Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Idiots Guide to installing heated grips?

• 29-02-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

Got some heated grips off AliExpress (HERE) but I'm not the handiest on an engine or electrics.

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to what I need to do? Most online tutorials refer to the Oxford heated grips.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How handy are you with electrics?

Thats question number one, The reason i ask is because if you are not reasonably clued in you will most likely end up with a dead battery.

I could point you to my oxford guide i put together but that set is hooked up to a relay i have which is powered off ignition. You may not have that luxury hence my point above about battery death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It looks like those aren't for a motorbike: "Fit for ATV's with thumb throttles; will not work with twist grip throttles".

Advice from one technical leper to another? Throw them in the bin and get a proper set fitted that won't kill your battery or set your bike on fire. Those yokes cost a tenner, so they're probably made by the same lads from the "Here's why you should never leave your phone charging unattended" china special phone chargers.

I got quoted 110 quid all in (including the oxford grips which are 80 quid to buy) from a bike shop in town. Happy out to save the hassle and possible pains in the hole from cutting off your existing grips and shaving down bars, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If what you got is the same as the pic your ok..the listing may be wrong....

If your DIY dont cut off the grips..its a waste of a good pair unless theyre worn...get a long thin screwdriver, spray some WD40 on the shaft and push it up between the grip and bar/tube ,,turn it and wiggle it as you work your way around the bar/tube..you've just saved a tenner..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The ones in the pic have a throttle cam on the inside of the L grip?
    OP any chance you can post a pic of the actual grips you have?
    In any case they are all similar, you should however as already stated use a relay to switch them on and off when the bike isn't running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The ones I got are the same as the ones in the pics, lads.
    What's the story with a relay? Is that so it only activates when the key is turned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Op I have these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datatool-Heated-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar/dp/B00BR0QHUE

You connect them straight to the battery. They switch themselves off when you key out. I opted to wire mine to a fuse block which was equally as handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

A relay is a switch that switches another electrical item on or off if its energised.
    The purpose of the relay is to prevent the draw from the grips flattening the battery if left on.
    Most people usually have the relay powered by the headlights so when the lights are on the relay is energised and the grips work, once the lights are off the grips go off as well.

Think I might just pop into JPs and ask them to install them. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Cheap Chinese electrical items = fire hazard

I'd buy Oxford ones that have the auto detect function. They switch themselves off when the engine is off by detecting the charge coming to the battery.

Cheap Chinese electrical items = fire hazard.

Gotta love the chinese.....if they could walk all the way over here to hand deliver the grips to your cold hand they would...if they could afford a pair of shoes..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Next week : Installing ashtrays

Arkady wrote: »

:D..........After that..Air-bags, front to back screen and extra wheels..:P

Arkady wrote: »
    :D..........After that..Air-bags, front to back screen and extra wheels..:P

Ah here, stop, all I want is a nice aircon system and I'll be happy.

Advertisement