Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Well reading through this post and others still unsure if to splash the cash on this or wait for Google Home
    Like to hear others inputs or if they are waiting and if so why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

v10 wrote:
    I have a mix of WeMo smart plugs, TPLink smart plugs and Philips Hue Bulbs around the place and they all work pretty good too.

Just got one today, how do you get the app for it? Says not available in my country for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

macnug wrote: »
    Just got one today, how do you get the app for it? Says not available in my country for me.

Discussed many times in the thread, or just use alexa.amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well reading through this post and others still unsure if to splash the cash on this or wait for Google Home Like to hear others inputs or if they are waiting and if so why?

Well I'm getting both.
    Where do you have accounts ? Spotify Amazon Music. Google Play ?

That might be a deciding factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

For anyone looking for a Bluetooth speaker for their Dot, the UE Boom 2 has dropped to £99 including free delivery on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof/dp/B0141208EA/

Cheapest it's been in a while

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Ultimate-Ears-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof-Black-Grey/product/B0141208EA?context=browse

It's a toss up between this and a JBL Charge 3, which hasn't dropped in a while but might over Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Stoner wrote: »
    Well reading through this post and others still unsure if to splash the cash on this or wait for Google Home Like to hear others inputs or if they are waiting and if so why?

Well I'm getting both.
    Where do you have accounts ? Spotify Amazon Music. Google Play ?

That might be a deciding factor
    It could be the same for me depending on price. I am in the states early next year so may look at getting Google Home over there if available and I can use over here.
    I use Spotify and I want to listen to Internet Radio. I only use Google play for updating apps on android phone and box so I use Google more than I use Amazon.
    Can the Echo store the station or is it just a case of saying 8Radio or Camden Radio and it plays them or would I have to add TuneIn Radio app to it and is that easy enough to do?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

For anyone that has the Echo, whats this like as a standalone speaker to play music through, is the sound good? Has it good bass? Do Amazon have a 2nd generation one in the pipeline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

loup wrote: »
    For anyone that has the Echo, whats this like as a standalone speaker to play music through, is the sound good? Has it good bass? Do Amazon have a 2nd generation one in the pipeline?

most on here would say its great, i think i'm a lone voice thinking its a bit meh. It has plenty of volume.

compared to my £44 anker speaker its pretty good.

compared to squeezebox boom its desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Haven't heard it but most people say it's average - decent.. but far from mind-blowing!
    With proper Sonos integration due next year, I'd say an Echo Dot + Play 1 would be a better purchase.

• Advertisement

Most of the complaints have been around the bass, so if that's important to you (it was with me), then Dot plus choice of speaker is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭cichlid child

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just to answer my own question, setting Alexa back to US enables Harmony control - Happy Chappie now :D
    So do I have to change my account to US to use Hamony?
    If so is your time still work?
    Is spotify still ok?
    Do I have to email Amazon to change the account?
    Im Thinking US account - NI address maybe will make everything work.
    We really need a sticky for whats the best scenario to have as in.
    US account + NI Address =No irish radio by voice,Spotify working well. time working good, Hamoney working, nest not working etc.Bit bold untrue just example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Have mine in the kitchen and it is perfect for there to play the radio, There is plenty of volume, I rarely go louder than level 3 or 4.
    It wouldn't be suitable for any audiophile needs (dot and speakers are the recommendation here for that), but can hold it's own for background listening.

I'm sure Amazon are working on the next gen, but as this is only launched in the UK a month now, it'll be a while before there will be any word from them about it.

What is the best affordable wireless speaker that works with the Echo. Just use it for listening to radio and spotify songs but not to pushed on bass, treble etc just audible and wont wake the neighbours up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

What is the best affordable wireless speaker that works with the Echo. Just use it for listening to radio and spotify songs but not to pushed on bass, treble etc just audible and wont wake the neighbours up

If you are going to connect speakers then you should get a Dot instead of an Echo, the €100 saving will get you some decent speakers and change.
    Or, based on what you are looking to do with it, I would say the Echo itself will be good enough.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Dual-Driver-Distortion-Microphone/dp/B016MO90GW/

Note that the Echo Dot's speaker is pretty good for background music. I actually only connect it to the Bluetooth speaker about 30% of the time.. the rest is fine for general audio.

It's perfect for speech... surprising "depth" and not at all tinny, considering it's size.

It sounds a hell of a lot better than my radio alarm clock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can actually control Harmony from a UK Amazon account using Yonomi app.

The level of integration is about the same as native harmony support (just turn on/off activities). But the advantage of using Yonomi is that you can integrated it all in one action with Philips Hue lights.

