Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New housing developments in Maynooth

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I also live beside the Greenfield shopping centre and have no double glazing and the noise doesn't bother me but it definitely isn't quite,at the back of the house you can hear the motorway hum and at the front The Straffan Road.
    It is quite as in there are no student houses etc but there is alot of road noise and sirens and alarms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

650k now. No bidders at 695k i guess.
    ixus wrote: »
    Oh how I remember the days when I had huge reservations about the detached in Castlepark. 380k for the 4 bed detached. Was interested but the whole pyrite in Enfield issue and protests put me off. Then there was the madness of 400k, 440k and finally, 500k sealed bids. Insane stuff I said.

Well, someone thinks their gaff is now work 695k or double what they paid for it if they bought at the first phase which Im guessing.

If they achieve anything like that, it will set a new barometer of madness in Maynooth. Wonder are they getting out before the view is ruined by 400 odd units.

Edit: This never made the propertypriceregister with all the others in 2012, so I guess developer held onto it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

650k now. No bidders at 695k i guess.

Be interesting to see what this goes for, but if a 6 bed semi d in kingsbury goes for 410k, i'd say north of 550k. Not sure if he will get 650 but just glad we closed recently before having to deal with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

lordgoat wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what this goes for, but if a 6 bed semi d in kingsbury goes for 410k, i'd say north of 550k. Not sure if he will get 650 but just glad we closed recently before having to deal with this!

https://m.myhome.ie/priceregister/25-castlepark-square-maynooth-532813

Well if this went for 565k in 2015 you’d have to believe it would go for more than that. Maybe 565 was over the odds at the time though.

hp1 wrote: »
    https://m.myhome.ie/priceregister/25-castlepark-square-maynooth-532813

Well if this went for 565k in 2015 you’d have to believe it would go for more than that. Maybe 565 was over the odds at the time though.

https://propertypriceregisterireland.com/details/25_castlepark_drive_dunboyne_road_maynooth_co_kildare_ireland-160060/

In 2016 maybe....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

391k with VAT (new build then).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hp1

lordgoat wrote: »

That’s a different house. Address is different. Possibly semi detached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

yeah, 344k is Castlepark Drive, i'd say it's a 3-bed semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Slightly on the side, but I note there are so few streetfacing townhouses built or for sale, and only these identikit developer-led suburban off-road houses, designed to cleanse your soul. The KCC plan has big ideas to develop all that area between the railway station and the Roost, but of course, nothing has happened. This would have been a medium density town extension rather than another 'family-friendly' breeding ground with a cheesy D4 name. It is an individual judgement, but I find it is a pity as living in town, rather than a drive from town, is much better socially for all ages, yet all I see is endless estates and and endless traffic.

I hear they may pedestrianise main street when the ringroad gets built at some vague point in the future, which will probably render the town centre even more like an oddity rather than being the town itself. In a way, it is too late to save Maynooth as it is ringfenced already with massive shopping centres and dull estates and industrial use. Maynooth is now more the drab house and a strip of shops with parking than anything properly urban like its Estate Village and Seminary/University core.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭tastyt

Hey guys,

I know its not a new development but there are houses within the price range im looking at 300 to 350 in Meadowbrook.

Im just wondering is this a hot spot for students and is it less settled than other estates.

Any advice appreciated

• Advertisement

Meadowbrook has a lot of students but more importantly part of the estate flooded badly in the past. There have been extensive remediation works and it is unlikely to reoccur but it is difficult/expensive to get full house insurance and that makes mortgages harder to get. That is why houses there are always cheaper than the equivalents elsewhere.

Also, the houses are a little on the small side for the number of rooms, but still liveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,257 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

L1011 wrote: »
    Meadowbrook has a lot of students but more importantly part of the estate flooded badly in the past. There have been extensive remediation works and it is unlikely to reoccur but it is difficult/expensive to get full house insurance and that makes mortgages harder to get. That is why houses there are always cheaper than the equivalents elsewhere.

Also, the houses are a little on the small side for the number of rooms, but still liveable.

And they have cardboard walls and are freezing cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Grayson wrote: »

I rented in Newtown Hall for two years and found the houses much worse than Meadowbrook or similar for noise. We could hear out next door neighbours putting plugs in their sockets. 
    The main issue causing the cold in Meadowbrook houses is the wooden frame windows. We bought in Brookfield which are similar houses and once we changed the windows and doors it made a huge difference to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

Grayson wrote: »

you tell me which house build in 90s are not freezing cold without any work done?? you name it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

I heard that the gangster builder Mooney has sold that piece of undeveloped land in Old Greenfield to the council.

