Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Help

• 29-02-2016 5:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice if I can?

I've a 2002 Clio, only 75K miles on it, but just failed the NCT and its looking like it would be too costly to repair (about 1100-1200 to repair the various things the NCT threw up).

Is there any point in trying to sell this or would it be accepted as a trade in for a used car?

Other option I guess would be to send it to a scrappage yard or something.

Secondly, for buying a car could someone recommend something for me?

I don't drive much, only 4,000 miles last year. Most journeys would be around town, with maybe a 1.5-2hour motorway journey once to twice a month.

I guess a budget in the range of 7-10K would be ok. Not bothered about hatchback/saloon. Looking for something fairly reliable that will last a few years.

Sorry for the basic questions, I don't know a whole lot about cars and only ever owned the one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are you looking for something similar along the lines of the Clio?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was happy enough with it, I always thought I could do with something a bit better for those longer trips, say 1.5 to 2 hours.

I was thinking maybe a 1.4 or something similar, maybe a corolla or something like that that.

The Clio did always seem to need something getting replaced every year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

With such little use , I'd go for something like a Vw UP / citigo/ Seat MII

I drove one on a motorway and they're well up for a long journey and will sit very happily at 140 kph and 60+ mpg and just magic around town

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-mii-1-0-mii-automatic/11644210?sv=true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thoughts on this? Seems to be priced a bit low for a 2013 or am I missing something obvious?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/used-2013-132-volkswagen-polo-tl-1-2-dublin-fpa-201014466376454640

Could be because it's not a very popular colour, mileage is a little higher than average for the year, base model and the garage selling it deal in alot of ex rental stuff. You would really need to check it out in person to see if it's tidy or not. A lot of ex rental stuff tends to have been abused or higher than normal wear and tear.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'l try and get a look at it over the weekend and see what its like.

I'd decided on a Fiesta, went to look at one last weekend. All good with the car. Only thing was the key used did not have Remote Central locking, I asked did the car have RCL and the dealer said it did but only on the main key not on the spare key.

Fair enough I thought, we discussed price, came to an agreement etc.

I've now transferred the cash across but get a call this morning to say that the car doesn't have RCL installed even though the key does have the button etc on it, you can't lock or open the car remotely.

Should I walk away from this at this point (which will involve asking for all the cash back) or just try to negotiate a discount? Pretty annoyed by this to be honest.

Car is a 2013, didn't think cars came without this feature at this stage.

Unfortunately it's an optional extra on the Fiesta even these days.

It's really up to you if you want to pull out of the sale or not. You will have to be the one living with the car. Given that used Fiestas are a dime a dozen then if rcl is important then just find another one that has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Am I reading it correctly that remote central locking is an optional extra on a modern car? :eek:

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

OP I'd get my deposit back to be honest. I wouldn't be living without rcl in this day and age.

Would you not consider a newer Clio? The new model is very nice and well specced..........including rcl :P

Yeah, I may do. Just had so many issues with the last one I was turned off Renault a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I may do. Just had so many issues with the last one I was turned off Renault a little bit.

Be realistic - it is 14 years old... It will have issues, even humans do at that age...

Yeah, I know that, I wouldn't rule out the Renault, I did do a lot of research and ended up on the Fiesta, which I really liked and to be honest is still looking like a good option for me. Just need to go get a different speced one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yeah, I know that, I wouldn't rule out the Renault, I did do a lot of research and ended up on the Fiesta, which I really liked and to be honest is still looking like a good option for me. Just need to go get a different speced one.

Which is an incredibly fun to drive car. I'd go there myself...

So they've come back offering to put in the remote central locking in the garage. Sounds like it would be a 3rd party solution with a separate key and RCL fob.

He says the charge for this is €270 but they would cover €200 of this.

I'd pretty much decided to walk away from this but this sounds like a reasonable solution I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

So they've come back offering to put in the remote central locking in the garage. Sounds like it would be a 3rd party solution with a separate key and RCL fob.

I'd pretty much decided to walk away from this but this sounds like a reasonable solution I guess.

It's only Eu70 but then because it's only 70 why can they not cover it themselves? I would Google prices for rcl installation in case the real cost to install is actually just the 70!!!
    I wonder did they know all along there was no rcl and were they just hoping once you'd agreed to the sale you wouldnt back out...

I honestly don't think he knew all along but when he called me this morning he certainly wanted me to just take the car as is. He didn't seem to have any issue with me backing out of the sale either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I wouldn't be happy with a 3dr party solution. I've had a few (old) cars where 3rd party alarms and remote central locking were fitted when new and I've had problems with all.

It's difficult to beat factory fitted, or the genuine rcl.

That's my main concern, and also the impact it could have on resale value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The fiesta that has optional remote locking is the basic one. I'd be aiming for zetec as a minimum on a fiesta.
    The killer is that it's only a €40 option or something, which would suggest the car was ordered specifically without it, which to me suggests ex fleet car or rental. Certainly if it was being ordered in for stock, you'd tick that option.

He said it was a demo car for test crives and what not. But agreed, I'm going to go for a zetec model that has the few extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bigus wrote: »
    With such little use , I'd go for something like a Vw UP / citigo/ Seat MII

I drove one on a motorway and they're well up for a long journey and will sit very happily at 140 kph and 60+ mpg and just magic around town

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-mii-1-0-mii-automatic/11644210?sv=true
    Good advice

Advertisement