Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving bank transfers in sterling

• 29-02-2016 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭

Can any point me in the direction of fees for sterling payments into an Irish bank account?

Money will be transferred once a month. Small amount roughly £200

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Which bank are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sorry, PTSB but if BOI are cheaper I can use an account there

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Here's the link to the BOI list of charges. It looks to be €5. I can't find anything on PTSB though, so I'd say give them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Dodge wrote: »
    Can any point me in the direction of fees for sterling payments into an Irish bank account?

Money will be transferred once a month. Small amount roughly £200

You are best off using an online currency broker, such as Transferwise, or Revolut to do the FX. Default bank FX rates are a ripoff.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would recommend setting up a Monese account - it's free. Just download the app and away you go. You get a UK bank account number and you can use this to receive sterling payments.

You can then use the likes of Currency Fair or TransferWise to convert into Euro and transfer to your Irish account. Or if you have a Revolut account, you could load that from your Monese account and convert to Euro using it instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I recommend opening an account with Fire, an Irish startup bank licensed by the central bank. They're great for people who need to handle both sterling and euro, as you get both a sterling and euro bank account with them with unique account numbers. There aren't any maintenance fees, but for business accounts you pay 0.49 per transaction.

Advertisement