Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 29-02-2016 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I bought a ton of GAMSAT Material some months ago but gave up studying after about 2 days. However I am going to have another go at it if I can get the right guidance. The reason being that I didn't know what material to learn and what was irrelevant. It was all just overwhelming and complicated :confused:.

Is there any guide that could show me what is necessary to study and what I can leave out?

Also I am from non-science background so its just the section 3 I need advice on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭azure

azure wrote: »
    I bought a ton of GAMSAT Material some months ago but gave up studying after about 2 days. However I am going to have another go at it if I can get the right guidance. The reason being that I didn't know what material to learn and what was irrelevant. It was all just overwhelming and complicated :confused:.

Is there any guide that could show me what is necessary to study and what I can leave out?

Also I am from non-science background so its just the section 3 I need advice on.
    Anyone? :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

PM sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Any advice would also be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DonalG45

I don't know of any guide that can tell you, for certain, which areas you should cover and which you could leave out. Honestly, I would be skeptical of anyone who claimed to know this. Acer's response to the question of what to study for section III is, as far as I know, to cover Biology and Chemistry up to 1st Yr University level and Physics to Leaving Cert level. I think they have deliberately made this pretty vague because they have not designed the gamsat to test rote-learning. It is more about solving problems under pressure. From my own experience, many of the questions that I'm sure I answered correctly were on topics that I had little to no previous knowledge of. I have also heard people complain about topics being featured on the exam that are much more in depth than 1st yr Uni level. The take home message here is that you can answer many of the questions by carefully reading them and eliminating answers that are obviously incorrect. Having said that, background knowledge of science is extremely helpful and you do of course need to do some study! I can only speak from my own experience, but if you like I can give you an idea of what I studied/what I found helpful in the exam etc.

Advertisement