Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera for honeymoon

Options
  • 29-02-2016 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Any bargains or recommendations for a camera for use on honeymoon?

Traveling around Italy so will be looking to take plenty of snaps but don't want anything too extravagant.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anything 100% wrong with your phones that you do not want to use them for this purpose ?

I mean im not sure you are going to gain alot from budget cameras.

What are you hoping for exactly that a phone would not have so folks can give you better solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

listermint wrote: »
    Anything 100% wrong with your phones that you do not want to use them for this purpose ?

I mean im not sure you are going to gain alot from budget cameras.

What are you hoping for exactly that a phone would not have so folks can give you better solutions

Have a Galaxy S6 but still don't really like taking anything other than candid shots with it.

Think I just like the idea of having a dedicated camera even if the spec is similar to the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

S6 camera is far superior to that Nikon. Dont get pulled into mp sizes. the more there is on them cheap cameras the worse the picture or the staedier the hand you need to have.

Have you a budget in mind?

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    S6 camera is far superior to that Nikon. Dont get pulled into mp sizes. the more there is on them cheap cameras the worse the picture or the staedier the hand you need to have.

Thinking somewhere between €200 and €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

http://www.pixmania.ie/bridge/canon-powershot-sx410-is-black-digital-camera/22464910-a.html#description

This Canon is a little over €200... if you wanted to go a bit better to the outer limit of your budget I saw Lidl advertising in todays Independant, I think it was the Canon SX530 for €299 (I can't find it on Lidl online). Lidl easier for returns if you don't like it but either will do a fine job for you. Have a great honeymoon.

And if you have any doubt about the security of your camera, pop the SD card out and put it in your purse, you will only get these memories once.. I lost the images of a 3 week holiday in South America to a stolen camera :-(

You could get a decent lower end dsl with 18-55mm lens for in and around that. Id recommend a canon 1100d. Simple to use and good spec, 1200d would be slightly higher spec and a bi dearer. If not have a look at this one

http://www.harveynorman.ie/digital-cameras/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-sx610hs-black.html

good processor, plenty of fun editing functions and comes with wifi and nfc so good for easy transfer if your bringing a tablet with you.

If youre looking for great detail, colour and potential to be low light (historical buildings etc) the one linked is a great option. Image Stabilisation is brilliant especially if you plan on zooming in on things.

Like previous poster said look after your sd card and dont buy a cheap one. I bought 1 on ali express and it corrupted on my wedding day.

You get a decent sandisk one for about 20 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Canon powershot in lidl tomorrow comes with free case ...a very easy camera to use has a lot of features but just as good in point and shoot mode...
    I think it's 299

The MP argument is related to the sensor size..
    im lost, are you also forgetting the zoom, Depth of field etc?

• Advertisement

Thinking somewhere between €200 and €300.

that changes things, are you looking at a bridge camera? size wise ?

do you want something that can fit in your pocket ? or something you need to throw over your shoulder ?

sunny2004 wrote: »
    The MP argument is related to the sensor size..
    im lost, are you also forgetting the zoom, Depth of field etc?

Yes its 20mp on a tiny sensor and weak processor combined with slow shutter speed. The phone has lower mp so less time to fill them mp, faster processor and the shutter isnt as influential as it takes like a 3 second clip and picks the best shot. If you arent using a tripod then the zoom on that camera will result in terrible pictures esp seen as it has no stabilisation built in. grand camera for in a car back in the day if you felt someone might tip into you but for your honeymoon, your phone would be better. like I said Id go for the stronger Canon camera or the Nikon equivelant. That nikon is an expensive paperwight

Yes its 20mp on a tiny sensor and weak processor combined with slow shutter speed. The phone has lower mp so less time to fill them mp, faster processor and the shutter isnt as influential as it takes like a 3 second clip and picks the best shot. If you arent using a tripod then the zoom on that camera will result in terrible pictures esp seen as it has no stabilisation built in. grand camera for in a car back in the day if you felt someone might tip into you but for your honeymoon, your phone would be better. like I said Id go for the stronger Canon camera or the Nikon equivelant. That nikon is an expensive paperwight

so much here lol ...
    sensor size, I don't know what the sensor size is in any phone, but my guess due to the proximity to the lens its relatively small, why do you think that in a compact camera its somehow smaller that the phone ?

ok the zoom and the requirement for a tripod ?? The camera shake you refer to is related to shutter speed, which is connected to the light level..
    so for the record, you are claiming the phone has superior shutter speed range ?

I am assuming you think the DOF is also superior on the phone ?
    the car accident ?? funny guy, so if the phone is superior then why had a cameras in the boot ?

Most of the rest is confusing to me, and I am a professional photographer :)
    Anyway, as the OP has stated hes not interested in using his phone for his honeymoon photos, so this entire argument, is rather silly bordering on stupid.. there is often a huge difference between what WE WANT TO BELIEVE and the FACTS of a situation..
    I got to get back to work ... please forgive me if I don't have the time to reply to you personally.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Ended up opting for a Sony HX60V after reading some good reviews and seeing it in store in PC World.

Handy size for travelling and looking forward to trying it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

http://www.pixmania.ie/bridge/canon-powershot-sx410-is-black-digital-camera/22464910-a.html#description

This Canon is a little over €200... if you wanted to go a bit better to the outer limit of your budget I saw Lidl advertising in todays Independant, I think it was the Canon SX530 for €299 (I can't find it on Lidl online). Lidl easier for returns if you don't like it but either will do a fine job for you. Have a great honeymoon.

And if you have any doubt about the security of your camera, pop the SD card out and put it in your purse, you will only get these memories once.. I lost the images of a 3 week holiday in South America to a stolen camera :-(

I got the Sx410 for my honeymoon about 2 weeks ago! It's really good, I think it was about €179 in Argos .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭getupthatyard

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Ended up opting for a Sony HX60V after reading some good reviews and seeing it in store in PC World.

Handy size for travelling and looking forward to trying it out now.

How did the camera work out for you WeleaseWoderick?
    Going on honeymoon in a few weeks and need to get a camera also, they look good from reviews I've read but I'd like to hear your opinion on it.
    Thanks

Advertisement