Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Sauce I'm on latly is Crucials Chilli and Garlic sauce. Normally I'd never touch a tomato based chilli sauce, someone else bought this and I use it a lot now. It a real cheap kebab shop sauce that will take you back to any standard kebab experiance you have ever had. I have it on hot dogs and similar. Always has to be with mayonaise.

Sauce's I have ran out off are Encona original sauce. (That's nice on some liver with bread.)
    I also want a bottle of Goose Brand siracha again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Crystal hotsauce is very nice.
    Not crazy hot, great flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Franks going cheap
    EuroSpar are doing 2 bottles of Franks 350ml, original or buffalo wings version (don’t bother with the latter, it’s pure muck) for just €3.

An absolute steal for the numerous lockdown bbqs over the bank hol weekend.

Now, anyone got good deals on chicken wings and butter? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Valentina Is class and it’s now stocked in Dunnes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pacifico wrote: »

I have been on the lookout for Valentina for years! Hope Dunnes in Cork stock it. Cheers for the heads up.

• Advertisement

Crystal hotsauce is very nice.
    Not crazy hot, great flavour.

I like it too. I get the extra hot version. It's more sharp than fruity though.

The Mics, and West Cork are great though, but pricey. Artisan, eh!

Have one of the Aldi ones coming my way tomorrow. Can't think of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Frank's is the greatest.

Well, Mic's Chilli Inferno is the greatest.

But Frank's is the greatest, and I got a tray of Frank's Xtra Hot wings in the oven.

So, this is exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Frank's is the greatest.

It’s definitely one of the best available of that particular style.
    Had to lol at post slagging the buffalo version. It’s slightly different, but it’s 98% the same as original. Of course have a favourite. But delicious vrs muck. Lol

Mellor wrote: »
    It’s definitely one of the best available of that particular style.
    Had to lol at post slagging the buffalo version. It’s slightly different, but it’s 98% the same as original. Of course have a favourite. But delicious vrs muck. Lol

I've never tasted it but you always hear how bad it is!

I know you hear that. But I've tasted it, and the criticism is mostly nonsense stuff like you can "Taste the chemicals" :rolleyes:.

It's completely overstated imo. It's slightly different and a little thicker so its sticks better. The buffalo version is probably 95%+ made from original Franks. If you like Franks, but the shop is out of stock, I don't think you'll find the buffalo version to be offensive.

I'd be interested to see how it does in blind taste tests tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I really like the el yucateca sauces. Especially kutbik Il. Made to a Mayan recipe, apparently...
    Really nice savoury flavour, with no vinegar, and not sweet

Same here. Also the price puts me off too.

2.99 for regular, and 3.99 for wings in tesco. I usually see it being more expensive when really I reckon it should be cheaper.

regular
    Aged Cayenne Red Peppers (35%), Distilled Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder

wings
    Distilled Vinegar, Aged Cayenne Peppers (27%), Salt, Water, Canola Oil, Paprika, Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum, Natural Flavouring, Garlic Powder

So its like the wings is premade with canola oil instead of butter, and less peppers as you would expect as I think it is "eating strength". So I reckon it is cheaper to produce. If it was cheaper I might try it.

It reminds me of those premixed cans of coke & whiskey/vokda. They usually end up costing more than buying coke and mixing it to your own preference. My perference changes all the time.

I have never heard people say they prefer wings, unless they were not mixing the orginal with butter.
    I'd be interested to see how it does in blind taste tests tbh.
    well it seems you would easily pick it out
    Their wing sauce is just the regular sauce with artificial butter flavour added.
    The regular one with real butter added for wings is a lot nicer.

rubadub wrote: »
    So its like the wings is premade with canola oil instead of butter, and less peppers as you would expect as I think it is "eating strength". So I reckon it is cheaper to produce. If it was cheaper I might try it.
    I picked it up when I was doing wings last minute and the regular was gone. It was the same price. I since bought the extra hot that I prefer to the regular.

It's literally just regular sauce, plus canola oil, butter flavour and paprika.
    There's also a hot buffalo flavour. But I've never seen it.
    well it seems you would easily pick it out
    I think you misunderstood. As I said obviously pick out buffalo wings made with real butter vrs wings without. Regardless of what sauce is used.

I was talking about comparing sauces only. To be as fair as possible. Say;
    Original Franks, Buffalo Wings, Louisiana, Cholula. Mixed with a bland base, like shredded chicken.
    If the test was blind, I don't think anyone would called any of those muck.

I think you misunderstood. As I said obviously pick out buffalo wings made with real butter vrs wings without. Regardless of what sauce is used.

I was talking about comparing sauces only. To be as fair as possible. Say;
    Original Franks, Buffalo Wings, Louisiana, Cholula. Mixed with a bland base, like shredded chicken.
    If the test was blind, I don't think anyone would called any of those muck.
    My point still stands though, in blind tastes you would still be calling the regular one "far nicer", while still finding the other one OK. So your own earlier recommendations in this very thread might be putting people off risking buying it. If you are testing them with no butter added then why would the wings sauce even be in the lineup, its supposed to be "ready made with butter", it could be top of many peoples lists as most would not like the sauces on their own. It would be like a line up of vodkas and then a vodka premixed with coke.

I am not sure if the other poster literally meant it was absolutely vile and totally unpalatable, I would actually guess they did not. This is since I find most people I know calling something "muck" are exagerrating, and often just mean they prefer the other thing they mention. Like you hear hyperbole "heineken is absolute rotten piss water", "heinz ketchup is the vilest thing on the planet, I much prefer chef". while most of those people will actually make do with heineken or heinz if nothing else is on available at say a BBQ in a friends house.

