Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading advice needed

Options
  • 29-02-2016 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading from a self build from 2011. It's served me pretty well but I can feel the FPS is not quite smooth any more. Some info below.
    1. What is your budget? 500-650e
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Development/Gaming/Audio
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/Bluetooth etc.] No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not especially
    8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser/Bank Transfer
    9. When are you purchasing? Ideally soon but can wait
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No

Current Build
    1. Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155
    2. ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX
    3. 8GB-Kit G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U CL7
    4. Palit Geforce GTX 570 Sonic, 1280MB, PCI-Express
    5. Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W

I've looked at a few videos, namely this one and it didn't seem like upgrading CPU offered much more gaming wise, which seems hard to believe but I know most games are heavily GPU dependent for FPS.

So if I could get away with doing a small upgrade of just the GPU and maybe RAM, that would be desirable. I'm looking to not break the bank if possible and if it would require spending more, then I'd probably hold off until it was a good time (price wise) to upgrade.

So what do you guys think are my options?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Pretty sure that a GTX970 would suit your use case perfectly. That or a 390. No need to upgrade the RAM. The speed doesn't affect much and 8gb is still plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The ram is slow, depending on the games there could be a different between that and 1600mhz or 1866mhz ram, etc. Some games won't have any difference, some will.

Also the 2500K ideally needs to be overclocked to get the best value out of it, it's an especially designed overclocking CPU and you would have paid extra for this when you bought it. You would need a decent cooler, not the stock intel one if that's what you have.

8GB 1600mhz ram - 50
    GTX970 or R9 390 - 350
    Hyper 212 Evo - 30

total - 430 or less depending on card you buy, and of that you would get about 120 back for GTX570 + 8GB current ram. But upgrading your ram not overly critical and can do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

OK great this is kind of what I was hoping to hear. I actually do have a Scythe Mugen 3 which I bought at the time but never installed because Hardwareversand built the rig for me. (Just remembered that part). I'd imagine that's sufficient to overclock a bit?

As for the GPU, both seem to be similarly priced but which is better? It seems the E9 390 has better hardware but in some cases the 970 is equivalent or better? I've had an AMD before and the driver issues were enough to put me off. Is it worth going for the Nvidia for that reason?

Also where is a good site to buy the GPU? I'm a bit out of the loop for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Anima wrote: »
    I actually do have a Scythe Mugen 3... I'd imagine that's sufficient to overclock a bit?
    Yep.
    As for the GPU, both seem to be similarly priced but which is better? It seems the E9 390 has better hardware but in some cases the 970 is equivalent or better? I've had an AMD before and the driver issues were enough to put me off. Is it worth going for the Nvidia for that reason?
    The 390 is better in most games. AMD's driver issues tend to be limited to the first week of a game's release nowadays. Nvidia has better Day 1 drivers in general because they have the money and the staff right now.
    As games move over to DX12 the 390 will age better/last longer because the hardware is built for asynchronous compute whereas NV are soft-fixing it with less of a boost to be seen.
    Also where is a good site to buy the GPU? I'm a bit out of the loop for that.

This is the pick of the litter (balance of quiet and cool) and at a great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's the exact same as a build I did in 2011 all the same brands and models. I've since upgraded some parts but have the same cpu. I had my 2500k running at 4.5 ghz on that cooler. All you need is a new GPU and you're sorted for now.

The 2500k is only a limiting factor when I try to get more than 80fps(144hz monitor). For 60hz, once it's overclocked it's still very good.

Nvidia and AMD have a new line of cards coming out later this year but I've no idea what range they will be releasing first.
    I'd say get a new card now and enjoy all the new games coming out. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, I'll go for the R9 390 I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Asus R9 390 Strix is 275 on OCUK but it comes with free Star Wars Battlefront, Hitman 2016 and Far Cry Primal which is a great bundle.

Damn, that's a really good deal. Thanks

Advertisement