Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disqualified from job before I could even apply

Options
  • 29-02-2016 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

My boss recently decided to leave her job, which opened up her position.

I have always wanted to work in her position (have the experience and qualifications) and given there was only two of us in this department, it would have seemed a natural progression.

I work very hard and way above what I am paid for.

So I was planning to apply for this job and in a meeting with about 20 people 2 weeks after she left, my house manager when talking about the opening made a direct comparison to me by saying "We will be looking for someone who has more X experience than Alan" (Alan is me).

There were external people in this meeting aswell.

He basically demonstrated that he has already made up his mind that I will not be chosen for the position even though the job has not even yet been advertised. He has basically disqualified me from the job even though I have worked in my current position for 3+ years.

So now im in the situation where I know that if I apply for the job I am going to be merely going through a pointless process.

Whats worse is that he said to me the other day that he would tell me when the position was advertised. I think he's just trying to keep me happy as there was a question I raised a few weeks ago over pay and remuneration given that I am now doing two peoples jobs. he wants me obviously to apply and then let me down gently. He must have forgotten I was in the room when he made a direct comparison to me and the new incoming person.

Is this legal?

I would have thought that I should have got a fair look ito this job, but now feel I can't even apply. There's no point as I already know I am disqualified based on his comments.

There s a good 15 - 25k difference in the wage.
    I am skilled and have a degree etc.

I feel this wasn't fair. How can i go about rectifying this? Someone in the organization has clearly made the decision that I am not to get the job... even if I apply.

Thanks,
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Do you feel your being discriminated against for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

Do you feel your being discriminated against for some reason?

Well I did go to him in the last few months to let him know I wasn't feeling so well as I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder following an accident outside of work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you not think on the basis of what was said and the significant difference in salary, that perhaps you genuinely don't have the experience required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Well I did go to him in the last few months to let him know I wasn't feeling so well as I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder following an accident outside of work.
    It's not right but telling him this probably ruined your chances of advancement in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

Is it at all possible that he's taking this into account?
    Maybe he thinks you might feel pressured into applying for the position, but don't really want to.
    It's possible that he said what he did in front of your colleagues to prevent people talking about why you didn't go for the job if that was the case.

If he picked out 'X' as the obstacle, is there any way you could show you have more ability in the area than he expects, or even demonstrate that from what you already know about the role that it's less important than other things you know well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

I'm sorry to hear you've not been well, but I don't think you've been discriminated against
    Your employer doesn't have to offer you an interview much less the position
    If I were you I would still apply of course but maybe it's just not for you this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

OP, your query might get further replies in the Work & Jobs forum. Send a PM to me if you want me to transfer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I have come across stuff like this many times.

Someone leave from a position of management and there is an automatic presumption from some of the team that they are either the best fit for the job or it's a natural progression.

however, from an organisation view point quite often the departure of a member of the management team is an opportunity to change things .. as in a new direction, new vision, new ideas and usually this is got from an outside hire.

You haven't been disqualified from the job, but the company have given an indication as to the level of qualification / experience required for the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Please note that this thread has been moved to the Work & Jobs forum and that their charter applies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is this legal?
    Yes; minor caveat about reason but if it is for experience etc. that's all over board.
    I feel this wasn't fair. How can i go about rectifying this? Someone in the organization has clearly made the decision that I am not to get the job... even if I apply.
    Schedule a meeting with him and say what you heard and ask why he thinks you'd not be suitable and realize that his view of you may not match your own view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There s a good 15 - 25k difference in the wage.

If the gap is that different, then I doubt you would ever be in the running for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Perhaps your previous boss did not leave, but was let go as he/she did not have the capability to do the job, they may be intending to hire someone with much more experience or qualifications.

Admitting to having PTSD, was probably not going to improve your chances in getting a job with higher responsibility, pressure and probably additional stresses.

Don't make the mistake that your boss has to be fair, he has to act in the best interest of the company, fairness does not come into it.

Option 1: Promote you and back-fill with someone of lesser experience and quals.
    Option 2: Hiring a new more experience person and keep you.

Option 2 is the stronger Option for the company and costs the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I don't understand, he has said you don't have enough experience in X. Unless this is untrue, then he made it clear you don't meet the criteria for the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I think you're over-thinking this OP. You should apply and have some kind of faith that the best candidate will get the job. That may, or may not, be you.

From your description this would be a promotion for you, and to be fair there may be more qualified/experienced candidates than you elsewhere within the company or just outside it. It was a poor choice to mention you by name but perhaps they wanted to make it clear that to all there wouldn't be an automatic progression for a staff member (you) when the role is a promotion - so that people from other departments/externals wouldn't think there's no point in applying because 'Alan' has it sewn up.

Throw your hat in the ring and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Interview at other companies for that position, see how you do.

Advertisement