Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JobsMan

Big fan of Blair's Sudden Death for heat, but I found really delicious Irish made hot sauces from Mic's Chilli, who makes them in Wicklow of all places. I got Naga Knockdown as part of a Kris Kindle prezzie and it was fantastic. Seriously hot but great flavour. Then I saw another one of their sauces in town called Inferno Sauce Extreme, which is habanero based. Very spicy (though not as spicy as Naga Knockdown) and has a really sweet and fruity flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JobsMan wrote: »
    Big fan of Blair's Sudden Death for heat, but I found really delicious Irish made hot sauces from Mic's Chilli, who makes them in Wicklow of all places. I got Naga Knockdown as part of a Kris Kindle prezzie and it was fantastic. Seriously hot but great flavour. Then I saw another one of their sauces in town called Inferno Sauce Extreme, which is habanero based. Very spicy (though not as spicy as Naga Knockdown) and has a really sweet and fruity flavour.

Have a couple of them myself yeah. Very good. They make some with craft beer which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Inferno is the absolute greatest thing ever invented, as I say this as a big fan of Frank's & Sriracha.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭jace_da_face

I have taken a liking to Nando's. Available in Dunne's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JobsMan

I want to trave the Bravado Spice stuff, but its only recently expanded to the UK and yet to come to Ireland. One of the contestants from Hell's Kitchen (US Version) got sick of the show, left (or was told to leave, can't remember), and then I see him a few years later grafting with his friends to make a hot sauce. They did really well for a home-grown operation, and are now featured on the Hot Ones youtube show (interviews with spicy chicken wings).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 vincedh

Sriracha definitely as an everyday hot sauce that can be added to anything and currently on offer at 1.99 in many aldi stores as an end of special special.
    But an extremely hot sauce is Harrisons Very Hot Chilli Sauce. Not generally available here except in dipping pots in some places, but bottles available on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

My favourite is Mics Chilli Voodoo Reaper sauce. Its made with Carolina Reapers!

https://www.facebook.com/micschilli/photos/first-look-new-private-collection-entry-voodoo-reaper-with-50-carolina-reaper-ho/1652391698145881/

I am also a big fan of Franks Xtra Hot sauce. That nearly goes on all my meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Nok sauces screaming banshee and angel of death are good, I haven't tried crazy 3sum yet though. The are available at the Limerick milk Market or by post through their FB page.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

vincedh wrote: »
    But an extremely hot sauce is Harrisons Very Hot Chilli Sauce. Not generally available here except in dipping pots in some places, but bottles available on amazon

East End Very Hot Chilli Sauce is the hottest I can find, and it's so good. Some Indian/Pak shops sell it. Ground green habanero with a blast of ginger juice. Bit too hot for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Tefral wrote: »
    My favourite is Mics Chilli Voodoo Reaper sauce. Its made with Carolina Reapers!

https://www.facebook.com/micschilli/photos/first-look-new-private-collection-entry-voodoo-reaper-with-50-carolina-reaper-ho/1652391698145881/

That voodoo reaper sauce is not to be taken lightly. I'm serious.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That voodoo reaper sauce is not to be taken lightly. I'm serious.

I know yeah, its a good sauce. Ive gone through a few bottles now.

I actually grew my own reapers, serious pepper.

In a bar, they had Mic's carolina reaper bottle, for some reason.

Took one drop, very tasty, sweet and vegetable tones, but then OMG, slow build up to an intense burn. Wow!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    In a bar, they had Mic's carolina reaper bottle, for some reason.

Took one drop, very tasty, sweet and vegetable tones, but then OMG, slow build up to an intense burn. Wow!

Reapers are actually pretty sweet tasting initially until the intense heat kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Just back from a weekend away, and found two of Mics Chilli sauces in Ailwee caves shop.

Naga knockdown - which has been mentioned here (and has a 5 chili rating on the bottle) and
    Trouble in Trinidad - 6 chili rating and made with 50% Trinidad scorpion chilies.

Haven't opened them yet, but working up the courage.

Delivery arrived.

No idea how to make this smaller?! :confused:

Anyway all 3 are incredible. Not really that hot and seem to go with everything. Good article here

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredients/why-i-love-yellowbird-hot-sauce-condiment-article

2Qgi43D.jpg

Made some hot sauce with a Caroline Reaper today. Licked the back of the spoon. Still sweating 30 minutes later. Tasty though. Guajillos, honey, garlic and lime in it.

The Nal wrote: »
    ;)Made some hot sauce with a Caroline Reaper today. Licked the back of the spoon. Still sweating 30 minutes later. Tasty though. Guajillos, honey, garlic and lime in it.

Well done :) where did you get the reaper chilli?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The Nal wrote: »
    ;)Made some hot sauce with a Caroline Reaper today. Licked the back of the spoon. Still sweating 30 minutes later. Tasty though. Guajillos, honey, garlic and lime in it.

I've tried a couple of reaper/scorpion type hot sauces. And I've always found them to be big on heat, but lacking flavour. Maybe that's the nature of reapers being all capsaicin with room little else.
    I'm guess thats where the guajillos make up the shortfall

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well done :) where did you get the reaper chilli?

On some hot sauce stand in a market in Berlin.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I've tried a couple of reaper/scorpion type hot sauces. And I've always found them to be big on heat, but lacking flavour. Maybe that's the nature of reapers being all capsaicin with room little else.
    I'm guess thats where the guajillos make up the shortfall

Yeah they do alright. As do the honey and lime. Just enough to allow a bit of taste to come through. Its still as hot as you'll taste mind you. Don't know what to do with it!

Can also recommend this. Like a halfway between Tabasco and Franks but with more fruit. Cant wait to get it on some wings.

Capture.png

Proper image added now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

^^^^
    Image not showing

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Looks interesting, where did you find it?

Looks interesting, where did you find it?

Get Fresh in Rathfarnham in Dublin. Im sure the same suppliers would sell into Donnybrook Fair and Fallon and Byrne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Yeah thats the guy I got the reaper from! Bought this sauce from him. Very nice. Mild and fruity.

IMG-20200319-130058.jpg

I think that they give the % of the relevant chilli in it.
    They have one that is 50% reaper. Like acid I’d say.

Summer is over, picked my last batch of Birdseye chillis from the garden. Have maybe 40 in the fridge. Not sure what to do with them.
    Pickle, ferment, make a hot sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Summer is over, picked my last batch of Birdseye chillis from the garden. Have maybe 40 in the fridge. Not sure what to do with them.

If in doubt, dry them.

Wash them and put them whole, without stems, on a baking tray. Put them in a very warm oven (100c) with the oven door ajar for a couple of hours. They’re done when they become brittle and there’s no bend in them.

Lasts for years or until you decide what to do with them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always pickle any extra chillies I have.
    Wash and slice them, put into a clean jar and cover with boiling vinegar, sugar and salt. Seal The jar.

Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Tefral wrote: »

Ordered myself a collection of sauces from these guys, including a bottle of the voodoo reaper;)

Not sure if it's a gimic or not but they have a sale on at the moment and it's free delivery on orders over 20 quid.

• Advertisement

I always pickle any extra chillies I have.
    Wash and slice them, put into a clean jar and cover with boiling vinegar, sugar and salt. Seal The jar.

Works for me.
    Pickled most and kept some for fresh use.
    Plant surprised me with a load of new flowers this week. Might get another harvest off it yet.

Advertisement