For instance if I say:
    "Alexa, turn on night mode":
    - It switches off the TV (via Harmony)
    - It switches off my Philips Hue lights (with a 60 seconds fade out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

bellucio wrote: »
    Hi V10...
    Do you have it set up under amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

I use amazon.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

An echo ? I have an separate UK iTunes account that I use for apps that are restricted to UK, its easy to set one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

so guys just followed this thread and should i buy it or not.if i do should i get the dot aswell.have spotify and all that thanks.will put the wifes mind at rest for xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

so guys just followed this thread and should i buy it or not.if i do should i get the dot aswell.have spotify and all that thanks.will put the wifes mind at rest for xmas

If you have Spotify I'd get it. If you have nice speakers that you'd like to use get the Dot.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

If so is your time still work?
    Is spotify still ok?
    Do I have to email Amazon to change the account?
    Im Thinking US account - NI address maybe will make everything work.
    We really need a sticky for whats the best scenario to have as in.
    US account + NI Address =No irish radio by voice,Spotify working well. time working good, Hamoney working, nest not working etc.Bit bold untrue just example

Mine is set up like this.
    US for content, otherwise you can't access the harmony skill.
    My address is dublin
    Spotify is fine
    Tunein is fine
    Time works perfect.
    You can change it your self, on amazon go to account - content & Devices - switch country there. I did have a us account previously.
    No draw backs for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Stoner wrote: »
    If you have Spotify I'd get it. If you have nice speakers that you'd like to use get the Dot.

Do I need the dot as well for other rooms I have good speakers thanks

Yes you do. Unless you use the voice remote and wireless speakers.

Not necessarily. You can control it via the remote (which I'm now thinking of getting in the Black Friday sales) as sometimes you might be out of ear-shot of Alexa

Have to say great little device for the price. Got the rte news working thanks to this tread. Probably get the Philips lights in the new year.

Just a couple of questions, I don't and probably won't use Spotify for anything other than for the echo, would I be better off using amazon music as its cheaper? Does it have as much music as Spotify?

My heating system is a basic oil burner, its turned on by a spur switch which is being fed from a breaker on the board, is there system that can switch a spur or breaker through the echo?

Have to say great little device for the price. Got the rte news working thanks to this tread. Probably get the Philips lights in the new year.

Just a couple of questions, I don't and probably won't use Spotify for anything other than for the echo, would I be better off using amazon music as its cheaper? Does it have as much music as Spotify?

My heating system is a basic oil burner, its turned on by a spur switch which is being fed from a breaker on the board, is there system that can switch a spur or breaker through the echo?

spotify is far superior to amazon music but prime has a lot more than just music. If you're not going to use amazon video (which is great btw) i'd opt for spotify.

look at nest for control of your central heating. Or Netatmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Any tips for getting Newstalk to play from TuneIn? (US English .com account).

Alexa always interprets it as "Young Turks".

mrcheez wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Dual-Driver-Distortion-Microphone/dp/B016MO90GW/

Note that the Echo Dot's speaker is pretty good for background music. I actually only connect it to the Bluetooth speaker about 30% of the time.. the rest is fine for general audio.

It's perfect for speech... surprising "depth" and not at all tinny, considering it's size.

It sounds a hell of a lot better than my radio alarm clock.
    Thanks
    Think I will get it first then judge for myself if I need speaker or not. May get the dot also and just have that upstairs and see if I can set wake up alarm on it and if possible snooze
    Also just reading on Amazon it only supports Spotify Premium I only have the basic i.e non subscription one. Can it be linked to a non premium account?

Thanks
    Think I will get it first then judge for myself if I need speaker or not. May get the dot also and just have that upstairs and see if I can set wake up alarm on it and if possible snooze
    Also just reading on Amazon it only supports Spotify Premium I only have the basic i.e non subscription one. Can it be linked to a non premium account?

Nope... need Premium. But there's a thread on Bargain Alerts at the moment for getting Spotify Premium for 6 months for €15.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057655713&page=25

Probably best €15 I've spent in living memory.

