Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

L1011 wrote: »
    Parson Street vehicular, canal Greenway pedestrian / cycle

Can't make assumptions that the fire station is going anywhere even though the funding is in place to move it down by Circle K

It would make sense to move the fire station to a more out of town location, maybe even down beside the business park, and free up the land for housing beside what will (hopefully) become a DART station.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AnswerIs42

ECEng wrote: »
    Almost 100 houses have gone to tuath, so you might be waiting a while. See for yourself in the Social Housing Construction Status Report Q3 2020, it's a spreadsheet.

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/d9e58b11-8ee5-45cb-b4d8-cf0add63f2e9/resource/36b1a3ea-b3b9-47d7-921a-6f72f62ec3b7

I thought there was only ~200 units going in there. Seems strange half would go to tuath. Can anyway confirm how big that estate is suppose to be when all phases are done?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It would make sense to move the fire station to a more out of town location, maybe even down beside the business park, and free up the land for housing beside what will (hopefully) become a DART station.

Its going to the parcel of land between Carton Court and Circle K; funding has been announced.
    AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    I thought there was only ~200 units going in there. Seems strange half would go to tuath. Can anyway confirm how big that estate is suppose to be when all phases are done?

Original planning was for 210, I think it was modified slightly.

Leavy site sales ad says there are indicative schemes of 14 or 20 units on it that sound like possibly only three storeys.

If someone bought this, the other site for sale (the one with permission for 9 houses) and made a strong offer to move the doctors surgery there'd be a much more useful shape of site.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Original planning was for 210, I think it was modified slightly.

That really is shocking. Not sure how individual or couple are suppose to compete with organisations buying half the units straight of the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

In respect of Mullen Park, did the virtual viewing a few weeks ago i.e watched a YouTube video with a bored Sherry Fitz agent in the background. Couldnt go ahead as really wanted to physically see the house which obviously was not possible even after the dramatic video.

However never got the impression that nearly 100 homes would be handed over to a housing association, had in the back of my head though that a poster on here had mentioned a potential large social housing element so that was another factor in not going ahead.

Im almost coming to the conclusion its best to buy a new development in the final phase so you dont end up with an apartment block in front of your house instead of what was 'planned' or find yourself the only one with a mortgage in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

In respect of Mullen Park, did the virtual viewing a few weeks ago i.e watched a YouTube video with a bored Sherry Fitz agent in the background. Couldnt go ahead as really wanted to physically see the house which obviously was not possible even after the dramatic video.

However never got the impression that nearly 100 homes would be handed over to a housing association, had in the back of my head though that a poster on here had mentioned a potential large social housing element so that was another factor in not going ahead.

Im almost coming to the conclusion its best to buy a new development in the final phase so you dont end up with an apartment block in front of your house instead of what was 'planned' or find yourself the only one with a mortgage in the development.

PURE SNOBBERY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

People can be very picky over which houses they want when they have to borrow a couple of hundred thousand euro and be on the hook to pay for them for the next 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

PURE SNOBBERY

Disagree but we all have different expectations in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

People can be very picky over which houses they want when they have to borrow a couple of hundred thousand euro and be on the hook to pay for them for the next 30 years.

I have a house worth close to 500k and I have tenants from cluid as neighbours. No issues and no worries. Most of them young families and working. Can't see why anyone would be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

PURE SNOBBERY

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

PURE SNOBBERY

oh please. We're not buying this "integration" malarky that's been forced down our throats. Perfectly reasonable not to want to live within a mile (or more) of the welfare class.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

oh please. We're not buying this "integration" malarky that's been forced down our throats. Perfectly reasonable not to want to live within a mile (or more) of the welfare class.

Exactly. Same reason that I'd be thankful to not have snobby assholes for neighbours as well.

Could you tell me where I'd find this list?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TragicJohnson

lordgoat wrote: »
    Exactly. Same reason that I'd be thankful to not have snobby assholes for neighbours as well.

Could you tell me where I'd find this list?

It is astonishing that some people would begrudge others the right to buy their own home in an estate where all the other residents have also bought their homes.

No such new estate of any scale is ever going to exist again.

<10 units it is possible but absolutely not guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 36,303 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ECEng wrote: »
    Almost 100 houses have gone to tuath, so you might be waiting a while. See for yourself in the Social Housing Construction Status Report Q3 2020, it's a spreadsheet.

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/d9e58b11-8ee5-45cb-b4d8-cf0add63f2e9/resource/36b1a3ea-b3b9-47d7-921a-6f72f62ec3b7

The Q4 report updated this schedule for Mullen Park:

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/social-housing-construction-status-report-q4-2020

phase one: 2 houses
    phase two: 25
    phase three: 20

So those buying phase one are buying into a 90: 10 split of private / social.

Future phases having a higher ratio of social housing via a body like Tuath wouldn't worry me in all honesty. And people need to understand that ratios of social housing will be higher over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The Leavy site is going up for auction. There is no existing planning on the site - the permission for terraces houses has long expired - and the old house is not listed despite some local notion that it is.

I'd expect an apartment block to be proposed here as the 'house' behind it is a medical centre so it doesn't overlook anything unless it goes really tall. It's also below the main road so that would hide a storey in height

Is that the house lower level than the road in behind the wall?

Yes, the one that was set on fire last year.

It's not listed even though all the local Facebook groups think so!

Yes, the one that was set on fire last year.

It's not listed even though all the local Facebook groups think so!

I saw a post about that house! Someone said it was up for sale and said they hope it's not due to the pandemic and should a gofundme be set up to give money to the owners. I couldn't believe it. :pac:

So many nimbys in the local facebook pages.

Any planning application is met with complaints about traffic. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

The normal time traffic in the town is probably the worst of any town of its size, but it is extensively down to the same people driving their darlings to school in SUVs. Also the town has kilometres of cycle lanes that don't actually join up, which doesn't help.

The rectory lands development has a very legitimate access problem argument though - the sole road access proposed is via Parson Street which is one and a half lanes wide really; and was proposed to be made one-way last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The normal time traffic in the town is probably the worst of any town of its size, but it is extensively down to the same people driving their darlings to school in SUVs. Also the town has kilometres of cycle lanes that don't actually join up, which doesn't help.

The rectory lands development has a very legitimate access problem argument though - the sole road access proposed is via Parson Street which is one and a half lanes wide really; and was proposed to be made one-way last year.

Yeah you really feel the squeeze if you meet another car there - it’s a shame that road can’t be widened... the parking spaces along there really don’t help either

They are unlikely to box in the stream, they can't touch the college wall and they really need to get a two way cycle lane through there to connect to the existing lanes on the bridge (which themselves need to be connected to those on the Newtown/Rathcoffey Road, which themselves both need to be modernised as they are to 1990s 'standards'...) so the only realistic result is making it one-way.

There was an older proposal to knock some of the houses on Parson Street for a new road over through the fire station which could allow the remaining bit to be made one way or even closed to cars, but this is still an issue then and likely very hard to deal with as boundary walls on protected buildings are always an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DonegalGal1984

Hiya boards-folk! Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong place - only new on the boards scene and I think like everyone, trying to learn as much as I can about the area for buying a home. Everyone raves about Maynooth from their college days!

Over last while myself and my parter have been looking at Maynooth (& surrounding area) for a new house. There are a whole bunch of beautiful developments and I'd love if anyone has any extra info or insight, do please share!

Mariavilla - beautiful estate. Coonan seem to have a good few 4 beds left and in last few days, has a larger 3 storey 4 bed left at 510 up from 480 (price last year) due to cancelations etc. Finish is amazing, they include appliances which takes sting out of moving in and the estate agent has been really responsive and helpful.

Mullen Park - Big estate that seemed to pop up out of nowhere, we watched the virtual tour and were very impressed, especially given the price point at about 400k + HTB. Location isn't as good as other estates for the town and estage agent was painful to deal with, didn't seem to want the call. I heard phase 1 is almost totally sold out apart from the v large detached houses. Will be interested in hearing more about this estate - not too fussed about the social housing conversation.

Lyreen Lodge - Close to the town and smaller than other developments - only seem to have a few larger houses left at 575 at back. Def pretty estate but also quite expensive esp as the agent mentioned nothing included, also heard from a resident that she heard there is issue with back-gardens on back row being reduced vs. the plan perm - few people threatening to pull.

Does anyone know of any other estate that have planning permission or due to kick-off over the next 6-12 months? Right next to Maynooth, in Leixlip - Barnhall Meadows is ramping up the next phase - some huge beautiful houses are apparently on way via Coonan - just got email about them.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts and sorrrrry if anything above has already been explained/asked/discussed!

Cheers,
    Sal

Rectory lands files are in. This is a professionally done application to high standards so the documentation flaws and important info that just wasn't provided for the shopping centre development is not an issue here.

Vehicular access is going to be the most likely cause of that being refused - Parson Street cannot take the extra demand and is likely to be made one-way at some point. The traffic plan is the size of a medium sized book so I haven't read that yet, there could be some further horrors in there.

Also the flood risk assessment acts as if the site never has water ponding as it stands, which it does every single year.

The height is a lost argument even if someone really doesn't like it. It does not 'loom over Buckleys House' (paraphrasing not quoting - but this is a common complaint on Facebook!), its not even really visible from the town or at all from the castle/college; the density is within current national guidelines for somewhere that is actually a stones throw from what will be a DART station and so on.

That said I think the top two floors of the tallest block are sacrificial to be let get deleted in planning - total of 8 apartments between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Rectory lands files are in. This is a professionally done application to high standards so the documentation flaws and important info that just wasn't provided for the shopping centre development is not an issue here.

Vehicular access is going to be the most likely cause of that being refused - Parson Street cannot take the extra demand and is likely to be made one-way at some point. The traffic plan is the size of a medium sized book so I haven't read that yet, there could be some further horrors in there.

Also the flood risk assessment acts as if the site never has water ponding as it stands, which it does every single year.

The height is a lost argument even if someone really doesn't like it. It does not 'loom over Buckleys House' (paraphrasing not quoting - but this is a common complaint on Facebook!), its not even really visible from the town or at all from the castle/college; the density is within current national guidelines for somewhere that is actually a stones throw from what will be a DART station and so on.

That said I think the top two floors of the tallest block are sacrificial to be let get deleted in planning - total of 8 apartments between them.

Is it Glenveagh properties? No surprise that it's a professional submission if it's them

It is. There's probably 2000 pages between the lot. This would be part of why it took an eternity to get scanned in!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Read elsewhere that the rest of MP units in future phases have been sold directly to an investor fund.

Read elsewhere that the rest of MP units in future phases have been sold directly to an investor fund.

Brilliant..housing crisis is solved...just need another 50,000 2 bed units rented at 1900 a month

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-2-bedroom-duplex-u-maynooth-moyglare-road-maynooth-co-kildare/2856256

Shameful what's happening in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

It's shameful yes, and the media don't even seem to care.

We're selling our children's future earrings to overseas investors and nobody seems to care. Just because we're making a few short sighted bucks now...

Advertisement