Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Should be locals only.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Orion wrote: »
    That's what Alice meant I think. FTI - a new pedestrian light is going in between Silkenvale and the train station too. That will bring the number of lights from Maxol to the college to 10 - ludicrous. 5 between Maxol and Main Street ffs.

Wow, more pedestrian lights... that is hilarious. You can drive from Maynooth to Mlain and Mizen head and encounter less traffic lights that from the motorway to Moyglare... And also to Achill.
    kidneyfan wrote: »
    Should be locals only.

Should have a town and county council not concerned with putting up as many houses as possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lights between M4 Maynooth and Carrick-on-Shannon - 0
    Lights between M4 Maynooth and Maynooth Town - 7.

Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Lights between M4 Maynooth and Carrick-on-Shannon - 0
    Lights between M4 Maynooth and Maynooth Town - 7.

Go figure.

To be fair, the lack of lights on primary roads is to be applauded, for traffic management in towns lights remain a necessity.

Staplor wrote: »
    To be fair, the lack of lights on primary roads is to be applauded, for traffic management in towns lights remain a necessity.

A necessity yes - but so many of them is crazy.

• Advertisement

Absolutely

Not enough IMO

Not enough IMO

There really is always one!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

Staplor wrote: »
    Traffic situation is a joke, take Hayfield as an example, it adds traffic to an already congested road, the solution could have been to have Hayfield exit at the Lidl lights, instead they join the already big queue of traffic.

However, part of Hayfield's planning was the developer was to install lights before anyone moved in. The developer has apparently paid the money to Kildare Co Co, but, they haven't bothered to put in the lights because they were having a look at traffic management in the town.

So they did the survey (when the students were away) and used "complex maths" to allow for the adjustment to the traffic survey to allow for this. Where's the lights at the junction? Nowhere. What has happened to the funds the developer paid the Co Co?

The only solution to the Maynooth traffic congestion is a second motorway exit at the Kilcock side to allow the college traffic avoid the town.
    Got this in an email from one of the CC's on Thursday -

"The Director of Services advise us at this morning’s Maynooth MD meeting that the Council has given the go ahead to the developer of Hayfield to install traffic lights at the junction as per the Planning Permission granted.

He expected them to be in place shortly."

More roadworks and chaos!

Good. The more lights the better. Should be one at the graveyard and just as you come into Kilcock.

• Advertisement

fmc3105 wrote: »
    Got this in an email from one of the CC's on Thursday -

"The Director of Services advise us at this morning’s Maynooth MD meeting that the Council has given the go ahead to the developer of Hayfield to install traffic lights at the junction as per the Planning Permission granted.

He expected them to be in place shortly."

More roadworks and chaos!

One of our locally elected officials said the developer paid the money direct to the council as the council wanted the survey first.

Someone is telling porkies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Apparently the new lights at Hayfield, or the junction of the Straffan and Meadowbrook Link Road if you will, will be synched with the lights at Lidl, which is something I suppose.

Good. The more lights the better. Should be one at the graveyard and just as you come into Kilcock.

Any chance of getting a few traffic lights for people posting in here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Triggered

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am having issues imagining the Straffan Road worse then it is.
    There are also frequent minor accidents there.
    We are going to need a set of traffic lights to get on to the Straffan road from the Greenfield shops next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 69x0qfea7rndmi

I've been looking at all the new estates in Maynooth, crazy prices for what you're getting Sure the BER are fantastic, but small gardens, small green areas etc. but is it really worth the premium vs an older house?
    Detached houses are rare and so pricey, I saw a great one in Carton Court. All the ground work done, Jacuzzi baths, GFCH, south facing private garden, big driveway for €390k.....and wouldn't have to deal with the Straffan Road. How do people feel about this area? When we viewed it was very quite, think the whole estate is a cul-de-sac:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most estates in Maynooth are dead ends; if anything there may be pedestrian access to another estate - there is in Carton Court

The houses are quite old so its worth checking that a renovation wasn't just skin deep. Turning right out of the estate can be tricky in heavy traffic but you will be turning left to the motorway if going that way. Estate would be mostly owner occupier and quite a few there since the 80s or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

I see they have made the entrance, off the Straffen road, to the houses at the back of Old Greenfield. More new houses to be built there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Kildare county council Plan has an made some alterations. Investigating the potential to extend Leixlip or, a new residential area in North Kildare north of the canal. For realz, I read it myself. Adamstown mark2.