Thanks

Nope... need Premium. But there's a thread on Bargain Alerts at the moment for getting Spotify Premium for 6 months for 15.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057655713&page=25

Probably best 15 I've spent in living memory.
    hmm now wondering if I will buy this as would like to link it with Spotify and not that interested in paying for Spotify as I don't use it that much to justify it. I could stream from my phone but would be good to ask Echo for X song and it gets played.
    Are there any other options anyone could suggest?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

hmm now wondering if I will buy this as would like to link it with Spotify and not that interested in paying for Spotify as I don't use it that much to justify it. I could stream from my phone but would be good to ask Echo for X song and it gets played.
    Thanks

Plenty of music stations on TuneIn, you can't request a particular song though.
    Only other option currently is Amazon Prime music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm in the be process of setting up my dot at the moment. It's relatively intuitive.
    The only downside is my 6 year old new best friend is Alexa:)

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks

Plenty of music stations on TuneIn, you can't request a particular song though.
    Only other option currently is Amazon Prime music.
    I have spotify on my phone(non premium) can I choose a song here and play it on the Echo via Bluetooth? I know with Sonos I can add Radio stations and stream that way so maybe I may have to look at that option

I have spotify on my phone(non premium) can I choose a song here and play it on the Echo via Bluetooth? I know with Sonos I can add Radio stations and stream that way so maybe I may have to look at that option

Sure. Its a Bluetooth speaker as well as output device

but really €15 for six months isn't really that much when U factor in the benefits such as high-bitrate streaming and no ads, plus not having to useyour phone as output device so music always on regardless of phone batt

Price of 3 beers

anyone interested in getting alexa to read your kindle books, it only works for .com accounts not .co.uk .

"Amazon Echo for UK does not support the option for text to speech for kindle books at the moment.
    Text to speech is the feature that allows kindles to read books out loud. However we are currently working as soon as possible to implement this feature in the next software versions"

Sure. Its a Bluetooth speaker as well as output device

but really 15 for six months isn't really that much when U factor in the benefits such as high-bitrate streaming and no ads, plus not having to useyour phone as output device so music always on regardless of phone batt

Price of 3 beers
    Ok like to know where you drink for that price :)
    Have asked in Bargains if any openings for Spotify premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    donegal. wrote: »

Had £39 gift voucher so just order one.

Cheers

Just received my Amazon order. They made a mistake and sent me the lightstrip plus instead of the extension. Result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Why isn't rte news working for me?!! I've made the skill, after following the instructions here, and then I've enabled it in the app but it doesn't show up in my flash briefing section. And Alexa only read the news I've picked in the flash briefing settings...

BobPresto wrote:
    Why isn't rte news working for me?!! I've made the skill, after following the instructions here, and then I've enabled it in the app but it doesn't show up in my flash briefing section. And Alexa only read the news I've picked in the flash briefing settings...

Try switching the others off and see if it works.

• Advertisement

Everything else is off and the skill is enabled but never mind, I switch to amazon.com and it showed up in the flash briefing settings but now Spotify wont work and I cant get it to switch back to amazon.co.uk

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

BobPresto wrote: »
    Everything else is off and the skill is enabled but never mind, I switch to amazon.com and it showed up in the flash briefing settings but now Spotify wont work and I cant get it to switch back to amazon.co.uk

If you switch UK to US or vice versa you need to go to the alexa app and select Spotify as your primary music source again.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    If you switch UK to US or vice versa you need to go to the alexa app and select Spotify as your primary music source again.

Did that but alexa wouldnt play any of my playlists:mad: Everytime I went to alexa.amazon.co.uk I kept getting redirected to alexa.amazon.com. But its all sorted now, Amazon chat to the rescue. Wont be trying that again anytime soon.

Can someone link me to where I can get rte working please?

^^^^^^^^^

Proof, if ever, that we need that sticky... how's it coming along?!?

^^^^^^^^^

Proof, if ever, that we need that sticky... how's it coming along?!?

Glad to be of service. :D

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101301120&postcount=403

Finally after a lot of messing around and cursing at Alexa and thanks to you guys everything sorted. Bar Irish radio by voice but Im ok with that.

USA account with Dublin Address.
    Time working.
    Weather working without saying Dublin.
    Traffic working.
    Music working without saying spotify.
    Harmony working.
    TV on/off
    Flash Briefing from RTE.
    Sports update with English Premier league teams.
    Can only get FM 104 with Voice. Rest with App.

I am unsure how I got everything to work as it took me about 2 hours switching from UK account to USA account and back again and disconnecting echo then connecting again.
    I think you need to have the laptop and a bit of peace with the Echo beside you so you can reset a couple of times. And the patience of a saint. Special shout out to BK , Stoner and V10 thanks for your input.

Weather working without saying Dublin.
    Traffic working.

This is after setting Echo language to US correct?

I still have the UK language... kinda prefer the voice tbh.
    Flash Briefing from RTE.

This is with v10's app right?

This is after setting Echo language to US correct?
    I still have the UK language... kinda prefer the voice tbh.
    This is with v10's app right?

Its set to UK Language. I used V10 s app.

Its set to UK Language. I used V10 s app.

Odd traffic didn't work for me. Perhaps I'm phrasing the question incorrectly.

"Alexa, how long will it take to drive to Merrion Square" ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement