Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Echo FAQ

1202122232426»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

jobless wrote: »
    thanks!

If it's too bassy as the reviews suggest say to Alexa:

"Alexa turn up treble level" and "Alexa turn up middle level" ... or "Alexa turn down bass level"

Mess around with these settings until it sounds perfect... have vastly improved sound out of my speakers doing this.

(one caveat: saying "turn up level" also turns up the volume one notch, so you always have to say "turn down volume" after ... and vice versa for "turn down level"... I think this is because the EQ isn't officially advertised as a feature so has this minor side effect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Just chimming in folks,

Firstly its amazing how well this thing can pickup your voice when sat even beside a speaker.

What Ive noticed:

Radio Stations
    1. Out of the box following setup I was able to ask "Alexa, play TodayFM on TuneIn Radio" it worked.

2. Following this I asked "Alexa, play 2FM on TuneIn Radio" it worked.

However I changed my location on the Dot to o'Connel street as some suggested (as you know the product is not localised for ireland... yet.?)
    The next evening I played todayfm successfully but 2fm was not working (Maybe the stream was broken but Ill try again this evening.
    I had seen similar discrepencies earlier in this thread so Im guessing anyone that had issues playing 2fm may have had their location entered.
    So its either your time or your 2Fm you have to sacrifice!

At a distance in a Kitchen Dining area plenty of echo/reverb LOL!
    I had the radio on fairly loud and I found that in this environment it was at least 30% better having the top of the Dot facing you e.g. as if it were wall mounted with buttons facing outwards from the wall.

I am currently following steps to get it communicating with eventghost to Plug into my home automation, a bit of work but an awesome device all the same.

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

However I changed my location on the Dot to o'Connel street as some suggested (as you know the product is not localised for ireland... yet.?)

N
    It's not the product. It's Bing Maps that is crap for addresses in Ireland. Why they use that pos is beyond me.

I had 2FM working I thought but can't anymore. Other stations work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Orion wrote: »
    It's not the product. It's Bing Maps that is crap for addresses in Ireland. Why they use that pos is beyond me.

I had 2FM working I thought but can't anymore. Other stations work fine.

Changed my address to the US and "Alexa, play 2FM" works fine.

The weather thing is dodgy, so use Big Sky for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Hi, I can get Amazon Music to play on my Android phone but not on my Amazon Dot. Any ideas why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Hi, I can get Amazon Music to play on my Android phone but not on my Amazon Dot. Any ideas why?

Do you have prime membership?

Had a song in my head but couldn't remember the name of the song for Alexa to play it, so I asked:

Alexa, what's the song that goes like "no need to run and hide" ?

Answer: "Playing a sample of Wonderful Life by Black"

bingo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've connected my UE Boom 2 to my dot with a cable but getting no sound output from the speaker.
    IS there something I need to do to set them up?

thanks

EDIT: Got it paired and working via bluetooth.
    Is there any reason why it wont work with a cable connecting them together? Im getting no sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

mrcheez wrote: »
    Had a song in my head but couldn't remember the name of the song for Alexa to play it, so I asked:

Alexa, what's the song that goes like "no need to run and hide" ?

Answer: "Playing a sample of Wonderful Life by Black"

bingo!

Does this only work under certain conditions ? Anything I ask it says it can't find a single with the lyrics.

Does this only work under certain conditions ? Anything I ask it says it can't find a single with the lyrics.

Not sure.. it probably only works with music that's on Amazon Prime and/or more mainstream songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 parmenion

Hi I've read this entire thread and ordered the Dot after 50ish pages. I'm still waiting for delivery but I'm wondering if the GH is a better fit now reading comments from BK? I've Fire Tv's with kodi, Hue lights through the house and wemo switches as well as harmony hubs controlling all entertainment. BK or anyone with experience in both could you give me your opinions on what would be better for my setup? TIA and thanks to everyone on this thread.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

parmenion wrote: »
    Hi I've read this entire thread and ordered the Dot after 50ish pages. I'm still waiting for delivery but I'm wondering if the GH is a better fit now reading comments from BK? I've Fire Tv's with kodi, Hue lights through the house and wemo switches as well as harmony hubs controlling all entertainment. BK or anyone with experience in both could you give me your opinions on what would be better for my setup? TIA and thanks to everyone on this thread.