On the older houses, you are talking 50-100k depending on size and how much you want to upgrade. Insulation, windows, plumbing, wiring, new kitchen & toilets. It will all have to be upgraded. Electricians wont certify, new gear, wnd of. But, you get better space. Problem is potential to live beside rental or students in a semi. Less likely in a new build.

You can claim VAT back (up to 40k?) and there is tax relief for increasing energy efficiency. SSEI or something if I recall? Plenty of info out there.

TheBody wrote: »
    I see they have made the entrance, off the Straffen road, to the houses at the back of Old Greenfield. More new houses to be built there yet.

Five or six I'd guess from aerial shots. Sell as serviced sites with OPP and I suspect they'd be snapped up in days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

L1011 wrote: »
    Five or six I'd guess from aerial shots. Sell as serviced sites with OPP and I suspect they'd be snapped up in days.

That road was meant to be built over 40 years ago. If you notice, the "back" row of houses on the left hand side of the existing road through Old Greenfield face the new road.

The road foundations are maybe 10 years old and there were issues about where it'd exit to. The opening to the Straffan Road was decided on after the planning documents were made up for the current works though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

ixus wrote: »
    Kildare county council Plan has an made some alterations. Investigating the potential to extend Leixlip or, a new residential area in North Kildare north of the canal. For realz, I read it myself. Adamstown mark2.

I cant see how a new residential area north of the canal would work,the only area would be between Confey and the back of Intel or between Maynooth and Kilcock [That would necessitate a new interchange on the M4]
    South of the M4 there is alot of space or even Grangewilliam between the M4 and canal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I cant see how a new residential area north of the canal would work,the only area would be between Confey and the back of Intel or between Maynooth and Kilcock [That would necessitate a new interchange on the M4]
    South of the M4 there is alot of space or even Grangewilliam between the M4 and canal

The Straffan road south of Maynooth and the M4 interchange would work, especially if they took the opportunity to do a significant upgrade of the M4 junction and the Maynooth bypass.

Rosahane wrote: »
    The Straffan road south of Maynooth and the M4 interchange would work, especially if they took the opportunity to do a significant upgrade of the M4 junction and the Maynooth bypass.

But it is so shortsighted. All it does is congest the most densely populated parts of the country by building cheap (materials) houses and not supplying decent amenities for the area. If anything no more places like adamstown should be build.

Build better transport links from Dublin and decentralise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

lordgoat wrote: »
    But it is so shortsighted. All it does is congest the most densely populated parts of the country by building cheap (materials) houses and not supplying decent amenities for the area. If anything no more places like adamstown should be build.

Build better transport links from Dublin and decentralise.

Well yes, that makes sense. But I was commenting solely in the context of the Kildare development plan.

Two planning apps in:

16/1144 - change a 5 house terrace of 3 beds to 4x4 bed semid in Moyglare Hall. Likely indicates demand for bigger units

16/1153 - lands behind Lidl refused under 15/200 due to traffic and drainage concerns. Not digitised yet.

L1011 wrote: »
    16/1153 - lands behind Lidl refused under 15/200 due to traffic and drainage concerns. Not digitised yet.

Is that where they are moving the fire station to?

Is that where they are moving the fire station to?

That, I believe, is the area that was once intended for the link road between Carton Court and Esso. Permission refused years ago for a medical centre and pharmacy there.

The link road was moved to the other side of Lidl at some point in the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Attached is a copy of the price list for the homes in Carton Wood as handed out today at the launch.

Advertisement