I am not sure if the other poster literally meant it was absolutely vile and totally unpalatable, I would actually guess they did not. This is since I find most people I know calling something "muck" are exagerrating, and often just mean they prefer the other thing they mention. Like you hear hyperbole "heineken is absolute rotten piss water", "heinz ketchup is the vilest thing on the planet, I much prefer chef". while most of those people will actually make do with heineken or heinz if nothing else is on available at say a BBQ in a friends house.

Imagine if people were like Guinness drinkers when it comes to sauces.

-would you like some ketchup on your burger?

-do you have Chef?

-no only Heinz ketchup

-No thanks, I'll have horseradish sauce instead!

My point still stands though, in blind tastes you would still be calling the regular one "far nicer", while still finding the other one OK.
    If you are mixing one with butter and not the other it's not a blind test.
    If you prefer, mixed both with butter.

And if people in either case pick the buffalo sauce, that proves my point.
    So your own earlier recommendations in this very thread might be putting people off risking buying it. If you are testing them with no butter added then why would the wings sauce even be in the lineup, its supposed to be "ready made with butter", it could be top of many peoples lists as most would not like the sauces on their own.

It would be like a line up of vodkas and then a vodka premixed with coke.
    Because ultimately it's a hot sauce. That you can have either on their own or mix it with what ever you want. They are no rules for how you eat it.

I think you are grossly misunderstand the extent that it's "ready mixed". It's nothing like the vodka and coke example tbh. It's subtle butter flavour added, nothing close to 50/50 homemade buffalo.
    It's more like salted microwave popcorn vrs buttered microwave popcorn.
    That's was my point. That it's perfectly fine and the difference between the two is marginal.
    The biggest contributor is the extra butter.

Imagine if people were like Guinness drinkers when it comes to sauces.

-would you like some ketchup on your burger?

-do you have Chef?

-no only Heinz ketchup

-No thanks, I'll have horseradish sauce instead!

That's a perfectly analogy. Never thought about that, but it's really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Pacifico wrote: »

Just bought a bottle in Supervalue.
    Nice, spicy and hot, and no sugar, so not too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

The ones I have at the moment are Sriracha with Ginger (yellow cap), Frank's (Original and Chile 'n' Lime) and Cholula Chipotle. All lovely.

Another one I had a couple of times in the past is Beaver Brand Jalapeno Mustard. It is sensational! Harvey Nichol's is where I found it, but they thinned out their range a couple of years and don't stock it any more.

I was thinking of it only last week and found it in the British Corner Shop. I think I'm going to go for it and order it, along with some other goodies, to fool myself into justifying the delivery charge.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Get Fresh in Rathfarnham in Dublin. Im sure the same suppliers would sell into Donnybrook Fair and Fallon and Byrne etc.

Never even knew this place existed. Had a look at it on Google and it looks fantastic. Will definitely check it out next time I'm over Rathfarnham way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Any idea what's the closest you'd get to what Wishbone serve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Another sauce that I think is very tasty, would be the Frisco hot wings sauce by Cali Cali.

Irish made too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Big fan of The Rib Man Hot Sauces, have been getting them for some time now.

They can be sold out regularly, however he will tweet when he about to put up another batch.

https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

More of a cheap cooking hack, peri peri chicken wings in lidl, get a tray of chicken wings there and a bottle of their Batts Peri Peri medium hot sauce it's about 90cent a bottle.
    Pop the chicken wings in the oven for 25mins, cover them in the peri peri sauce for another 10 minutes while cranking the over up full blast. Perfect peri peri chicken wings, same works with there Batts sweet chilli sauce, nice and sticky but sweet.
    For €3 all in it's a cheap and tasty meal..

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Dropped into Rolfs in Innishannon and saw he has the range of Micks sauces. I was tempted by voodoo reaper, but I'm still working through trouble in Trinidad and naga.

Nothing can beat this stuff IMHO.
    A paste rather than a sauce, this is pure flavour and fire.

il-570x-N-1657116176-tjzs.jpg

Found it in HomeSense a while back.

Corvo wrote: »
    Big fan of The Rib Man Hot Sauces, have been getting them for some time now.

They can be sold out regularly, however he will tweet when he about to put up another batch.

https://theribman.co.uk/collections/sauces

Those shipping charges are insane. £16 minimum on a £5 order of 200ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I got a hankering for hot sauce, saw mics chilli is doing free delivery and 30% off (off what im not sure)

I've had a bottle of the normal inferno sauce and it is lovely, smash a load of wings no bother, not burning hot, that one is 60k scoville (varies) how hot should i try, they go up to 1.2m.

Im thinking i might get the extreme 100k and naga knockdown 600k, i am partial to a bit of burn, is 1.2m painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eeepaulo wrote: »
    i am partial to a bit of burn, is 1.2m painful?

On its own yeah. Fairly pointless on its own really. You're into Blair's territory there. Not much taste, just burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

That Batts piri piri from Lidl is a strange concoction. I use it to zing up a lasagne I do from time to time. I do want a proper piri piri to put on some jacket potatoes though. Will the shelves ever be free of Nando's lemon overloaded sauce I wonder? Or better still, they come out with a lemon free one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like micschilli.com and recently found a local company tribalfoods.ie that does a lovely sauce - Galway Gold Hot Sauce.
    The Jalapeno Salsa is also good.

Advertisement