Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental yield and property value

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yes. I certainly looked at what comparable properties rent for in my location and compared that to the cost of a mortgage + costs of home ownership before choosing to buy.

It's a huge consideration for the reduction of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yes. I certainly looked at what comparable properties rent for in my location and compared that to the cost of a mortgage + costs of home ownership before choosing to buy.

It's a huge consideration for the reduction of risk.

if you look at what people say on boards about buying its never mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I think a more important factor is whether the area will appreciate in value. Some people have a small fortune in NYC by buying former warehouses in places like Willamsburg or Bushwich. Some apartments purchased have gone up 5/6 times in value in about 15 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513551/Lena-Dunhams-family-apartment-hits-market-6-25m.html

Buying a house in a rapidly gentrifying area would be more important to be than a rental yield that wont increase as much. I imagine you do well buying in the Liberites or on the NCR over the next 15/20 years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/when-it-comes-to-bidding-how-much-is-too-much-34491287.html

Do people actually use this when buying a home ? I would think investors would look at this but most potential home owners seem to just look at the price in the area for that particular property

Yes. I was renting in the same area, did the sums, and when rents went up by 60% in a few years it made more sense to buy.

It gives me some comfort that if I had to sell or rent out the price was at least linked to the utility value i.e. some people were prepared to pay €X per month to live there. Rents are a more accurate relfection of value than what people can borrow to buy a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I think a more important factor is whether the area will appreciate in value. Some people have a small fortune in NYC by buying former warehouses in places like Willamsburg or Bushwich. Some apartments purchased have gone up 5/6 times in value in about 15 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513551/Lena-Dunhams-family-apartment-hits-market-6-25m.html

Buying a house in a rapidly gentrifying area would be more important to be than a rental yield that wont increase as much. I imagine you do well buying in the Liberites or on the NCR over the next 15/20 years
    Add your reply here.

That area didnt do much during yen years of boom why would it happen now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jeamimus

They don't if they are buying a family home. They do if they believe it might get let out at some stage in the future.

Advertisement