Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

JDxtra wrote: »
    Attached is a copy of the price list for the homes in Carton Wood as handed out today at the launch.

I daresay pricing seems "reasonable" in current climate. Is this to reflect location, not ideal being across from halting site and the Outer Ring Road that will be built this century.

What houses were on view today?

Edit: the 5&4 bed detached seem reasonable. Not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Without checking the drainage docs for the replacement planning for behind Lidl - because they'd mean nothing to me - I'd say the new application has a much better chance of passing. Fewer houses abutting existing estates, no houses opening on to the ring road.

Pedestrian link to Greenfield Drive is on it, which has been unpopular in the past but I fully support - enclosed housing estates are problematic in many ways and the usual claim of "it'll allow burglars escape!" ignores the fact that they use cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FTBhopeful

Hi everyone,

Great tread and it's very informative! I'm a first time buyer and recently went to view the 3bed semi in carton wood. I actually really liked the house but the halting site across the road is obviously a big concern.

Can anyone shed any more light on the halting site?
    - has it been there long?
    - is there any antisocial behaviour?
    - any issues with rats? Dumping/rubbish?

It is there a long time, as long as i can recall. 20/30 yrs. No real issues I can think of and to be honest, I have never heard any stories either.

Never been dumping around there though neglected horses were left in the small field beside the Carton wall a couple of years back for a few years running. Don't know who did that but appears to have stopped.

L1011 wrote: »
    To update on these

16/167 - Further Info request by the council primarily about traffic and
    drainage/flooding
    15/200 - appeal refused, primarily about flooding but also houses opening on to the ring road (my personal huge concern with it)
    15/263 - withdrawn
    09/246 - no activity
    09/8 - Site clearance has started, name to be "Carton Wood" according to planning docs
    04/767 - no activity, I would imagine this is going to expire.

The withdrawn/refused ones will inevitably have revised plans in future

Updates to these for year-end:
    16/167 - refused on flood risk, appealed - appeal doesn't seem to have been heard yet
    15/200 is replaced by 16/1153 - lower density, different layout. Still likely going to have issues with flooding/drainage as the land floods; badly.
    09/246 - site clearance work looks to be underway although I don't see a commencement notice. May be considered as part of Carton Wood when built.
    04/767 has expired with no commencement and nothing new has been submitted; nothing new for 15/263 either.

• Advertisement

Still waitin on Cairns big one.

There was a withdrawn application for some of that site in 2009 (09/287) but nowhere near the entirety of it. Very low building density on that plan albeit a number of apartment blocks so the unit density wasn't that tiny.

There's a plan for a new road from the Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road across the top of the site as far as I remember but fecked if I can find it in the LAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 filemoon

L1011 wrote: »
    There's a plan for a new road from the Moyglare Road to the Dunboyne Road across the top of the site as far as I remember but fecked if I can find it in the LAP.

Hi

Are you talking about fameous MOOR (ring road)?

I was ready to buy in Moyglare Hall but looks like they can do nothing until MOOR is completed (they've tried to change planning permission but looks like they stuck).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

No, a road further in - from opposite the (current) secondary school.

The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.

And yet construction can start this Quarter on two new schools at the current entrance to Moyglare Hall on what is essentially a country road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

No, a road further in - from opposite the (current) secondary school.

The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.

thanks for sharing.. do they only have to do ~180m's worth (see pic)? who is going to do the rest. I figured if the council had them over a barrel we might see the road materialize sooner, but if they only have to do this little section, who is obliged to do the rest?

Article on all new developments in Dublin and Kildare. Big one underway in Kilcock, laying the road from small road out by Supervalu (over the hump bridge) at the moment. It's called the Maynooth Road in this article. Planning via Meath CoCo.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/thinking-of-buying-a-new-home-here-is-what-s-for-sale-now-and-coming-up-later-this-year-1.2916418

thanks for sharing.. do they only have to do ~180m's worth (see pic)? who is going to do the rest. I figured if the council had them over a barrel we might see the road materialize sooner, but if they only have to do this little section, who is obliged to do the rest?

