Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing an original fat PS3

Options
  • 29-02-2016 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

This is not for me but for my 10-year old son. He's the gamer, I only ever used the console for Blu Rays so don't know a whole lot about them.

Original PS3 60gb failed. A new lens and wiping/resetting by computer shop could not fix. He got a bucket load of games and vouchers for christmas too.

Would this be the cheapest replacemet:

https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Shop/Tablets-Accessories/All-Accessories/Sony-Playstation-3-Slim-12GB

Is 12gb ok or can/should an internal or external hard drive be added?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

He can use the HD from his original PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Was mostly wondering if there would be any differences between the two consoles for him playing games and if that model from Carphone Warehouse is the one to get.

eman66 wrote: »
    Was mostly wondering if there would be any differences between the two consoles for him playing games and if that model from Carphone Warehouse is the one to get.

It's the one to get.
    Throw in a bigger HD and you're good to go.

I think you need a caddy for the HD, as you don't get one with that PS3(think it's optional too, but I'd prefer to have it than not).

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's the one to get.
    Throw in a bigger HD and you're good to go.

I think you need a caddy for the HD, as you don't get one with that PS3(think it's optional too, but I'd prefer to have it than not).
    Thanks. Do you mean an external caddy?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Do you mean an external caddy?

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    I do.

You shouldn't.

It's an internal mounting bracket not an external caddy, completely different.

41Q8kY5iRiL._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Does he play any PS2 games? Wasn't that capability removed in the newer PS3 versions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Zith wrote: »
    Does he play any PS2 games? Wasn't that capability removed in the newer PS3 versions?

Yes PS2 games will only work on the older Fat model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Smyths used to sell them for €10, but at this stage I don't think there'll be any.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they all still play PS1 games though

Zith wrote: »
    He does. Forgot about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yeah it was only original 60 gb fats that played the ps2 games so you'll be in trouble there. You can get a lot of them for next to nothing on the store if there are some particular favorites. You could probably get a ps2 for buttons on done deal or something if it's a big deal.

Computer shop reckon they can get a lens that will work. €25 + labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Computer shop reckon they can get a lens that will work. €25 + labour.

In your original post you say the PS3 failed.
    Do you mean it just powers off or cannot read games from the drive?

If its the first issue then the lens wont fix it.

Advertisement