Everything you listed will work just fine with your Echo dot, but they will also work perfectly fine with GHome too (with the exception of Fire TV, though voice control of video at the moment is still purely a gimmick IMO).

I do find that GHome understands me better and handles radio stations, spotify, weather and commute times better. However it isn't a massive difference.

GHomes AI is further along and more natural, while Echo supports far more devices and services. Neither is perfect for now.

I'd say keep the Dot for now and enjoy it, after all it is only £40. You could always get GHome later and put the dot in another room (what I've done), sell it or gift it.

BTW I assume you are hooking the Dot up to another speaker? Because the Dot's own speaker isn't great for music and GHome's speaker would be much better then it, more equivalent to the full size Echo.

Hey thanks BK, I have Bluetooth speakers I can pair with it but I'm not really into music so I was just going to use it for smart home devices. The ability to run activities in Harmony will be cool along with the Hue light scenes and "turn on xmas lights" Disappointing to see that Harmony skill is only available in US at least for a month or two so Yonomi it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have a Harmony remote(touch) that I love, its my second Harmony. Am I right in saying if i bought a harmony Hub Id be able to use my Echo Dot to control my Harmony(through Yonomi for the time being) I.E. I could say "Alexa turn on tv" "turn on netflix" " turn on apple tv" etc?

adox wrote: »
    I have a Harmony remote(touch) that I love, its my second Harmony. Am I right in saying if i bought a harmony Hub Id be able to use my Echo Dot to control my Harmony(through Yonomi for the time being) I.E. I could say "Alexa turn on tv" "turn on netflix" " turn on apple tv" etc?

That's what I'm hoping to do. From reading the thread here it looks like activities work and maybe simple volume up/down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hey thanks BK, I have Bluetooth speakers I can pair with it but I'm not really into music so I was just going to use it for smart home devices. The ability to run activities in Harmony will be cool along with the Hue light scenes and "turn on xmas lights" Disappointing to see that Harmony skill is only available in US at least for a month or two so Yonomi it is.

Then I think you will be fine with the Dot, it does a pretty good job of handling HA tech and it is nice and small and inconspicuous, I think you will be happy with it.

The official Harmony skill doesn't do anything more then Yonomi does, it just turns on and off harmony activites, so really no lose. In fact yonomi is better as you can get it to do multiple things on one command, for instance, turn on tv, turn off lights, turn up the light behind the TV, etc.
    adox wrote: »

Yes I'm doing exactly that at the moment.

Again control unfortunately is limited to turning on/off activities only.

looks like iffft is supported for uk devices now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

As is ifttt ;)

• Advertisement

Got a link?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Got a link?

If u look at Alexa part of iffft website it now says USA and uk

If u look at Alexa part of iffft website it now says USA and uk

https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

FYP

Ok got my Echo DOT and first impressions are.... Great, very easy to setup and got WEMO and Hue lights working within minutes. It probably helped that I'd read through this thread. Had a start at using harmony activities through yonomi and didn't get this working, however it was late and only had a short time to try. Will try again over the weekend although I did read today that the Harmony skill will be available next week in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ok got my Echo DOT and first impressions are.... Great, very easy to setup and got WEMO and Hue lights working within minutes. It probably helped that I'd read through this thread. Had a start at using harmony activities through yonomi and didn't get this working, however it was late and only had a short time to try. Will try again over the weekend although I did read today that the Harmony skill will be available next week in UK.

How do you find having a mix of Hue and WeMo lights? I think I'd prefer to stick to one brand and have a few hue whites, but I've been keeping an eye on wemo bulbs just in case there's any deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

I have an option of getting the Echo from the US next week or even the Amazon Tap. Will they work in Ireland if brought back from the US - any limitations?

Also is the Echo worth the extra over the Tap or is the Echo dot possibly the best option if I have a bluetooth enabled soundbar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement