Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

experiment vegetable growing

Options
  • 29-02-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

i am considering to try to grow tropical veg in pollytunnel, which are normally not grown in Ireland.
    do I need any permission to grow them?
    I may go commercial after 2-3 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

joe_joe_jo wrote: »
    i am considering to try to grow tropical veg in pollytunnel, which are normally not grown in Ireland.
    do I need any permission to grow them?
    I may go commercial after 2-3 years?

Tropical plants would need a heated greenhouse. A standard polytunnel will still get too cold here in winter. There used to be heated greenhouses in parts of Ireland going back to the times of big stately homes growing pineapples but it became cheaper to import them. They were built of brick and glass and had solid fueled heating. I have seen space heaters fueled by gas used in commercial poly-tunnels in the UK.

As far as I know the only regulation on what you can grow here is a noxious weed act going back to close to the establishment of the Irish state. As far as I can remember there were no tropical vegetables on the list.

Advertisement