I guess they will build social housing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I rented in Newtown Hall for two years and found the houses much worse than Meadowbrook or similar for noise. We could hear out next door neighbours putting plugs in their sockets. 
    The main issue causing the cold in Meadowbrook houses is the wooden frame windows. We bought in Brookfield which are similar houses and once we changed the windows and doors it made a huge difference to the house.

agreed - Newtown Hall was badly built as well even was only built in last 10 years.

That Greenfield land will definitely be social housing, whether they go for the planned density from the never-built private development (which was higher than KCC usually do) or not will be interesting.

Housing supply isn't a zero-sum game so social housing developments reduce pressure on private housing - removing HAP rentals basically, a good amount of which will be sold rather than re-let so any and every social house built enhances supply for buyers too. There was an announcement of about 20 to be built somewhere else in Maynooth a while ago, can't remember where

The new student accomodation plans have the same impact - many houses in the 1970s/1980s/early 90s estates are rented as student rentals currently and if demand drops they are likely to be sold rather than improved to the standard that non-student tenants want. Have seen this happen a few times on my road already - families buying and renovating former student lets. When the development opposite the Roost is built and open that will probably release 30-40 houses in Kingsbry, College Green, Beaufield etc.

The new student accomodation plans have the same impact - many houses in the 1970s/1980s/early 90s estates are rented as student rentals currently and if demand drops they are likely to be sold rather than improved to the standard that non-student tenants want. Have seen this happen a few times on my road already - families buying and renovating former student lets. When the development opposite the Roost is built and open that will probably release 30-40 houses in Kingsbry, College Green, Beaufield etc.

This^

Not sure if it will release that many house but it will def free up some.

Also is it true that north of moyglare between current estates and the ring road has been zoned residential and building will start once the ring road begins?

Mariaville Dunboyne Rd. The old pitch and putt club across from Carton Square i think.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/work-due-commence-e3-2m-housing-project-north-kildare/202629

Mariaville Dunboyne Rd. The old pitch and putt club across from Carton Square i think.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/work-due-commence-e3-2m-housing-project-north-kildare/202629

Another one turned down by the coco and approved by An bord planeala....

If this is across from carton square, i'd be buying at the top of the hill. Place is one big lake in heavy rains.

• Advertisement

Am kind of surprised Castlepark 2 hasn't been resubmitted. If Cairn get in ahead with their scale may as well wait a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭squirrel6767

Anyone know if the large Cairn development got the go ahead by an bord pleanala. According to this report is was due to be decided last November. Pity you can't see plans etc. like you can on the KCC site

http://kfmradio.com/news/22092017-0817/application-development-maynooth-lodged-bord-pleanala

That was a pre application. When the full application goes in it will need a website with all the plans on it

Look at cabrashd.ie to see what they're required to put up

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭squirrel6767

That whole article reads like they are trying to leverage govt into doing something for them. I've never heard of a supply issue in Maynooth. More detail needed. Maybe it's a pumping system that's needed due to site elevation?

Moyglare Hall beside it has elevated green space areas, I think they store water.

That site, despite its elevation, is starting to hold water on heavy rainfall. I think it's due to Millerstown works impacting the river capacity

Any storage tanks in a development would be for storing surface runoff for hydrocarbon seperation and slow release to the drainage system; not for storing fresh water.

There hasn't been any major mains works around the town for some time (other than ancient pipe replacement in the town centre) and there has been, what, 500 new units started between Moyglare Hall, Castlepark, Limetree Hall and Carton Wood/Grove in the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

That whole article reads like they are trying to leverage govt into doing something for them. I've never heard of a supply issue in Maynooth. More detail needed. Maybe it's a pumping system that's needed due to site elevation?

Sounds to me more like excuses being given by one of the largest builders in Ireland as to why they're not pumping out houses during a well publicised housing shortage

Moyglare Hall beside it has elevated green space areas, I think they store water.

That site, despite its elevation, is starting to hold water on heavy rainfall. I think it's due to Millerstown works impacting the river capacity

Lived across the road from that site for years. I'd be very wary of buying anything built on it. Really wet ground often flooded during heavy rain and always took a long time to drain

Agreed. Have said same to councillors. Does not drain like you would expect from elevation.

• Advertisement

Statement from Irish Water going around says that this is, politely, bollox. All that is required is that Cairn do approx 2km of piping which would be normal on a development of that size.

Advertisement