by 6th of Jan seems very quick. Doesn't allow a lot of time for reviews/submissions.

Are updated site drawings usually uploaded with these sort of changes ?

Kildare County Council

349 no. apartments replacing the permitted 81 no. dwellings relating to the Dunboyne Road permitted under ABP-301230-18 and associated site works.

Case reference: PL09 .308507

Case type: Strategic Housing Development - Consultation

EIS: Yes

NIS: Yes

Parties
    Cairn Homes Properties Ltd (Applicant)
    Cairn Homes Properties Ltd (Prospective Applicant) (Active)
    History
    27/10/2020: Lodged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/308507.htm

Decision by 6th of Jan seems very quick. Doesn't allow a lot of time for reviews/submissions.

Are updated site drawings usually uploaded with these sort of changes ?

Kildare County Council

349 no. apartments replacing the permitted 81 no. dwellings relating to the Dunboyne Road permitted under ABP-301230-18 and associated site works.

Case reference: PL09 .308507

Case type: Strategic Housing Development - Consultation

EIS: Yes

NIS: Yes

Parties
    Cairn Homes Properties Ltd (Applicant)
    Cairn Homes Properties Ltd (Prospective Applicant) (Active)
    History
    27/10/2020: Lodged

Contact the local TDs would be my suggestion.

Documents should appear on the KCC planning website but may be extremely awkward to find due to lack of a file number. There should also be a public website from Cairn for them which I cannot yet find, that will have the documents up until the January date.

Going on the last one, they will not make the docs easy to find nor keep them online a second longer than needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Had a look, wasn't impressed with the finish on the show house (tiles on the bit at the back looked like they were thrown up there, and flashing was badly done), also they are taking forever to finish. The only advantage for us would be a shorter walk to the train station.

Am familiar with it as I was keeping a close eye on Mariavilla - I thought the prices were a step too far to be honest. Visually I thought the houses weren’t as attractive as Mariavilla either & many have this white ‘goalpost’ by the front door which I don’t like. On paper, a smaller estate close to town does make sense though.

Naoise O’Cearuil organising a Zoom call on Tuesday at 7 on the proposed Mariavilla apartments- details over on the FB Maynooth notice boards.
    OwlsZat wrote: »
    Contact the local TDs would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Has anyone taken a look at Lyreen Lodge...
    We've a deposit down on one of them, so obviously I disagree with all the comments above :pac:

If you had any particular questions ask away, or feel free to drop me a PM. Not that I know much more than anyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 EJC4711

We’ve signed contracts on Lyreen Lodge.
    We were over there yesterday. The major delay on the houses at the back was a pipe had to be moved by Irish Water and that has now been done. Foundations are now in for the houses at the back.
    People were moving into the houses at the front over the past couple of days.

Advertisement