Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceann Comhairle

• 29-02-2016 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭

So, before we elect a Taoiseach, we need to elect a Ceann Comhairle.

Whither Enda Kenny?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Victor wrote: »
    So, before we elect a Taoiseach, we need to elect a Ceann Comhairle.

Whither Enda Kenny?

I thought the present lad was reelected automatically? ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Truckermal wrote: »

Re-elected to the Dáil automatically, but not necessarily to the position of Ceann Comhairle after the new Dáil sits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Zaph wrote: »
    Re-elected to the Dáil automatically, but not necessarily to the position of Ceann Comhairle after the new Dáil sits.

Apparently it's by secret ballot too which I never knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Apparently it's by secret ballot too which I never knew.
    That's a new thing, only brought in recently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What would make more sense would be if the Ceann Comhairle were elected as the last action of the dissolved Dail. He would then be non-constituency, so all constituencies would have a full complement. He would then serve in the new Dail until the next dissolution, or he retired. If he was re-elected, then would continue but could not return to a constituency. In order to be eligible he would need to be long serving as a TD, and could be considered to be non-party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Paddy power have Michael ring as favourite for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Paddy power have Michael ring as favourite for it.

FG will need all their numbers if they are to form a government. The only way I can see a FG TD becoming CC is if FF insist on it as part of a coalition. Both FG and FF have publically denied that they will form the next government, ergo it must be true. So its a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,480 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What would make more sense would be if the Ceann Comhairle were elected as the last action of the dissolved Dail. He would then be non-constituency, so all constituencies would have a full complement. He would then serve in the new Dail until the next dissolution, or he retired. If he was re-elected, then would continue but could not return to a constituency. In order to be eligible he would need to be long serving as a TD, and could be considered to be non-party.

I think the current system makes more sense. As Ceann Comhairle, they may not offer the same service to the constituents that they may normally do so might well find it hard to get re elected having been 5 years in the role. Automatically returning them is therefore a reasonable solution.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

mickdw wrote: »
    I think the current system makes more sense. As Ceann Comhairle, they may not offer the same service to the constituents that they may normally do so might well find it hard to get re elected having been 5 years in the role. Automatically returning them is therefore a reasonable solution.

It could be given as a sort of lifetime achievement award - some TD who is long in the tooth and starting to go soft in the head but needs an extra 5 years to get full pension could be slotted in. Or maybe someone who is a spent force after being kicked out of a ministry. James Reilly or Alan Shatter anyone? Anyone?

It could be given as a sort of lifetime achievement award - some TD who is long in the tooth and starting to go soft in the head but needs an extra 5 years to get full pension could be slotted in. Or maybe someone who is a spent force after being kicked out of a ministry. James Reilly or Alan Shatter anyone? Anyone?

They need to be able to command the respect of the Dáil to bring the house to order when things kick off. That would have ruled out Reilly, they probably would have just laughed at him.

• Advertisement

They need to be able to command the respect of the Dáil to bring the house to order when things kick off. That would have ruled out Reilly, they probably would have just laughed at him.

Barrett has had his fair share of slagging matches though. Unless they could choose a non-TD like John Bowman. I'd tune into that

FG will need all their numbers if they are to form a government. The only way I can see a FG TD becoming CC is if FF insist on it as part of a coalition. Both FG and FF have publically denied that they will form the next government, ergo it must be true. So its a good bet.

But because FF have less seats than FG, will they actually want a FF CC?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mickdw wrote: »

Your missing my point. Once they become Ceann Comhairle, they cease to have a constituency, so they do not have constituents. They either continue as Ceann Comhairle or retire. Consequently, the Ceann Comhairle position would only suit long serving TDs who are close to retirement, and who consider this as an alternative - such as Pat Rabbitte, Ruairi Quinn, or Eamonn Gilmore all of whom retired from this Dail. Eamonn Gilmore has to wait 5 years for his pension as he is only 60, and it would suit him very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Your missing my point. Once they become Ceann Comhairle, they cease to have a constituency, so they do not have constituents. They either continue as Ceann Comhairle or retire. Consequently, the Ceann Comhairle position would only suit long serving TDs who are close to retirement, and who consider this as an alternative - such as Pat Rabbitte, Ruairi Quinn, or Eamonn Gilmore all of whom retired from this Dail. Eamonn Gilmore has to wait 5 years for his pension as he is only 60, and it would suit him very well.

That's completely incorrect.