Meath CoCo have approved the rest I think. But it needs funding/building from future developers.

Meath CoCo have approved the rest I think. But it needs funding/building from future developers.

Never going to happen. Need it from that structural fund that Coveney announced. And the CoCo had to be oushed to apply for that free money. Imagine.

KCC (when forced by councillors) applied for the Kildare sections. The Meath section is tied to industrial development planned for that side of the border.

[QUOTE=The outer ring road only has to be completed to the county boundary by the MH developers for them to continue with the estate.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know this is not accurate. MH cannot sell until all MOOR is completed.
    I've been spoken to person from Kildare Transportation Department and he told - "MOOR needs more time" - "couple of years".

ixus: - "And yet construction can start this Quarter" can I ask what is your source?

It is accurate. I posted what ABP had to say earlier in the thread.

filemoon wrote: »
    As far as I know this is not accurate. MH cannot sell until all MOOR is completed.
    I've been spoken to person from Kildare Transportation Department and he told - "MOOR needs more time" - "couple of years".

ixus: - "And yet construction can start this Quarter" can I ask what is your source?

Moyglare Hall only requires that section of Ring Road. The complete Ring Road, or such a clause would be difficult to enforce. Developers are def stuck for now on this one.

Liffey Champion pre Christmas had articles in it with who's who claiming school would start this Quarter. That's the timetable. The point is, you could have the school's started which would have a bigger impact than 70 houses, an incomplete housing estate and no sign of a Ring Road. Bad for everyone.

Thank you for update.

So there is still hope they will finish road and start selling again.

Do you know why they have so big issue with the part road - it is around 180m, does MH need to build any bridges?

Thank you for update.

So there is still hope they will finish road and start selling again.

Do you know why they have so big issue with the part road - it is around 180m, does MH need to build any bridges?

Funding. Developers do not want to be on the hook for this. The model is from pre 2006. They have likely suffered through the boom and bust. Seem to have survived it.

The financing model is outdated. Council or govt should build in advance and deduct taxes/levies as houses are built.

Govt can borrow at really low rates whereas developers are caught at high rates if they cam borrow from banks at all and not higher margin lenders seeking 12-20%

• Advertisement

How much can cost Maynooth/Kildare section (180m) of ring road - 1 million - 5 millions (I have no idea)? What if developer decides not to build this road? Will county build it, as county need to have it when new school will be ready?

System is wrong - you are right.

How much can cost Maynooth/Kildare section (180m) of ring road - 1 million - 5 millions (I have no idea)? What if developer decides not to build this road? Will county build it, as county need to have it when new school will be ready?

System is wrong - you are right.

If the developer "decides" not to build it, they'll have enforcement proceedings against them to prevent them building any more houses. Part of it is already there. Cost would be under 1M.

As it is, its completely useless without the Meath section.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

I seen a new planning permission board up at the little stub of the road just at the entrance to Moyglare Hall proper. I'll try read it later.

You could always look online....

I'd say it's one of the Satchwell's building a house in there. Planning online for that. Cairn have gone quiet.

ixus wrote: »
    You could always look online....

I'd say it's one of the Satchwell's building a house in there. Planning online for that. Cairn have gone quiet.

Nothing online new. Sign can go up a little while before the application as they want to know where the signs *are*.

Patser wrote: »
    I seen a new planning permission board up at the little stub of the road just at the entrance to Moyglare Hall proper. I'll try read it later.

New sign? There's been a sign there for a while about the ring road.

Maybe, this one looked very shiny and new. I'll double check later

Yep you're right, dated May 2016, must have looked extra shiny in the winter sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Does anyone have any info about the new houses going into the left of the Carton wood site, are they part of same development? Don't see them on carton wood site map, anyone know what they are called? Thanks

Advertisement