Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Boston for a year

Options
  • 29-02-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

New to boards so if this is in the wrong spot, moderator can feel free to move it.

Contemplating moving to Boston using the 1 year graduate visa from next Sept/Oct onward. I have connections to set me up with a job so that would not be a problem. The only kicker is that finances will more than likely not allow to live in the city itself for the majority of the stay, so I will be living with family about an hour outside of Boston (Norfolk, to be precise). from what I can gather it's a quiet enough area, although the New England Patriots home stadium is nearby.

I will be travelling on my own so i'm a bit apprehensive as to whether I will have much to keep me occupied outside of work. Anyone on here with knowledge of the area, is there much to do in Norfolk or surrounding areas close by? Is the area mainly populated with young families or would there be students my own age (20-23), and is there much happening around for this age group? Finally, what is the public transport situation to get to the city from the area? My family travels to the city for work during the week anyway, but it's more so the weekends I am thinking about.

Any information from people who know the area would be greatly appreciated, as I feel that this will be a big factor as to whether I will take the expense (if possible) and live in the city or not. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP,

To be honest the outer suburbs around Boston are a bit of a wasteland for anything resembling fun for twentysomthings.

Its mainly families in detached houses on their own plot.
    You may have a "strip mall" with a few shops and possibly a restaurant every few miles or so but that's about it.
    Their are bigger malls also.

Public transport is non existent, there may be commuter rail services to Boston and Providence but that's about it.

You would be much better of looking for room shares in "closer in" suburbs that are serviced by subway and city buses.

These would also have more local bars, restaurants, cinemas, etc on "main streets"

Areas like Quincy, Dorchester, South Boston, Brighton, Alston, Somerville, Cambridge, Hyde Park, West Roxbury, Charlestown.

Where will you be working ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnlo10

Thanks for the reply.

I have an offer for the financial district in Boston. I know what you're thinking, I'd be a fool to turn down an opportunity like this, but the thought of spending a year basically in the middle of nowhere with not much to do didn't really appeal to me. If I'm going, I want to be able to make the most of it.

Looks like my best option would be to look towards the city, or the areas that you have mentioned. The thing that was most appealing to me about living with family was direct transport to nearly the door of the workplace, and it would have been a lot cheaper obviously.

What would you recommend for a twentysomething heading over on his own to get to know people? It's been about ten years since I was last in Boston, so I don't really have a clue of the social scene over there.

Also any idea of GAA clubs around the area of Norfolk, or in other areas close by? Have seen lists online, but none really seem to specify their location, apart from the HQ in Canton.

Thanks again!

johnlo10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I have an offer for the financial district in Boston. I know what you're thinking, I'd be a fool to turn down an opportunity like this, but the thought of spending a year basically in the middle of nowhere with not much to do didn't really appeal to me. If I'm going, I want to be able to make the most of it.

Looks like my best option would be to look towards the city, or the areas that you have mentioned. The thing that was most appealing to me about living with family was direct transport to nearly the door of the workplace, and it would have been a lot cheaper obviously.

What would you recommend for a twentysomething heading over on his own to get to know people? It's been about ten years since I was last in Boston, so I don't really have a clue of the social scene over there.

Also any idea of GAA clubs around the area of Norfolk, or in other areas close by? Have seen lists online, but none really seem to specify their location, apart from the HQ in Canton.

Thanks again!

Norfolk would be too far out for the GAA clubs, they ate mainly based in the suburbs mentioned earlier, but the Irish Cultural Centre is in Canton which would be closer to Norfolk, and similar to Norfolk in demographics.

Good way to get to know people would be through your work first and foremost.
    Americans are very welcoming people and would be queuing up to show you around and introduce you to others.

Check out Craigslist for ideas about tent prices etc on the areas mentioned.

A word of caution.
    Boston is a very racially divided city.
    Mixed race neighbourhoods are the exception rather than the rule.
    With that in mind the following areas would not exactly be suitable for an Irish person.
    Roxbury, Mattapan, parts of Jamaica Plain, the parts of Dorchester west of Dorchester Ave,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I think you may be over thinking this just a tad. A suburb of Boston is hardly the middle of no where. It's not like you are going to rural Nebraska. Join a gym, find your nearest sports bar, (a great way to meet people) find the nearest tennis club or the nearest hiking trails and bike paths, learn how to ski etc etc. There will be lots of things to do. How much contact do you have with your family over there? Surely they are the to best people fill you in, on what there is to do in their own area?

Agree with the poster who said that Americans are very welcoming. Your US co workers will be very quick to include you in things, invite you for a beer or a BBQ, or a Celtics game or whatever. There are so many Irish in Boston, you'll come across fellow Paddys every, where you go. That's another source of contacts and friends. Check out the numerous Irish bars in downtown Boston, that's another way to meet people, make friends and get invite to Sunday morning 5 a side games and whatnot. You'll find that most people don't live in the heart of the city. They'll be living out in the suburbs too, so they'll understanding if you need lifts somewhere. If you drive, consider buying a car. Buying a car in the US, is generally a good bit cheaper and easier than it is here & it will make living out in the 'burbs a good bit more palatable.

Not being able to afford to live right in the heart of the city, isn't a valid reason to miss out on what could be a great life experience. The suburbs aren't as exciting as downtown, but they aren't that bad. You just have to put the effort into building a social life and finding things to do, as it all won't be on your doorstep. What about living with your family for 6 months, saving your money and putting it towards getting somewhere downtown for the second 6 months?

The outer suburbs of Boston are pretty remote without your own transport.
    There is really not a whole lot going on out there.

But the other places I mentioned can be much better as they are much closer and have real public transport links.

Downtown Boston accommodation is off the charts expensive, but the places mentioned earlier are much more realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

OP living in a suburb like Norfolk for somebody in their early 20s whos only there for a year, would be extremely boring. There's really nothing to do their other than raise kids. Without a car you would be completely reliant on the commuter rail for a social outlet. The commuter rail is fine for getting to downtown for work everyday but thats about it.

Try to stay somewhere serviced by the MBTA. Ideally you would like to be in walking distance of a MBTA station but if that's not possible, look to stay somewhere that has a bus to the main T lines. e.g Cambridge is on the red line buts the area is extremely expansive so maybe look at a place like Watertown. You can get a bus from Watertown to Harvard Sq and then take the T to downtown for work. Socially you are just a bus ride or short cab/uber away from loads of nightlife and events in Cambridge & Somerville.

Fr Tod Umptious recommended some good areas to look at and avoid. So i'd start on Craigslist looking at room shares you can afford in what area then i would use Google Maps and map the your commute from those areas to your office (Google Maps is very good now at mapping routes with buses and the T combined)

Advertisement