The outgoing Ceann Comhairle, Sean Barrett, has been automatically re-elected as a TD for Dun Laoghaire.
    There isn't a hope in hell of him winning the secret ballot this time around (he's made too many enemies in the last 5 years), so once the new Dáil is seated he'll return to the back benches, where he serves as one of three FG TDs for Dun Laoghaire.

None of Rabbitte, Quinn or Gilmore are eligible this time around, as they aren't going to be members of the 32nd Dáil.

Of all the recent Ceann Comhairle's, all except O'Donoghue have taken a seat on the back benches in the Dail following their stint as CC, and have then retired at the following election.

A good example of a CC who continued in politics after their term of office was Sean Treacy in 1977. After completing a term as CC and being automatically re-elected, he stood 4 more times again for Labour in Tipp South in 1981, 1982 (twice) and 1987.

But because FF have less seats than FG, will they actually want a FF CC?

CC only gets to vote in the event of a tie, so when the numbers are tight the larger parties will appoint one of their rivals as Ceann Comhairle.

So lets say its 51 FG 45 FF. If the CC is FG it will be 50/45 or a difference of 5. If it is a FF CC it will be 51/44 or a difference of 7. So FG would want a FF CC to increase the gap and FF might insist on a FG CC to reduce the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Barrett was the wrong choice and peed off all sides and was seen to be biased against certain people, signs on the new rule on the secret ballot and his decision not to put his name forward, he wouldn't have a hope of being RE elected

blackwhite wrote: »
    That's completely incorrect.

The outgoing Ceann Comhairle, Sean Barrett, has been automatically re-elected as a TD for Dun Laoghaire.
    There isn't a hope in hell of him winning the secret ballot this time around (he's made too many enemies in the last 5 years), so once the new Dáil is seated he'll return to the back benches, where he serves as one of three FG TDs for Dun Laoghaire.

None of Rabbitte, Quinn or Gilmore are eligible this time around, as they aren't going to be members of the 32nd Dáil.

Of all the recent Ceann Comhairle's, all except O'Donoghue have taken a seat on the back benches in the Dail following their stint as CC, and have then retired at the following election.

A good example of a CC who continued in politics after their term of office was Sean Treacy in 1977. After completing a term as CC and being automatically re-elected, he stood 4 more times again for Labour in Tipp South in 1981, 1982 (twice) and 1987.

You are still missing the point.

The election for CC would take place BEFORE the dissolution so they would have been eligible. Furthermore, once a TD becomes CC, he CANNOT return to be a constituent TD - he must resign from the Dail.

This is anew proposal - different from what is there currently.

It is wrong that a TD who is elected as a normal TD cannot serve his elctorate once he is made CC. Nor is ir right that a constituent in a 3 seater constituancy has only two TDs to go to if one of the three is CC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Furthermore, once a TD becomes CC, he CANNOT return to be a constituent TD - he must resign from the Dail.
    Says who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Says who?
    I think that's Sam's proposal - that election to the position of CC effectively becomes your testimonial and once you give up the chair, you go home.

I don't favour an outgoing CC selection tbh. It's inherently undemocratic - in theory none of the outgoing TDs may be elected next time, yet they're voting in a CC for the next crowd.

Plus it could be abused as a way to protect a member who is destined to be ousted at the next election - think James Reilly. Instead of throwing them to the wolves, the outgoing government can conspire to guarantee them at least one more term in the Dail, even if it is in the chair, it's a large paycheque.

At least in the current system, the selected CC will have been elected by the people to the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Outside of the two main parties, who may not want it for tactical reasons, I cannot see any of the smaller parties wanting it either. That leaves SF or the Independents. Caoimhin O'Caolain is the only Shinner in the Dail long enough to warrant it. Gives them the advantage of two definite seats in Cavan/Monaghan next time out.

Among the independents Denis Naughten or Finian McGrath are possibilities. Hard to see anyone else doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I reckon they should vote for whichever returned Independent had the lowest attendance in the previous Dail ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You are still missing the point.

The election for CC would take place BEFORE the dissolution so they would have been eligible. Furthermore, once a TD becomes CC, he CANNOT return to be a constituent TD - he must resign from the Dail.

This is anew proposal - different from what is there currently.

It is wrong that a TD who is elected as a normal TD cannot serve his elctorate once he is made CC. Nor is ir right that a constituent in a 3 seater constituancy has only two TDs to go to if one of the three is CC.

Hadn't seen your original post - thought you were talking about the current system.

