Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro game of the Week, week 9... Kinda

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I used to love playing Boulder Dash 1/2 on the C64 many moons ago as a child. Can't remember much else about it other than watching that animated gif, although I seem to vaguely recall being frustrated by bugs; or just not having a clue how to finish a level or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ahem...
    rep01.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I knew Sparks would resurrect himself for this thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Played a port of this on PC when I was younger, great little game. Don't remember much but it did ring a bell!

See its been remade as a "freemium" game for mobile...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

steve_r wrote: »
    Played a port of this on PC when I was younger, great little game. Don't remember much but it did ring a bell!

See its been remade as a "freemium" game for mobile...

It was available, I think, as abandonware, easily found and downloaded before being played on one of the many emulated systems it was released upon, from the Atari to C64 and beyond.
    But, the game has always had some commercial release, most recently on Nintendo handhelds, with little success tbh.
    A lot of the charm in the game is in those visuals and sounds, queues for nostalgia which only seasons the gameplay pot further, while updates keep messing and updating everything turning it into a second rate effort that feels more like a freeware unauthorised piece of muck, similar to what they were doing with the Bomberman franchise for a long time, but many classics aren't immune.

I played it on the NES. I was probably 4 years old or so. I couldn't grasp the concept at all. I just got killed over and over. I hated this game. I swear I wasn't a stupid child :pac:

I think, at 4, people can be forgiven for a lot of mistakes.
    And the game gets quite challenging early on, the early levels act as primers for the rules and you do need good reaction times to avoid becoming red paste beneath a boulder!
    I was lucky therefore to come to videogames in my early teens, given that I'm ancient. :(

Advertisement