Fully agree with your last point there BTW - it's the major flaw in the current CC system

seamus wrote: »
    I think that's Sam's proposal - that election to the position of CC effectively becomes your testimonial and once you give up the chair, you go home.

I don't favour an outgoing CC selection tbh. It's inherently undemocratic - in theory none of the outgoing TDs may be elected next time, yet they're voting in a CC for the next crowd.

Plus it could be abused as a way to protect a member who is destined to be ousted at the next election - think James Reilly. Instead of throwing them to the wolves, the outgoing government can conspire to guarantee them at least one more term in the Dail, even if it is in the chair, it's a large paycheque.

At least in the current system, the selected CC will have been elected by the people to the Dail.

That is possible certainly. However, how many judges appointed by a partisan government turn out to be biased - (at least obviously so) - towards their party that appointed them. Surely the CC is a quasi judicial appointment and could be considered such.

Another point is that it is a one term appointment with no return.

I think O'Reilly would have less chance of being elected CC as he had of being re-elected to the Dail.

A secret ballot would help.

CC only gets to vote in the event of a tie, so when the numbers are tight the larger parties will appoint one of their rivals as Ceann Comhairle.

So lets say its 51 FG 45 FF. If the CC is FG it will be 50/45 or a difference of 5. If it is a FF CC it will be 51/44 or a difference of 7. So FG would want a FF CC to increase the gap and FF might insist on a FG CC to reduce the gap.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make but you made it much better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Mick Wallace be great craic :)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wouldn't be at all surprised if someone like John McGuinness got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

On the FG benches the most likely are Ring and Creed neither are ministerial quality however it is unlikely that the CC will come from FG. If they form a minority government there will be 30 ministerial positions to be filled from within the party as Labour will go into opposition. It is unlikely that Labour will release someone to be CC but if Joan is cute she will let Brendan Howlin go for it that should secure her as leader of the Labour party.

On the FF side Brendan Smith or Eamon O'Cuiv are possible choices, Tommy Broughan is about the only choice from the independents. Cannot see FF and FG giving such a plum position to SF. I plump for Brendan Smith

Slava Ukrainii

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

On the FG benches the most likely are Ring and Creed neither are ministerial quality however it is unlikely that the CC will come from FG. If they form a minority government there will be 30 ministerial positions to be filled from within the party as Labour will go into opposition. It is unlikely that Labour will release someone to be CC but if Joan is cute she will let Brendan Howlin go for it that should secure her as leader of the Labour party.

On the FF side Brendan Smith or Eamon O'Cuiv are possible choices, Tommy Broughan is about the only choice from the independents. Cannot see FF and FG giving such a plum position to SF. I plump for Brendan Smith

Tactical considerations also play a part. O Cuiv is the only FF TD in his constituency. They will not want to have no TD there. They would look to Pat Cope in Donegal who is an elder politician and who would help ensure that SF have trouble getting back the second seat by bringing down the number of seats on offer in Donegal to 4 at the next election. #

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

To date the only TD who has expressed an interest, as far as I know, is John Deasy FG, He needs the support of 7 TDs as part of the nomination process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Re-elected to the D il automatically, but not necessarily to the position of Ceann Comhairle after the new D il sits.

So why exactly did he get a free pass then?

screamer wrote: »

The outgoing Ceann Comhairle is automatically re-elected. That's always been the case. Nobody knows who is going to be the CC until the next Dáil sits. It may be the previous CC or it could be someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

The outgoing Ceann Comhairle is automatically re-elected. That's always been the case. Nobody knows who is going to be the CC until the next D il sits. It may be the previous CC or it could be someone else.
    Ok but why? They're outgoing they're going to be replaced so why do they just get another 5 year term automatically? If they were staying on as CC I understand but they don't. So why do they get a free pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ok but why? They're outgoing they're going to be replaced so why do they just get another 5 year term automatically? If they were staying on as CC I understand but they don't. So why do they get a free pass?
    Because that's what the Constitution and legislation say.

In practice, the CC plays a neutral role in the Dáil and doesn't get to pull strokes for their constituents, which leaves them at an electoral disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because that's what the Constitution and legislation say.

In practice, the CC plays a neutral role in the Dáil and doesn't get to pull strokes for their constituents, which leaves them at an electoral disadvantage.
    As Victor says. In effect, the CC has been elected but denied the opportunity to serve their constituency. So they get a free pass the next time around to "catch up" and do what they were originally elected to do.

Advertisement